Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

question about the steri strips....

how long did yours stay on? did they fall off on thier own or did your dr have to remove them?

i am 7 days post-op and the ones in my belly button already fell off, but they didnt seem to be attatched to well either, but the ones on my port incision...wowsers...i dont see those suckers falling off on thier own EVER lol

Hi Cherrie,

They should fall off on their own. I'm a nurse and can't see myself pulling them off in case I open up the wound before the strips are ready to come off. I'd call my Dr's rooms and ask. They should be coming off about now.

Jen

Mine lasted about a week and a half and then they started coming off. 2 stayed so I soaked them a little and they came off too.

I think mine stayed on about 2 weeks. Don't mess with the ones by your port area, just let them come off when they do.

My steri strips were stayed on 11 days. Day 11 I woke up with a terrible rash around my incision. I removed the steri strips immediately. The area the steri strips were attached has formed a large draining blister. It's also caused a rash all over my abdomen. Not fun. Went to the dr today and got a steroid shot. Woohoo!!!! They said it was a reaction to the adhesive. I wouldn't wish that on anyone!!!! Should be good to go in a couple of days.

being a surgical tech. and applying them to patients (in my experience), you ALWAYS let them fall off themselves, believe it or not they have a brain and they know excatly when to fall off.

but unfortunaly some people find that there allegic to them, when its to late

I'm allergic to surgical tape, but not so much the steri strips. I always ask for paper surgical tape. the rash IS awful. My last one FINALLY fell off about 2 and a half weeks later. I didn't pull them. I just kept trimming the loose edges. My problem was with spitting sutures. I had several and they were a pain in the ass.

Only a few of my strips fell off on their own after about 7 days. The others were ugly looking with bandaid marks on my stomach. I pulled the rest of them off (carefully) on my own after day 8 or so.

My doc said to leave them alone and they would eventually come off on their own, and that would be best. 4 of mine over my small incisions all fell off on their own around days 7 & 8. The 3 strips that covered my port incision acted like they would never come off! Doc said to go ahead and remove them to avoid harboring bacteria. That was on day 18 post-op! I was like you...I didn't think those suckers were ever going to come off, but my skin was getting irritated and it was best to remove them myself at that point.

I had surgery on the 7th and the last of my steri-strips fell off yesterday. For the past week, I've found the random strip around the house. They come off and I have no idea! So just leave them be. They'll fall off eventually.

ch4251, leave them on.

My Doc. told me I was healing well and could remove the strips after 10 days if they did not fall off on there own. well at the end of 12 days they all fell off on there own except the strip over the port, quess want I removed it and I ended up removing a little bit of scab on one end and the scar is wider at the end.