Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. John Bagnato - Bagnato Bandits

Mia, you hit it in your post, that you used to use food to comfort you when you felt bad. You've been stressed and you relied on the old faithful method last night. It happens! I think it is just falling into those old habits. I know there are lots of times I don't feel like cooking, so we'll pick up take out or eat something "quick and easy" which means fattening, usually. I guess we have to find some easy things to do that are healthier and start making those a habit. You've only been at this a few months, so it is understandable that the old habits you've lived with so long were easy to turn to. You'll remember this feeling for next time. And at least you were a pound down!

Quick question - Dr. Bagnato moved me to mushies last week. Monday will be one week. Think I'm okay to start on softs Monday? I'm really ready to actually chew some food! LOL!

This is a much better day! Guess what? You all would be so proud!!! I have learned new ways to torture my Kindergarteners. Yay me. Actually, I have learned that time out is just not working, these kids just dont care, so today, I started making them write sentences! Yes, sentences. They hate it, they have to write I will follow class rules on the front and back of the paper. Sounds cruel, right? But there are only 6 lines on each side, so there.

Also, and this nearly started a riot, but they all decided to start talking during writing today. All except 3 students were just chit chatting away, so I pulled out the ole prize box and gave the three a a chance to pick out anything they wanted. Yes folks, the rest of the class nearly pitched a fit.

Yes, it is good to torture children sometimes.

But my problem is this, a 10 - 15 minute lesson will take over 30 minutes sometimes because these children will NOT stop talking or getting out of their seats, or talking, or talking - and it is a chain reaction thing, one will say something that is totally not about the lesson, then all 15 start talking...I kid you not.

Anyway, just wanted to say that today is better than yesterday, no one is dead, and I am in a better frame of mind.

Back to my lean cuisine....

Wow Jonathan, You are a machine...losing 100 pounds so fast. Are you exercising?

I am doing the couch to 5 k program and also working out at Tony's.

Wow Jonathan, You are a machine...losing 100 pounds so fast. Are you exercising?

I am doing the couch to 5 k program and also working out at Tony's.

I walk and ride my stationary bike. Other than that, I don'gt drink when I am eating and wait an hour.

Okay, today was my first work lunch. In my job, I have to frequently attend and host luncheons and dinners, and I'm really nervous about how to eat in these situations in my early days. Monday, Dr. Bagnato told me I could slowly start moving to mushies and some softs.

We ordered in from Applebee's and did the 'pick and pair' combos. I had chicken noodle Soup, and mainly ate the broth and a few noodles chewed very well. A coworker who knows of the band and is scared to death I'll die of malnutrition (haha) also gave me a side of penne Pasta. I probably had 4 or 5 noodles cut in half, again chewed really well.

Does this sound like I did okay? I stopped as soon as I felt full and only took a tiny sip of Water once or twice. Yeah, I know that isn't allowed but I was coughing and needed it.

Dessert came next, some type of dessert bar with a cream cheese topping. I tasted the topping and took a teeny taste of the bar and then put my napkin over it to signal I was done. Again, I chewed the heck out of it.

Did I do okay? It is about an hour and a half out and I feel fine, my tummy made some gurgling noises, but I've had no discomfort.

And one more question...think baked fish is okay? It is on the soft foods, right?

Mia remember you don't have any fills yet so you'll have trouble eating smaller portions. Don't beat yourself up over this. The weekends are harder for most everyone. When you want to eat out, just try and make better choices than you would have before. 3 slices of pizza is definitely better than 4 or 5 and if you make it thin crust you're doing even better. Find the little ways to cut out some of the bad. We love a place called Tokyo Express, which can be very bad, but I've found that I'm very satisfied with ordering a side. This leaves out the rice and sweet carrots they serve and is a smaller portion. Remember the goal is still to eat what we enjoy, but to do it smarter.

I'm sorry to hear about your struggle with the clothes that can be very depressing, but remember one day and sooner than you realize, you'll be able to go shopping anywhere and they'll fit. That may not help right now, but it is going to happen sooner than you realize and you'll be so proud of yourself. Keep up the good work

allykat-it sounds like you did great at lunch today and yes baked fish is considered a soft/mushy food.< /p>

Paragirl - It sure does make us feel great to get over on the students sometimes. Have you tried this one? At recess time you make them sit quietly for 1 minute, but everytime someone talks (or makes a sound) the 1 minutes starts over again. It can take the whole recess time to get the 1 minutes of silence. Then the kids get mad at each other for ruining it for them. Try it you might like it.

Mia: Girl, you are a plus sized bride. I think overall the wedding industry assumes that no one over a size 10 gets married. Take that back..no one who makes less than a 6 figure income who is plus sized wants get married. If you are a size 40 and you make 6 figures you can have a versace gown made if you wanted it. My friend wears a size 16...do you know what kinds of crimes against humanity i would commit to wear a 16..and she had the hardest time finding a dress. Then when we found one she liked (that did not make her either look like a bar maid or the owner of a burleque house.. the price tag was so big it looked like someone had attached thier social security number where the price should have been. I was a bridesmaid at wonderful size of 26/28 so finding something for me was even worse. She lucked out and found a lady who hand made everything. it was a big price but nothign compared to what the designer price tag would ahve been.

You are an emotional eater. I got banded with my insurance and I never had pre-band counseling. I would liek to have it, becaseu i know food is as much emotional for me as it is a physical problem. I know for a fact that i will always be an emotianl eater...i dont drink, i dont smoke, i dont do drugs, i eat. Get me upset...and once I can catch breath from cussin' i want to shove food in my mouth. the thing for me is that eating when i am upset is not the thing that does the most damage...it is the beating myself up over eating crappy food when i am emotional that does the most lasting damage. It always ends in a gigantic Pity Party and I-Can't-Do Campaign. So i have resolved that if i am pissed and i want (insert highly fattening, but highly delicious comfort food here), I will have it and enjoy it. However, i will not beat myself up over it. Now i agree that this is not the healthiest way...but it is how I deal with it. Truth is most of the time, I can steer away from the comfort food becaseu i know how severly depressed i will feel after eating it. so what's the point of eating it and enjoying it for a second then being depressed over it all day. Now I think I get more vicotry over being able to say NO to the food than actually eating it. I feel like a champ when i am able to realize that this food is both emotionally and physically unhealthy for me.

Allykat: you went to applebees and that is all you had!! girl, you did fantastic in my opinion. that is like me going into to lane bryant on a 80% off sale and only buying a sock!! note: on "sales" i have been known to coem out there -$200. I think the fact that you are even looking at your and trying to choose the better options is a humongous step in the right direction.

Take care everyone.

Stupid question:

How do I make my weight loss ticker work? I'm trying but I think it's not showing up right. Also, is my picture working... I can't see it.

Mynmann:

You have to go to your profile and edit your signature. You post your ticker on your signature so that whenever you leave a post your ticker will show up.

Oh...

also they will give you differnt kinds of formats to post your ticker. Don't use the "html" format becaseu it won't show up. Make sure that you use the "bb" format. the bb format allows you to post on a Bulletin Board format like this one. I think that is the problem with yours. Mine did the same thing when i first posted.

Also, dont lose your pin/pasword to your ticker. You need this to update your ticker. if you lose/forget it you will have to make a whoel new one. What is the pic problem? do you mean your avatar pic or are you trying to post a before and after pic?

I hope this helps.

Hello Everyone and Welcome to the new Baganto Bunch!!!

It's official. I am depressed and want to thank each of you in advance for lending a cyber-ear to my woes. I was banded on 1/18, and to be honest I didn't really do a pre-op diet. Went to a seminar, visited the office the next week and had my surgery on that Friday. The quick turn around was because I'd decided I wanted the band, but had to simply choose a doctor and being self-pay, I was able to schedule right away.

With that being said, I lost 15 pounds the first week after surgery, another 3 before the first fill, and have toyed with losing and gaining the same three pounds since my first fill on 2/25. I feel as though I have very little restriction, I'm struggling to get in all of the Water and I'm really not working out that much because I really don't feel motivated. I suppose pre-band counseling might have been a good idea and post-band is always an option, but I'm truly struggling right now. It's truly frustrating to have family and friends constantly ask, "How much have you lost?", and have nothing more to report.

I have my second fill on 3/11 and I'm hoping that it works better for me than the first. I've joined the gym, and haven't truly taken advantage of it, so I went to Sears today and bought a treadmill. (On sale for 799) Now I will have no excuses for not exercising.

I'm really glad that you guys are doing so well. I just want to be able to post some real success!!!!! Thanks again for letting me share. I honestly don't know what I'd do withough my fellow Bandits!!!

Hello Everyone and Welcome to the new Baganto Bunch!!!

It's official. I am depressed and want to thank each of you in advance for lending a cyber-ear to my woes. I was banded on 1/18, and to be honest I didn't really do a pre-op diet. Went to a seminar, visited the office the next week and had my surgery on that Friday. The quick turn around was because I'd decided I wanted the band, but had to simply choose a doctor and being self-pay, I was able to schedule right away.

With that being said, I lost 15 pounds the first week after surgery, another 3 before the first fill, and have toyed with losing and gaining the same three pounds since my first fill on 2/25. I feel as though I have very little restriction, I'm struggling to get in all of the Water and I'm really not working out that much because I really don't feel motivated. I suppose pre-band counseling might have been a good idea and post-band is always an option, but I'm truly struggling right now. It's truly frustrating to have family and friends constantly ask, "How much have you lost?", and have nothing more to report.

I have my second fill on 3/11 and I'm hoping that it works better for me than the first. I've joined the gym, and haven't truly taken advantage of it, so I went to Sears today and bought a treadmill. (On sale for 799) Now I will have no excuses for not exercising.

I'm really glad that you guys are doing so well. I just want to be able to post some real success!!!!! Thanks again for letting me share. I honestly don't know what I'd do withough my fellow Bandits!!!

Bamboo-

I went through the exact same feelings before I got my second fill. Heck I have such a roller coaster range of feelings from one day to the next regarding my weight loss- I too grow tired of the 'how much have you lost' questions- almost to the point of wishing I hadn't told a darn soul I was having it done. I am hoping a good fill will give you better restriction and maybe in a few more days you will have one! Heck I keep wondering how I was banded a day earlier than you and you get fills sooner than I do- LOL. I don't go back again until March 20- The weekend is upon me and that is usually when I fall off the bandwagon so to speak- Hang in there and Keep your chin up- your weight loss is nothing to shun- but i do sympathize with wanting to lose more. *hug*

I need ideas for ceremony music at my wedding- Anyone have a song they can recommend to us? Seems I cannot find that perfect one.

Mia;

Thanks for the post. I know what you mean about not telling anyone. I honestly didn't think it would affect me this way, I'm the youngest of my siblings and I've always been somewhat of an open book with my family. Good and bad. My older sister laughs because she says that I don't know the meaning of 'private'. Well, I've just learned. And to top that off, I told my church members!! Biiiggg mistake!! Now I feel as though everyone is just waiting on Sunday morning to see if I'll look different. I suppose the flip side to that is some accountability for me.

I also noticed our fill dates. It's been that way from the beginning. Malik did tell me that scheduling is so hectic, it changes by the hour. I was orignally scheduled for my second fill on the 17th, but called Malik to see if I could come in earlier, she had literally just checked 20 minutes earlier for someone else, and there was nothing before the 20th!!! Someone cancelled in between her last check and my call!!! Thank God!!!

BTW, you are doing great! Don't beat yourself up about the weekend thing, it's a really hard habit to break. And three slices of thin crust is far better than a whole medium deep dish! And I'm really glad that you found your dress. At this rate, it will be too big by your wedding day!!! Now wouldn't that make you want to float down the isle to your intended one? (lol)

Bamboobabe - Don't get discouraged, although I know it is so hard not to. What you are doing is what ALWAYS makes me throw the towel in on a diet. That up/down/up/down messes with your head, your self confidence, and your motivation...don't let it! This is when it is good to be measuring yourself, because sometimes you'll see a difference there when the scale isn't moving.

I struggle with exercising, too. I really don't hate it. I have a sister who is addicted and I wish it would rub off on me. Sadly, doesn't appear to be happening! LOL!

Mia - what type of music? Instrumental? Or something for someone to sing?

As for me, I had baked grouper and some Pasta last night for dinner. I actually ate what the family was having. I don't know what is different, but I can definitely tell that yesterday I could eat more than I have any other day since surgery. I didn't overeat by any means, but I did eat more than the 1/4 cup I've been eating. I'd say it was maybe 1-2 oz of fish and maybe 10-15 bowtie pastas in a cheese sauce. I can tell that I probably had more sodium today since the scale was a pound and a half up! I know I shouldn't be concentrating on loosing before the first fill, but that is hard not to do.

Quick question on the OTC - does anyone know my hours? I'm scheduled for my first fill around 10 am one morning and being from Tville, that isn't exactly convenient. Just wondering what their normal hours are so that I can call and reschedule.