Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Waiting in Florida

Hi I'm Melissa and I live in Jacksonville, Florida. I have been told all of my life, that I was overweight. I look at pictures of me when I was younger, and boy do I wish to be that size again. I have finally topped the scale at 335 pounds at about 5 feet 6 inches tall. I switched insurance at the beginning of 2008, so that the band would be covered. I have my first consult on January 23rd; so my journey is beginning. I predict I will have my surgery in May, once I have done my three months of nutritionalist, etc. I have also determined, I will not be informing any of my family members of my surgery. All of my family lives in NC, so it won't be too hard to conceal it. I want to see the look on there face when I go home for Thanksgiving and have hopefully lost some weight. I'm tired of being obese. I saw a picture of me sitting in a chair at Christmas and burst out into tears; I had no idea that is what other people see when they look at me. I don't see it in the mirror, as I do not look in the mirror anymore, but now, I need to project a better image. I'm ready to make that change.

Hi, my name is Midge and from Ohio and I feel the same way I just had paperwork turned in a few days ago not sure how long it will take. If you need someone to talk to I am here.

I totally know what you are talking about. I dont have any pics of me from the past 5 years or so because I hate what I see. Apparently not enough to quit eating! Lol. I am sooooo anxious for this to happen! Good luck, I hope everything goes quickly for you. The waiting sucks!

Hi Midge. Thank you for your reply and yes let's be chat buddies. We are going to need the support to get through these next few months before the surgery.

Hi Elyssa. Pictures these days are no fun. I have avoided them for many years now, but took a few during the holiday's. I'm ready for the procedure now, so that the weight can start coming off, and picture taking will be more enjoyable.

Yeah. I am looking forward to being ok with pictures. Also looking forward to trying on clothes and not being disappointed when I see what they look like on me! Do you know when your surgery is yet?

Hi All, hi Melissa,

I too am going to be getting the lapband. I have my first consult on January 24, and CAN'T wait. Melissa, I feel the same way. I am at my heaviest ever and am tired of the looks and the way I feel. I saw a picture of me standing next to my husband at Christmas time, and removed it from the pictures before sending them out to family and friends. I looked so much bigger than I see my self. I am so looking forward to being healthy and being able to keep up with my 4 children. Good luck to all of us as we start our new lives.

Hi Elyssa. My surgery has not yet been scheduled, but I think it will be sometime in May, since I have the three month "waiting" period for my insurance. We are going to make it through.

Hi hheishman. We will make it through this. Pictures do tell a picture, one that I don't want to hear or see anymore. It appears our consults are one apart. I'm looking forward to my first appointment on the 23rd. They say it should take about 2 hours the first time. I'm just ready to lose some weight, without the fear of gaining it back.

Mee too. Very excited, but also terrified of surgery. I think I would be less nervous if I didn't have my 4 kids, but the thought of something terrible happening, well, I just can't get it out of my head. Although, haven't read anything but positives on this site. Would love to hear as things progress for you. Where are you having it done?

Elyssa, going in for pre-op on the 5th, sounds really exciting. Keep me posted on your surgery date and progress

H. Heishman, I'm excited as well, and too I have only heard the positive about this procedure. I know you will do well and your kids are going to love you for it. I will have my items done here in Jacksonville at Memorial Hospital I believe. We'll all be support for one another. I'm just ready to get the surgery done

Good luck and keep us posted. It will be interesting since our first consult is only a day a part to see how our journey goes. I wish you luck and much success.

I am still waiting on approval from my insurance company (united) I called them last Wednesday and was told that it was still pending and to call back in 2 days and so on Friday I called back and was told by the rep that she could not find the paperwork and was told to callback again in a few days. That is so frustrating (the waiting) I hope I get approval soon, I already went thru the seminar and had my first consult and I am just waiting on insurance