Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm scared!!! Is lapband weight loss too slow?

I just joined forum today and the few threads I have read, weight loss seems very slow. I am afraid that losing that slow will make me lose motivation. I can't seem to comprehend that some people have only lost 2 lbs - 20 lbs in a year! Doesn't seem worth paying $20,000?

Has anyone found a place that is cheaper but SAFE?

Two pounds in a year is abnormal and would point to either the surgeon or the patient not doing their job.

20 lbs in a year, for someone with 40 lbs to lose, is not bad. 20 lbs ina year for someone with 300 lbs to lose shouldn't happen, because consultations with the surgeon should have resumed at that point.

Many people invest in the surgery not just for the loss, but for the ability to maintain it. For me, the ability to maintain was priceless, as I had 8 years of either losing or gaining, actively. Now, even though I don't lose like I used to, I've never gained fat back. Priceless.

I think several people have had good experiences with the MX doctors who seem to charge around $8k. There are stateside surgeons around $12k. etc.

I just joined forum today and the few threads I have read, weight loss seems very slow. I am afraid that losing that slow will make me lose motivation. I can't seem to comprehend that some people have only lost 2 lbs - 20 lbs in a year! Doesn't seem worth paying $20,000?

Dr Kirshenbaum in Denver is $9950. He has a lot of out of state patients. He did my surgery about a week ago. He has a couple threads in on this site.

It's a tool. YOU have to provide the work and motivation. I'm 8 months post, and down almost 90lbs from the consult weight. I watch what I eat, and work out with a trainer 3 times a week. Your results may vary.

Banders will generally lose weight slower than gastric by pass patients and as noted in previous post above, how fast one loses, depends on many factors: The persons age, level of activity,starting weight, commitment to band "rules" etc.

Banders can sometimes eat too much until their band is properly adjusted so that they feel restricted. The length of the adjustment process can differ from patient to patient and how often the Dr thinks it's wise to fill/adjust the band.

Most Dr.s will tell you average weight loss will be one to two pounds a week.

And most patients will tell you it's as much about NEVER gaining the weight back as it is about losing it.

I have lost 62 lbs in 6 month...

How fast you lose depends on what you put in your mouth and the amount of exercise that you do - along with your motabolisam (sp)

This is no diff than any other program out there it all depends on the work you do - the only function of the band is to help you feel full on a lot less food.< /strong>

There are tons of people who go to mexico and pay less than $20k

Keep researching the site and you will find your answers -

I went to Mexico and was banded on Nov 26 07 By Dr.Daniel Huacus (pronounced Wah Couz)The entire thing cost me $7,000.00 He has a brand new clinic and everyone there is very professional. The hospital was very clean and sterile, and all the nurses were wonderful and took their time when then worked with you. I've never had this kind of good care in an American Hospital. Several doctors spoke with me before my surgery, explaining details and answering any questions that I had. I never felt they were trying to hurry. The doctor and the nurses came to my room to check on me all throughout the day and night. One night I was really feeling bad and started to cough which scared me. The nurse was at my side in a minute and I did not even call her. She heard me, and came right in to help. Dr. Huacuz Is not only very experienced -he is the most caring doctor I have ever met. He is always accessible if ever you needed him. If your worried about care when you return to the US. Dr. Huacuz can provide a list of Doctors that will help you. Also, you can use fill centers USA. I am just at the beginning of my journey so I cannot offer any help there but for the procedure itself, I wanted to give you my experience.

you really want to lose the weight slower vs. losing it so fast...and that's because losing it slowly allows your skin time to adjust, so that you don't get all that sag like gastric patients get. Less work to have done when we finally get to where we want to be.:)

I went to Dr Ortiz in Tijuana, whom I would recommend. Here is his website:

Lap Band Surgery - Obesity Control Center

I started my preop diet in July and I'm down 53 lb since then. Surgery was 10/10/07 and I've lost 34 lb since that date. Some people are faster; some are slower. It depends, as said before, on your body and your actions.

PM me if you have questions about Dr Ortiz, and I'll be happy to share the experience.

Jack, "inspirational" is far too powerless a word to explain the impact of your posts. Thank you for being here.

Jack. Thank you.

Your post brought tears to my eyes. I'm not yet banded, but well on the way. I'm determined to do this because I feel it is the best option for me in my life-long struggle of being overweight. I too want to gain control of my life and my hunger. I'm 46 years old and have dieted since I was 15. Like most of us here on this site who have struggled, I believe we know more about the losing weight than most doctors -- bariatrics excluded. I've had the ah hah moments and lost 30, 45, 50 lbs... kept the weight off for a while and then poof...the weight was back. Well, anyway, my point is that you so articulately captured exactly what this procedure means to me. So... again I say, thank you, Jack.

1-3 lbs a week AVERAGE is normal provided you WORK YOUR PLAN.. as for motivation....... the clothes that get to big, the face that becomes evident, the way you FEEEEEEEEL is motivation in its purest form.

75 lbs down since APRIL 2007, and I'm not a PERFECT bandster... I'm Tracy....... and I LOVE MY BAND

Don't Worry About The Amount Of Time It Takes To Lose The Weight...you Will Just Be Happy To See It Come Off...i Was Banded In 4/07 And I Have Lost 69 Lbs...i Couldn't Be Happier...and I Feel Great...

I look at it this way...I didn't wake up one more a fat person...it took time for me to gain all of that weight that I had on me. Therefore...I don't expect to lose it overnight either. I have lost 80 pounds (never thought I would get to say that) and I feel absolutely wonderful. My motivation....the way that I feel, the way that I look, the comments that I get from people...it all keeps me going. I now love the scales...I used to hate them...I now love to shop...I used to hate that too because NOTHING would fit me right...I used to hate going out to parties, etc., now I really look forward to them because I want to hear and see peoples reaction to me when they see me. My self esteem has sky rocketed over the past several months and I owe it all to my band and my ability to work with the band. It's a life changing experience and you have to put forth the effort to make it work. Good luck!!!

Like everyone else said, you will get ot of it wheat you put into it. It is not an easy fix. The weight will not come off effortlessly. You have to lose it. The band will help keep it off. Bypasses can fail too if you are not working it. There is a girl at my hospital who had a bypass the same day as my band and I have lost more weight than her.