Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey Reif78, I'm from Slippery Rock!! Do they have any support groups out of Butler Memorial?

Would have preferred to go there, but UMPC only had approved surgeons in Greenville and downtown Pittsburgh.

It IS a small world!:(

IF YOU CALL THE PATIENT EDUCATION COORDINATOR AT BUTLER HOSPITAL THEY WILL GIVE YOU THE PLACE AND TIME OF THE WEEKLY SUPPORT GROUP MEETINGS IN BUTLER. I CANT FIND MY PAPER IM SORRY. BUT I KNOW THEY MEET EVRY WEDNESDAY AY 7 PM. PLUS THEY ALSO HAVE AN EXERCISE CLASS TOO !! GOOD LUCK NEED TO KNOW ANYTHING ELSE JUST EMAIL ME AT REIF78@AOL.COM

Does anyone from the Pittsburgh area have any information about getting fills done? I am having my surgery with Dr. K in Denver and was wondering if anyone had their fills done locally.

My surgeon with the Bariatric Center in Greenville does my fills--unsure whether he does them generally or just for his patients...sorry...:biggrin:

Hi you guys! I'm from about an hour and 15 minutes north of Pittsburgh!! Had my surgery with Dr. Barkan at UPMC in Greenville Pa--what a professional set of people UPMC has!

I too had the six month's visits with the nutritionist as a prerequisite to the approval of UPMC Insurance--but hey, it gave me all the more time to study what my future life would be like!

It's great that you all seem to be attending like seminars! (Mine was at UPMC in Greenville..)

6 months with a nutritionist to have upmc approve the surgery? i am taking the 6 month course at upmc, do i need to be seeing a nutritionist monthly to have this approved? I have upmc health insurance.

When I went to the initial seminar in the Greenville UPMC, the Bariatric Center told me UPMC required a six-month tracking of attempting to diet--and they said either I could have my primary care physician fill in the form monthly and send it in, or I could just go to their nutritionist in Greenville.

I just felt 'safer' having the nutritionist do the tracking since she worked for UPMC (I love my primary care physician, but twice I made an appointment and asked for a letter of recommendation for the surgery and then even emailed a sample letter to them--I finally had to call their office manager, emailed her the same letter, and she had it at my Bariatric Center within 15 minutes!! I think I made a good choice, going through the nutritionist).

All this nutritionist did (15 minutes each visit) was require me to fill in a food log, and each month she would say "Okay, for next month, let's cut down by 100 calories a day". She knew nothing about supplements (protein) because "she didn't have that in college" and so I just went through the motions to get that part done with!!

I'd say, check with your Bariatric Center--maybe the 'six month course' is the same as visiting the nutritionist (who just handed me a book on diabetics).

Hey, the very best to you in your journey--I found UPMC to be nothing but professional all the way around! :smile:

Thanks for responding. I've been nervous that UPMC will reject me. If they do, I will be really upset that I attended the classes at McGee. The McGee classes are expensive.

I was very nervous too about whether they would pay. My BMI was just borderline and other than acid reflux, I didn't have any real medical issues. I work out three to four times a week and am relatively healthy--plus I had been bulimic for four years in the late 80's and the psychiatrist said she was sorry but she had to "write that down".

So I was just positive I was going to be turned down--sometimes I think they put hoops out there just to make sure we are serious about wanting/needing this.

If we persevere, we will prevail!! My very best to you...:smile:

Thank you for sharing. I am attendind the McGee classes and am not having a great experience in the class. Most of the people are set on the Gastric Bypass. I am not even close to being as heavy as some of the people and I do work out often. I think theband is best for me and my body. I made the decision to pursue the band and have encountered a large amount of negativity from the other group members. Many think banding is a waste of time. If I went through all of the classes and was turned down by upmc, I am sure I would give up. It means a lot to me that you are willing to share your experience with the insurance company.

Welcome to LBT(lapband talk)....you are doing great...don't worry about it being kinda slow at the beginning...but....are you exercising? Exercising, will make a huge difference....if you walk one mile a day..just one mile...you burn calories, speed up your metabolism, and build endurance...it is a huge factor in your weight loss....get you some Leslie Sansone's ...walk away the pounds... dvd's...they are great...anyone of any size can do these...they have helped me so much....

I do exercise, a lot and i am fat. I spoke with the people at McGee. They said is hould only have to see the nutitionist once before surgery. The classes should allow upmc to give me the green light.

I'm thinking about the lap band just haven't started anything yet.

From what my insurance tells me I have to have a Dr. to refer me for it.

I do not have a Dr. who would refer me.

Any Ideas?

Thank u for your help:smile:

You need to see ( or get) your primary care physician to refer you to a surgeon. I guess this is what your ins requires. Mine did not require that.

I am in month 4 of the mcgee program. My health insurance is UPMC. I am told that since I am in the UPMC program my approval should be easy. I'd rather pay for the program and not be turned down after 6 months. My uncle had gastric bypass. The first time he did 6 months of dr superived dieting he was turned down by his health insurnce because his dr had not weighed him each month- the nurse at the office had.... I think the McGee program is worth it. They have helped me quite a bit with questions and they have a payment program.