Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question: Do you crave healthy stuff now that you are banded?

I'm 10 days post-op and have some serious health food cravings. I've never been a sweet or junk food eater anyway, but I was a carb & fat addict. Anyway, I want veggies. Crunchy, raw veggies with hummus (sp?). I'm also craving fish, chicken, corned beef as far as meats go (all lean and broiled or grilled of course). I really would love some broiled seafood, a fruit salad or a huge chicken Caesar salad.

Is there something behind this? I'm still on full liquids and I'm really doing okay with it. I just get cravings, but I'm really surprised at how healthy my cravings are! That's not like me. Usually I'd drool over burgers and fries, cheese-covered enchiladas and deep-fried chicken gizzards...but I'm shocked at what's happening.

Is this something that is typical with the band? Do some folks totally lose their desire for the bad stuff once they are banded? I hope so...this will make my journey so successful if I can stick with eating what I'm craving now. :welldoneclap:

Yes, I crave healthier foods. But I'd say in my case, it's more because I'm forcing myself to eat those more often than the "bad" foods. I can't believe I was standing at the frozen veggie case last night going, "Mmmm." LOL And all the veggies I put on my Subway wrap...wow. In the past, they got tossed off my sandwich halfway through. This time, though, they were absolutely delicious.

The biggest weird change for me in regards to cravings is hot stuff. I had it so bad there for awhile that I would get home from work and eat a tablespoon of hot sauce. Now lately I crave jalapeños and anything hot/spicy I can get my hands on!

Yes, I hated salads now I crave it.

I've always loved big salads with tons of stuff, so I was not surprised at my first post-op meeting with my nutritionist when I said, "My God, when can I have a salad?" I'm not sure if it was the food I wanted or just the crunch/chewing.

Also, I did notice my carb-addict self was not as crazed as before. I think all the Protein changes what your body wants. Enjoy the change!!!

I have completely been craving healthy foods....veggies, grilled chicken, fish, turkey slices, salads. Then again, I am only 12 days post-op, and am still eating mushies, so it could just be real food I am craving. The oddest thing to me is that I have always been a total carb addict. I could go days without eating any Protein, just Cereal, pastas, Bagels, rice, etc. Obviously, not healthy, and not good for weight. Now, none of those foods sound terribly appealing to me. It seems like not being able to eat carbs for a month (pre-op diet included) may have finally broke be of my carb addiction.

Steph, How do you eat really hot stuff :lol: when you can't drink with your meal??? I love all the spicy food, but I can't imagine it without something icy and cold. I'm not banded yet, so I just want to know how to do it when the time comes...

I mainly crave orange juice, chocolate chip Cookies, and bacon.

Funny. Pre-op, I could look at a plate of bacon and a plate of the Cookies and walked right by them.

I have not craved any bad food since my Band. I find it is easy to make the healthy choices, it is what I look forward too because it is what keeps me between meals.

I know eating my Protein first and keeping my meals healthy has helped me to not be hungry between meals. I stay away from bread it gets stuck, I have trouble with some crackers, so I am staying away from them.

I just don't want junk anymore at all, I have had a bite of cake or cookie or whatever a few times since surgery but it has been very limited.

I do not crave sugar since it is so limited in my diet, I have no desire for it.

I find it is like when I gave up Salt over 25 years ago. I hate things that are super salty now....except for of course chips....they were my downfall before surgery.

Honestly, not yet. I am 7 weeks out and would kill for a diet dr. pepper!!! I am hoping the further I get into my journey, I will start to crave the healthy stuff!

I really really wish I could answer YES to this question but I can't.

I even had a dream about eating at Burger King just the other night. Pathetic - lol!!

I've always eaten a pretty balanced diet just too much food. Now I eat an even more balanced diet (no butter or salt, more green veggies, leaner meats, etc) just a lot less food. I still want fast food and day dream about carbs and sugary treats though - lol.

WOW....I am so happy that people are so honest on here. I am craving a big bowl of pasta.....but I know I cant have it so I drink a protien shake and deal with it. Now I feel like there is not an option to "cheat" I have to stick to it.....

For atleast a week out of every month I crave chocolate, icecream, and Welch's fruit Snacks. I was never one to eat sweets, but I think knowing I shouldn't have them makes me want them (around that time of the month). I do give in to the fruit snacks and sometimes a small piece of chocolate. I know that if I don't, I will go off the deep end. I like the fact the band allows us to make our own decisions without any terrible repricusions (sweats, nausea, etc.). If I give in, I just do an extra 20-40 situps. In my mind I've burned the extra calories off! That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

Me too, :rolleyes2: I do eat healthily but I still crave and give in :tt1: to my cravings. But a little of what you fancy does you good.:lol:

Steph, How do you eat really hot stuff :lol: when you can't drink with your meal??? I love all the spicy food, but I can't imagine it without something icy and cold. I'm not banded yet, so I just want to know how to do it when the time comes...

LOL - I don't know. It tastes good to me. I don't feel like I need to cool my mouth down. For some reason my mouth can tolerate the hot stuff better than before. The hotter, the better. We went to Chili's last night and I got a 1-oz cup on the side of buffalo sauce. OMG, I was dipping my grilled chicken in it and it was SO good. I was full and couldn't eat any more, so I actually ended up downing some of the sauce alone. Haha. The urge is strong.