Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

help me narrow down mexico surgeon choice

Wasa, you are awsome.

I have learned so much from your posts thank you.

I too had a band placed, but had to have it removed. I can only say I have learned alot, I was very trusting and nieve. Since the band removal surgery I have developed pain when I sit. It is very debilitating and difficult to diagnose. I have also realized that I need to do something about my obeysity again. Thank you for sharing the information. I really liked my surgeon in tj I mean I thought they were cool and stuff but in the end I may have been ignorant to the bad reputatation. I will say that I have met Dr.Aceves in Mexicalli and he seemed to truly be concerned for my well being even though I am somebody elses mess. That is he did not cause me the harm and yet as a physician cared enough to talk with me about some options and perhaps course of treatment. He is a total proffesional and it is that simple.

I think that says alott. My journey to regain my health is still underway, but I do have some real life experiences sadly to draw from and I strongly commend Wasa for her generous presentations of relative information for those who are trying to descide who to go to in Mexico or anywere else.

Thank you!

There was a guy posting here on behalf of his brother several weeks ago, was that your brother?

How are you doing? Are things better? Can your problem be treated?

cosmos

I just wanted to add that I started this thread, and have since traveled to mexicali for the surgery. I am a nurse, and thought thru all of the pros and cons listed.

I ended up needing a hiatal hernia repair, and had to stay an additional day on IV fluids, because I was so tight and I couldn't get liquids down.

I did not pay another dime for the hernia surgery or the extra day in the hospital. do you think that would've happened in the US? Now, I really wanted to have my insurance pay a portion of the hiatal hernia surgery, but I could not get Dr A to do an itemized statement for me. I have to live with that, since I went to Mexico.

I do believe that you have to be careful when traveling out of the US. don't select any surgeon that has had problems with complications. choose a reputable Dr.

Not sure but perhaps they wouldn't give you the statement you were looking for is because Dr. A doesn't charge for the hiatal hernia repairs. He throws that in.

NO...to Jose Rodriguez and who ever else he ads to the bunch all of a sudden! He is a scam so my american dr's here say and he butchered me up terrible and his "team", my port was in upside down and tubing came through my skin and I have had to deal with Staph for months and the terror of a near death experience. Be careful! ,God Bless

Pet Lady

Details >>> we need details. Who is this Jose and where ? Give reference material. Sorry to hear of your experience. I know how you feel I had a abd one in Mexico myself.

Sorry...details....Jose Rodriguez and a Dr. Calderon who is a Psychiatrist/Surgeon/anything else he said.....Running scam out of San Antonio,Texas/driving to Acuna,Mexico and Juarez now also. He has moved his scam to Juarez mainly now. So they fly you to San Antonio and then drive you across the border into a dirt street called Acuna, you can't even use toilet paper in the toilets cause it is so underdeveloped. What a dump.

How the "Mexico " is BAD Myth gets debunked is when people who have HAD bad experiences in Mexico or any where for that matter tells people what happened, who the doc was ect so others are aware and can make an informed, educated choice about who they go to for surgery .

People can not educate them selves for safe affected WLS if they dont KNOW !! that's why public forums such as this is so important !

mindy

Petlady, thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! I am sorry for what you have gone through. It definitely helps, like Mindy said, when people post their experiences whether good or bad so people can make better decisions about the surgeon they choose. US, Mexico or anywhere in the world, there are good and bad doctors.

NO...to Jose Rodriguez and who ever else he ads to the bunch all of a sudden! He is a scam so my american dr's here say and he butchered me up terrible and his "team", my port was in upside down and tubing came through my skin and I have had to deal with Staph for months and the terror of a near death experience. Be careful! ,God Bless

Ah yes, the "team". Brought to you compliments of Belite Weight. I would question whether or not it was Dr. Rodriguez doing your surgery. It could have been anyone on the "team". Either way, they are all about the money and they are making lots of it at your expense!

Edited by skinnyplease

I had my surgery on 2-27-08 by Dr. Ortiz. I have not had a single problem and have been very pleased. The staff was very professional and very efficient. The overall experience was fantastic. Dr Ortiz was also noted on Oprah a while back ago and came highly recommended to me. Look into it! :rolleyes2:

We hear a lot of good, bad and ugly stories about WLS in Mexico. Are there good Surgeons in Mexico ? Surely so.

The thing I try to get across to everbody is the feeling you get when your the star of this horror movie and suddenly you realize that you just got a pig-in-a-poke. Your money is gone and so is your hope. Been there !!!

If you make a decision to go to Mexico be ever aware that you have no legal recourse. ( To speak of ) Choose your Surgeon well.

My main problem with your argument is that you act like suing a doctor in the US is a quick slam-dunk. I would truly hate to think that a lawsuit was my only way of being sure to get good medical care. Even if your US doctor has damaged you, you still have to prove it in a court of law unless he is ready to settle quickly, which I doubt is usually the case. And even if you win a malpractice suit, you could be in for years of pain and misery. So I would think that it would be just as necessary to research your US doctor thoroughly, as I would recommend anyone would research a Mexican doctor.

My main problem with your argument is that you act like suing a doctor in the US is a quick slam-dunk. I would truly hate to think that a lawsuit was my only way of being sure to get good medical care. Even if your US doctor has damaged you, you still have to prove it in a court of law unless he is ready to settle quickly, which I doubt is usually the case. And even if you win a malpractice suit, you could be in for years of pain and misery. So I would think that it would be just as necessary to research your US doctor thoroughly, as I would recommend anyone would research a Mexican doctor.

Cosmos had an erosion, he wouldn't have found a US attorney to take that one anyway, erosion is a risk of banding.

You know, there are TWO people on OH right now posting that their surgeons (they did not share the same surgeon) put their band around a wad of fat instead of around their stomach. (I'm still floored by this) One wants to sue, she was self pay and has to pay for a new band, new surgery, the whole bit.

She can't find an attorney to take the case. It's not worth enough, she had no physical damage so she can't sue for anything beyond the cost of surgery, about $15K. It's not worth it to them. Doctors and hospitals used to just pay these claims but they don't anymore, they are fighting back due to people wanting to sue for every little thing that happened and now when someone has a legit case, they are out of luck.

Another person I know was banded in the US, the doc did not check the tubing for leaks like he was supposed to during surgery. She is looking at self pay for a full repair and it looks like the leak may be in the band itself, not the tubing so she is just out the money. She found an attorney to go after Inamed but winning in a whole different story. :rolleyes2:(

Warning !!! according to patrons of this form, all lapbands ( Mexican & USA ) are hazardous and will probably self-destruct, fuel global warming and wipe out all forms of humanity, shortly after thier paid for in full.

Ugh, *sigh* I need a drink after reading all these posts. Wasa can you email me please, I tried to email you.

Warning !!! according to patrons of this form, all lapbands ( Mexican & USA ) are hazardous and will probably self-destruct, fuel global warming and wipe out all forms of humanity, shortly after their paid for in full.

I don't think that is what anyone is saying at all. I think they are saying, that for your own personal health and safety, regardless of whether you choose to be banded in the US or Mexico, it is imperative you research your doctor to ensure they are experienced and reputable. To do otherwise would be a huge disservice to yourself.