Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting Atkins induction Diet Anyone want to join me????

Hey Ya'll,

Been poking around this thread for a wk or so..DH (also banded) really wants to jump start into Atkins come this Monday. I don't have a problem preparing food for him etc, just not sure I can do this 100%. He's had great results doing Atkins in the past - I just have a few questions:

1 - Do you take any supplements

2 - Will you gain some of this weight back faster once going to a regular balanced meal

Appreciate any feedback,

Lu

Thanks Renewed! That is really weird about the pop tarts. I bought the strawberry milkshake kind for my husband and he didn't like them. I should have thrown them away immediately, I usually don't keep things like that in the house and from now on, I definitely won't.

I think my restriction is getting more and more relaxed, but it will be a while before I get a fill because I think I've lost too much. Anyway, I'm just going to focus on meeting my Valentine Goal and then worry about a fill.

Great job on the 2 pounds, Renewed!!!!

Welcome Luluc!! I don't take supplements, although I should. When I went on Atkins preband I gained when I went off. this is the first time I have been on it post band, so I really don't know. I have not really been doing it by the book, but if you do, then you go to the ongoing weight loss phase next, and eventually to the maintenance phase, so its not like you really go off of it, you just add foods and as long as you are still losing you are good. Hope that makes sense. Anyway, whether you do Atkins or not, welcome. I have found great support on theis thread!!

Amy

Pop Tarts sound goooood! :frown:

Don't be hard on yourself Georgia! Hey, you were on the go and chicken nuggets aren't that bad of a thing ... there are worse decisions you could have made!

Welcome luluc! I've sorta been eating Atkins-style since being banded ... it's only for the past 2 weeks or so that I've been doing this induction phase. I'm not fond of vegetables so most of the time my side dishes contain some sort of cheese. I always did good on Atkins pre-band but the weight would come back when I resumed eating "normally" (which meant going back to drinking regular soda, eating fast food & CHOCOLATE etc...) Well now with the band, I don't drink soda and don't do the fast food thing too much anymore and only allow myself chocolate on special occasions so I don't see the weight coming back, ever ... My band is sorta like my back up :frown:

Welcome Luluc, glad to have you!

I can't believe I'm posting this, but here's my menu for today. I am going to drink a low carb slim fast for dinner to make up for my screw up today.

B'fast- low carb slim fast

Lunch- chicken nuggets from wendy's and about 10 french fries (had to kinda guess on this one)

Dinner- low carb slim fast

Snack- 1/4 c. lightly salted dry roasted edamame

Calories- 943

Fat- 48g

Net carbs- 36g :frown:

Protein- 73g

Thanks everyone...I've just turned into "psycho lapbander", according to DH. I can't read enough, search for recps, workout, or be here on LBT anymore than I already am. I've taken this so serious that DH is starting to get annoyed w/my obsession each day of what to eat / what workout to do ... that I"ve sorta let things around our place "go". I figure for the first time ever, I'm taking care of me - and I resent the days I can't get my workout in or my husband wants to take me to diner. I know that sounds weird.., but I had already planned our dinner, going out might tempt me to a glass of wine:tongue:

I'm going to follow Atkins closely w/him. I'll be peeking in for your food choices, ... Much thanks!!

Ok, I was doing so good. Was is the key word there. Now that we have 5 children, my dh hired a babysitter and every Thursday is Date Night!! WOOHOO!! You know we talked about 1 day off a week. I think mine will be Thursday. We were hungry for fish. I ate 3 pieces. Not TOO bad. Then we went and saw Bucket List at the movies (very good movie). Get this, I ate a box of Butterfinger mini's. Yes, 29 grams of carbs!! I ate the whole thing. On to tommorow.....

Amy

Breakfast ~ Atkins Mocha shake

Lunch ~ 1 mild italian sausage & 2 slices provolone

Snack ~ 1 pkg Buddig thin turkey lunchmeat

Dinner ~ 5 beef lit'l smokies & 1 colby jack cheese stick

Totals ~

910 calories

68g fat

11 carbs (9 net carbs)

62g protein

Bloo, you're my hero! You are doing so good. I really need to start doing better. Losing and Renewed, I'm in, let's start strong tomorrow. I went to Wal-mart tonight, to pick up some more of those stuffed chicken breast, and what do I see..........Valentine chocolates EVERYWHERE! :thumbup::party: So I picked up the smallest box of Whitman's chocolates and ate all 7 pieces. I feel like such a freak today, I don't know what has gotten into me. I seriously need to get back on track.

Everyone needs to take a deep breath!! whew. Got on the scale this morning and only lost 1/2lb. I know it was the 4 hereshy kisses I had. Today I'm better. stayed on track with 19.3 net carbs, but the night is young:biggrin:. Great job losing and bloo. My experience with pop-tarts is you have to definately throw them away, out of the wrapper, into the garbage you keep outside. Otherwise you are tempted to do a mid-night rescue. chocolate is the devil, I'm convinced, so I keep it around for emergencies. Maybe when we slip up we have to punish ourselves with an extra 5 minutes on the bike or tred. I'm tired of being hard on myself for 4 hershey kisses. I've been hard on myself my whole life. Georgia--think about how many french fries and chik-nuggets you could mow down prior to surg?? 10 fries is nothing. We are all doing fine. This weekend may be hard due to super-bowl parties. Remember, Buffolo wings and the cheese off pizza is free (zero carbs), plus there are a ton of low carb beers out there and they aren't that bad.

Todays menu

b-Skipped:eek:

l-chik salad w/cheese and 1/2 avo (7.8g)

d-porkchop w/ lt breading, salad w/tomato & olive (11.5g)

s- like i said...the night is still young

Come girls, We can handle friday, Right??!

I lost 30 kgs over 1 year on Atkins many years ago.

Of course, I put it all back on (and then some) when I started eating normal food again :-( I just couldn't sustain that low carb lifestyle long term (a year was pretty good going I think). I also was moderator on a low carb forum for 6 months.

I have no problem with the idea of Atkins - I just found it didn't work long term for me. I also believe that there is no real magic to low carb and weight loss, except that you don't feel hungry, and therefore you eat less. Its taken me 46 years to come to terms with the reality that the only way to lose weight is to take in less calories than you burn..... 3600 calories = 1 pound for someone with average metabolism.

I do regret though that I lost about 30% of my hair during that year - and it was fine to begin with. It never grew back. I also found that I had developed some minor kidney problems - whether that was related to high Protein or not, nobody has ever been able to confirm or deny.

Has anybody else had the problem of Hair loss, and did you hair grow back?

I started losing my hair about 3 months after being banded. That was way before I started this Atkins challenge. I''ve actually noticed I'm losing less since I started this. I've definitely been getting more Protein since starting.

I'm not doing atkins induction or the atkins diet long term. I started this to kickstart my plateau and get over my sugar addiction, which for the most part, excluding last night, I have. I don't think this diet is for everyone, just as your way isn't for everyone. I think people should find what works best for them and stick to it.

I am doing Atkins induction to boost my weight loss, but mainly to kick my sugar/carb addiction. I plan to continue a "low carb lifestyle" and maybe even the other phases of atkins. This just makes sense for me and my band. We all know that with Lapband it is so important to get in Protein first, then veggies, then carbs. This closely resembles Atkins for me. I am still having a hard time with sugar cravings, so I may be here awhile :smile:

Luscious, are you banded?? Do you plan to get banded??? Welcome..