Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reaction to being "severly obese"

Is it possible to be declined cause your BMI is too high? I'm just beginning my research for getting banded and have a BMI about 55. Yikes..! :frown:

Tammru, there is a whole sub-forum especially for people with a starting BMI of over 50: BMI over 50 - Lap Band Talk Forum - The largest forum for Lap Band Surgery Discussion and Lap Band Surgery Support so I guess that means there are quite a few in that situation. Good luck on your journey and I hope it works out for you.

Tammru I had a BMI over 50 & had surgery a month ago. Ive lost 31 pounds. I had my blood work done for my diabetes last week and my A1C was already down. Best Wishes!

While I paid attention to the BMS, I don't give to much creedance to the obese, severely obese and morbidly obese. While in my 20's at 5'4" I weighed 140 within a year of having a baby and the doctor (my first visit with her) said I was morbidly obese. That really messed up my head. OMG I don't know if I would want to be 140 again - that seems too thin.

Hi Jeannie -

I'm using Dr. Bagnato too! He was really great and answered all of my questions and my husbands questions too.

Following Sugar Busters has already made me feel better, so I'll probably continue with it after the liquids only phase. BTW....was your week of Clear Liquids only to bad?

While I paid attention to the BMS, I don't give to much creedance to the obese, severely obese and morbidly obese. While in my 20's at 5'4" I weighed 140 within a year of having a baby and the doctor (my first visit with her) said I was morbidly obese. That really messed up my head. OMG I don't know if I would want to be 140 again - that seems too thin.

Your doctor just told you a big fat lie - for a person 5'4 145 is a 25 bmi - tell that doc to jump in a lake - it's those kind of people who make people have eating disorders - I'm 5'4 too so I know what the charts say - at your age I weighted around 120 which is the average depending on your build. But heck be happy with 140 - you would have a normal bmi....

I am close to getting my surgery. My doc's office gave me a prescription for blood work the other day for me to take to the lab. For the first time I saw my diagnosis written out....MORBID OBESITY.

After all the stares and whispers (which were loud enough for me to hear), I'm not sure why but I never put me and that diagnosis together. Sure, I saw my reflection in the mirror. I guess I've been in a bit of denial.

Oh well, I can't change the past. I'm going to work hard for a great future though.

Good luck to all of you!

When I started this journey, I thought MO people where like 500 lbs or greater. Little did I realize that at 5’ even, 235 lbs, my BMI was 45. Now that I am down 45 lbs, I am still at 34. I have to get to the 150’s before I am considered just overweight. 28 more lbs to go.

But it wasn’t my BMI that got me really going on getting the band. It was the day my doctors office called to let me know that I was diabetic and had to go on meds. I curled up in bed and cried thinking “how could you do this to yourself?” I was a pathetic mess. I already had problems with my kidneys and knew then and there that something had to be done.

Hi Jeannie -

I'm using Dr. Bagnato too! He was really great and answered all of my questions and my husbands questions too.

Following Sugar Busters has already made me feel better, so I'll probably continue with it after the liquids only phase. BTW....was your week of Clear Liquids only to bad?

Kat

The week of liquids was not bad at all. It passes really fast and it is all in an effort to get to your end goal so it is all good. Dr B is great. He did a wonderful job and my scars are nearly gone already. The ladies in his office and the office where you will get your fills are wonderful. I could not be happier. Keep in touch and let me know how things are going for you. Take care and stick to the Sugar Busters it makes recovery so much easier.

Tammru:

My surgeon won't do anybody over 50 bmi because he said that his hospital doesn't have the equipment necessary for people whose bmi's are over 50. He does recommend a "sister" hospital to those who are over 50 bmi. That hospital is in Boston, a major hospital compared to the little hospital in Norwood.

Good luck. I was bmi 51 when I first started dieting. I've lost 100 pounds and I'm still obese. Oh well, continuing the battle of the bulge.

Sue

When I went in for my initial appointment with my surgeon they weighed and measured me and I was thrilled to finally just be "Severely Obese" :( with a BMI of 39. I have been on a doctor prescribed diet since April and I worked hard to get rid of the lbs pushing me over into the MO category.

Today I went in for my pre-op and when they weighed me I was down 1lb since my initial appointment (10 days ago) and when the nurse handed me my little print out it said my BMI was 42. I was like WTF???????

She keyed in my height wrong. As soon as I noticed, I kind of snapped and said "you got this wrong-I'm 5'9" not 5'7" and my BMI is wrong on this printout!" I realized I came across bitchy but ya know...those are a crucial 3 points!:lol: