Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fell off the wagon after 9 days.

Here's the situation. :smile:

Banded on 01/03/2008. My doctor's post op diet consists of 1 week of liquids, 2nd week mushy/pureed and liquids, starting 3rd week begin incorporating solids. Per my doctors instruction I did 1 week of liquids and stuck to it fine.

Day 8 was the first day of mushies.... great. Day 9--hunger finally kicked in. Real hunger.

So... I fell of the wagon so to speak. I ate stuff not on the mush list. I have a theory that my band does not know what texture the food was before it got to my stomach--and I took extra care to chew chew chew.

Here's what I'm asking.

People who have been in this same situation-ate real food just a week or so after surgery-- have you/did you have any complications that were associated with that action? Band slippage, etc?

I'm not looking for lectures, or the reason's why I should not have eaten. I am strictly looking for people to tell me what their own experience was if they did the same thing as me.

Liquids/mushies? me? are you kidding!

I ate mushies day 2 and 3 and by weeks end was eating solids.

You will find out really quick what you can't tolerate so take it really easy. 1/2 bite, then another a minute or so later. If you feel weird...don't eat anymore.

I didn't do any damage...but it could happen.

I don't have an answer for you, but I just wanted to send you some (((hugs))). It is an amazingly difficult process in the beginning, more than I ever expected. I had this assumption that after the surgery I would feel restriction...well that lasted for about a week.

Good luck and I hope you get some good answers.

I feel bad for those struggling so soon after surgery. I was "lucky" i guess, in that I did feel some restriction or lack of appetite for a few weeks. Hunger is now back, so I understand.

I figure I've been an expert at dieting all these years, so while I don't have good restriction, I just tell myself I'm on a diet and I count my calories etc. The whole world is on a diet in January anyway, right?

I have also been afraid to "test" my band on many foods, so that has helped keep me in check.

Hang in there, it has to get better!

I've fallen off the wagon on every diet I've ever been on. Don't give yourself a hard time. Tomorrow, start fresh. None of us are here for being perfect.

I'm curious, what did you eat? My aftercare diet is very similar to yours and I started mushies on Friday. I may be cheating as well, but not sure what qualifies as a mushy sometimes. It's like you said, if you chew it well enough and it's not on the DO NOT EAT YET list, then is it OK?

I was surprised that some of the foods on the sample menu they gave me were considered mushy. I have eaten, rotiserie chicken salad, stewed chicken, tilapia, spaghetti (not on the sample menu, but its whole wheat and I thought it would be OK), scrambled egg, even a little piece of toast (couldn't help myself), baked potato, mashed potato, green Beans, apples (no skin), and oatmal. Oh and one I'm pretty sure I shouldn't have, a small piece of cornbread. Heaven. That's pretty much everything that has entered my mouth since Friday.

Ummmmm, me like mushies! :-)

my dr's sescription of mushies is anything that you can easily mash up with a fork.....so that when you chew it you know it will be easily chewed enough to be mush....i have had really moist chicken, and meatloaf, and of course mash taters, soft cooked carrots, refried Beans, hummus and a couple bites of a saucy Pasta (didnt hurt goin down, just didnt feel right?...so i didnt eat more) you get the idea....so far i am doing okay

good luck....:smile:

OK Here it goes. I was banded on 12/31/07 along with my best friend. We are on this journey together. After 3-4 days I was able to eat some mac & cheese from the kids etc. I asked her what her experience was and she said she can eat as well. In order to solve the mystery why we BOTH had no restriction, we called the Dr. What we found out is that they are using a new band now that is much larger than the band that was used in the past (like my mom and other friend has). The old band was much smaller and therefore you had restriction RIGHT AWAY. With the new band you have hardly any restriction until your first fill. The reason they do this is because with the smaller band some people had a lot of swelling and the band slipped. I was also concerned that I damaged the band because I have been eating everything and anything but I had my esophogram a few days ago and the Dr said - yes there is teh band and you are correct it is wide open. I don't know if this is the case with everyone but this is my story.

HOWEVER I know a lot of people will say that the band is just a tool and that you need to stop eating BUT if I was able to do that I would not have gone through all this PAINFUL surgery. I need my tool to be in working order in order for me to succeed.

THANKS for listening!!!!

OK Here it goes. I was banded on 12/31/07 along with my best friend. We are on this journey together. After 3-4 days I was able to eat some mac & cheese from the kids etc. I asked her what her experience was and she said she can eat as well. In order to solve the mystery why we BOTH had no restriction, we called the Dr. What we found out is that they are using a new band now that is much larger than the band that was used in the past (like my mom and other friend has). The old band was much smaller and therefore you had restriction RIGHT AWAY. With the new band you have hardly any restriction until your first fill. The reason they do this is because with the smaller band some people had a lot of swelling and the band slipped. I was also concerned that I damaged the band because I have been eating everything and anything but I had my esophogram a few days ago and the Dr said - yes there is teh band and you are correct it is wide open. I don't know if this is the case with everyone but this is my story.

HOWEVER I know a lot of people will say that the band is just a tool and that you need to stop eating BUT if I was able to do that I would not have gone through all this PAINFUL surgery. I need my tool to be in working order in order for me to succeed.

THANKS for listening!!!!

Hi there,

Hmmm...I wonder if that is the same band my surgeon used. One of his patients (on a separate email list) stated he was using a newer band. I'll have to ask him. I'm still toughing it out on liquids. I made pizza for lunch for my daughters and didn't eat any. Now i'm off to eat more butternut squash Soup... nummy! LOL :lol:

Also wanted to add that it is very cool you and your BFF are doing this together! And I hear ya on having the surgery so we wouldn't feel hungry again. I hate this whole dieting part. Not fun at all.:mad: