Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wanna talk about clothes????

I am getting a little preoccupied about clothes. I never seem to have any that fit me anymore. I am looking for good clothes deals. Can we talk about clothing ideas that are flattering for our deflated bodies? Can we share info on sales for online stores or national chains? What size are you wearing at what weight. How are certain brands of clothing sized? Ideas about tops that will cover bat wings in warm weather? Thanks for sharing!

For good deals try stores like TJ Maxx, Gordman's, and Marshall's. This probably sounds snotty, I don't mean it that way, but you couldn't pay me to wear clothes from a used clothing store. It just creeps me out, truly. But I have found many items at cheap prices at those places.

I don't think there's a universally flattering look for "deflated" but there are ways to flatter specific body shapes. Even deflated bodies have shapes. What's yours?

I'm about 230 and in 14/16 or 18/20 tops, and mostly 20 bottoms. This is because of my hips. I can go and pick up a 2x anywhere and it's loose on my upper body and loose on my legs, and pretty well fits my hips and thighs. I'm a hair under 5'11 so sometimes I will go with a 2X even if it's loose, because that will give me the extra length in the legs. Talls usually have a bit more room everywhere, so if you're on the cusp of a size, you may want to go tall and just wear heels to compensate for the extra pant length.

There are waaaaay too many clothing brands to give a breakout of how they're sized. In general I go by LB's sizing when I refer to the sizes I wear. They seem to run true to most places. I buy quite a few thigns at Target now, too, and they seem to run small, depending on the item. I have several of their misses 2x, but also have some women's 26/28 that is snug and 26/28s hang on me like tents everywhere else.

I think it depends on how you want to look, in so far as style. But the best thing for "deflated" is a really good shaping undergarment. They make all the difference in how clothes fit and how you look in them. Always keep in mind your body shape. If you dont know Igig.com has a really good group of shapes to figure out from. Im a figure 8.

For batwings, I would go with 3/4 length sleeves. I would NEVER suggest any kind of shrug, I think they look crazy like youre trying to hide something. I know you are trying to hide something but you never want to look like you are. It makes people curious, like a bad lie.

Im 292 and I am wearing a 22/24 bottom and 18/20 top (I also go by LB sizes). I really look at the fit of my clothes as opposed to the size. I always go with fitted never loose, unless that is the way the garment is supposed to fit (even then only blouses).

Length is a HUGE problem right now, if a store doesnt go Tall enough (ie 35-36 inseam) Im screwed but once I get down to a size 16 I can shop at JCrew and Gap Talls.

At 213 I am a size 16 on bottom and a 14/16 on top. I always had an hourglass figure until I turned 40 and then my belly got big!! On my way down in pounds my hips and thighs lost first-I think because I am walking a lot. Now my waist is catching up. I feel like I have no idea what to wear. I haven't been a 14 since 1983! And then only for a few fleeting moments before I gained 100 pounds back! I am thinking about going to Jcpenney and Old Navy tomorrow as they are having clothing clearance sales. Hope I can get something!

I weigh 182 and I'm still a 16W, but that's just because of my shape (I'm pretty hour-glass shaped, but I've got a big belly). In fact, I just recently got to that size, so I actually need to go shopping for pants, since I've only got one pair of 16Ws. I don't like close-fitting clothing. I like to have a little bit of room to move in them, but still have a nice tailored look (not too baggy, not too tight). I've gotten most of my clothes on sale at JCPenney's.

Which part is your biggest problem? Bottoms or tops?

Since you are going to Old Navy, one of the best things they have ever done was to start making different rises. The jeans that look best on everyone are the dark denim classic rise "Sweetheart" and the dark denim mid rise "Sweetheart".

Pair those with a wrap-top (NewportNews has a nice 3/4 length tee version) in your favorite color and that makes a KILLER casual look.

*The wrap camouflages the belly and accentuates the bust and curvy waist. The mid/classic rise holds in the belly.

I agree with having a tailored look. Too tight is just as bad as too loose.

If you cant tell, Im a serious clothes-whore. One of my fav hobbies is styling people. It came from living vicariously through skinny friends and relatives and being a hopeless perfectionist.

I did go out shopping for a little while today. I went to JCP and got a beautiful 3 piece Sag Harbor suit for $18. I also bought a short sleeve purple sweater and a pair of lounge pants which will double as exercise pants. I looked at winter coats but there were tons and I think they will go down to 90% off-We'll see.

Then I went over to Old Navy. That store makes me feel old and out of it!

I got a down type jacket for next winter for $10. I also got a pair of the size 16 Sweetheart styled jeans as recommended but don't know how much I like them. They seem big at the waist and tight around my calves. I also bought an off white pair of jeans, in a mid rise and oh my-I will not be wearing these for a while if at all-I could only get them 3/4 of the way up and they have a zipper no longer than 4 inches long. I bought a pair of fleece pants in black. I spent about 65 at both stores. I just feel really uneasy about wearing such small clothes. They fit (well most of them but I haven't worn a 16 (except for a fleeting moment on a "successful diet") since maybe 6th grade and that was in 1976.

So anyway more head work for me. Thanks for listening and interested to hear other ideas that people have been successful with.

Oh - the old navy suggestion sounds fabulous; I'm ready to go shopping lol

I currently buy a lot of items at Steve & Barrys. Nothing in the store is over $20 and usually you can find it on sale. I buy the Sarah Jessica Parker jeans (Bitten) which I love for $15. As often as we are changing sizes I can afford this. Yes, I do want to get more expensive jeans but can't justify the cost when I've only been wearing a size for 1-2 months.

Happy shopping!

wombat

I'm still shopping in my many boxes of clothes I've worn briefly since I got down to 249 in 2005. I've got to get significantly below that before I HAVE TO buy new clothes.

But LOOK OUT when I do!!

LOL

Not really -- I actually intend to do quite a lot of sewing and starting to work on clothes to sell -- including personal items that I will sell off on eBay as they become too large.

Try K-Mart, the clothes are cheaper, but, I don't want to spend too much while I loose. I am 215 pounds and can wear a 1X or XL. Target has bathing suits for 34.99. I needed a new one for Water aerobics. Lane Bryant is too big for me. I'm 5' 2" tall.

Good luck. Happy shopping.

Oh - the old navy suggestion sounds fabulous; I'm ready to go shopping lol

I currently buy a lot of items at Steve & Barrys. Nothing in the store is over $20 and usually you can find it on sale. I buy the Sarah Jessica Parker jeans (Bitten) which I love for $15. As often as we are changing sizes I can afford this. Yes, I do want to get more expensive jeans but can't justify the cost when I've only been wearing a size for 1-2 months.

Happy shopping!

wombat

How do these jeans fit? I looked at them but I was overwhelmed by the number of choices of style. Suggestions for an hourglass figure?

As for the batwings....If you need a size 14....look for a 14W. One of the biggest differences will be sleeve length. Anything in Womens sizes will have about 2 inches more in sleeve length. At least that is what they explained to my Mom, who has horrible issues with massive upper arms....while being of normal size most everywhere else, her legs and upper arms are enormous in comparison. When she wears clothing that covers it, you would never guess she weighs what she does.

We do buy her all Womens clothes, rather than misses though for that reason.

I am scared spitless, I am going to have (or already have) her arms. Escaped the leg issues (TY Dad for my chicken legs), but the arms....ooooooh they are bad!

Kat

trystelle - I just love the jeans. They sit just below the belly button so they aren't tooo low-waisted. I am a bit more of a tummy person so I tend to still have a bit of a baggy bottom. They run long - I buy the short and still have to wear heals or boots - anything w/ lift! My favorite type is the "boyfriend" version since it's a little relaxed at the waist.

I think the first time I was there I tried on 6-8 different pairs. I let DH decide which one's he liked the best because I am my own worst enemy.

I spent lots of time trying on clothes, especially when the scale isn't moving. I've been riding a recumbent bike since before surgery 2.5 years ago, and it has helped me lose in proportion. So I am always surprised at what I actually can wear. I shop at Ross, Marshalls, TJMaxx and any place with sales so that I can have clothes but don't spend a lot of money on transitional clothes. I am in a 14-16 and it is amazingly nice.