Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

help me narrow down mexico surgeon choice

Hi All,

I too was a self pay patient and had my surgery in Mexico in 1995. At that time, I could not afford the cost for Lap Band in the US. I have to say that I had a great experience with my surgeon, his staff and my entire stay in Mexico. If I had to offer one subject of negativety, it would be availability for aftercare/fills. When I add up all the money I've spent traveling for fills, I could have had surgery here in the US and it would have been A LOT cheaper in the end.

Also, there are a lot of very good and expereinced US surgeons offering Lap Band surgery at competative prices to the cost of surgery in Mexico. You just have to take the time to do some research and do the math.

Aftercare and fills are SOOOOOOO important, so make that a priority when making a decision about traveling abroad for your surgery. Some US providers charge outrageous prices for fills and patients realize too late that they cannot affort those prices, thus they cannot utilize their bands as intended. However, there are US providers that are somewhat reasonable in their pricing for fills. My best advice is to have your fill provider lined up before you go for surgery out of the country. Another good option is www.fillcentersusa.com They can help you locate a surgeon abroad or in the US and also assist with making sure your aftercare is in place for you. GREAT COMPANY!!!!!

Best of luck to you! :lol:

Hi there....Anyone here have Lap Band Surgery with Dr. Roberto Rumbaut in Monterrey ? I'd love to hear your experience. It's funny there are so many experienced surgeons there but for some reason he stood out to me as well as the San Jose Hosp facility.

Also is there a "best" time of the year to go to Mexico?....I'm thinking February or this August but I'm thinking it's very hot there in Aug?

Hi Sooverit,, I looked at Dr. Rumbaut,, He's one of the Docs that took part in the lapband trials. But when I priced the airfare to Montery, that put me over the top of my budget.. I then went looking and found Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana. His clinic is called Obesity Control Center. He's one of the worlds best too. Plus its cheaper to fly to San Diego. You might want to check him out. I had my surgery in March of 2007,, I'm down 90lbs. It was one of the best/smartest things I had ever done. I love my band!!!

Hey Dolittle: So good to hear your positive words.. 90lbs.! you rock! You must feel wonderful. I am saving so much going to MX compared to NYC which is almomst 27,000 dollars. I notice on the weather channel that there are hurricans predicted for Mexico tonight. Think I'll go in February! thanks again...

Thank you so much Wasa your information is so valuable to all of us making the venture to Mexico for surgery. I have printed out your incredibly information list to pick Dr. Rumbaut's surg. coordinator's brains. She's gonna think I'm an expert in this! You really should write a book on this topic!

Thanks again!

Thank you so much Wasa your information is so valuable to all of us making the venture to Mexico for surgery. I have printed out your incredibly information list to pick Dr. Rumbaut's surg. coordinator's brains. She's gonna think I'm an expert in this! You really should write a book on this topic!

Thanks again!

Thanks for the nice words.

When I was doing my research I had someone helping me and I realized after my own surgery that not everyone has a Mexican Trauma surgeon helping with research issues. ;o) So I wrote it down one day and it kinda grew from there.

Good luck to you!

When I looked at Mexican Docs, Rumblaut stood out to me too.

Anyway, be careful about Tijuana. There has been a lot of violence there in the past few months or so. Something about drug cartels and organized crime going on shoot sprees and also kidnapping people. It wasn't as bad this time last year, IIRC so maybe it will die down a bit before your surgery time draws near, but if not -- it's something to think about.

I had Mariano Alberto Covarrubias Hidalgo M.D at Bajanor. www.bajanor.com I can't recommend them highly enough. You will hear people tell you not to go to Mexico and that is ignorant. Yes you can get an infection, every bit as well as you can in the states. The only thing you need to be aware of is that you don't just get your band and be done. It requires close follow up so be sure you have a doctor CLOSE to you for that and to do you fills, or unfills is needed. I've ran into multiple problems, such as acid reflux, gall bladder, swallowing difficulties. And after MONTHS of frustration dealing with my doctors here in the states, and a gastroenterologist, I finally went back to my doctor in Mexico, ready to demand that it be taken out. We found my gall bladder not functioning. No stones, which is all they checked here in the states. Mexico, Canado & Europe were doing the band 10 years before the FDA approved it here in the states. So guess who trained out docs! You guessed it. The lap band itself its a no-brainer surgery. The skills required is not a lot in comparison to other surgeries. So when you hear that one particlar surgeon has done 23,000 of these, does not necessarily make him better than the Dr. who did 200. It's like doing dishes. You either get it or you don't. After doing dishes 30,000 times, are you any better than you were after the 200th time? Dr. Kuri, Dr. Asceve, are all good. You'll see their names here a lot online. Of course you will hear a couple people bad mouth them, and naturally the band isn't for anyone. Some poeple get complications, some don't follow up, some don't follow the proper eating guidelines. I"m sure you've found the major places in Mexico where people are going and you should be confident. This is their area of expertise. They cater to American weight loss patients, the health care is very personal, and you'll find you are treated like royalty. Good luck, I know whoever you go with, you will have great results!

quote=MacMadame;929402]When I looked at Mexican Docs, Rumblaut stood out to me too

Hi MacMadame...Glad yoou found your man! I enjoyed reading your blog...read every word! Good reading. I am assuming you have been researching Mexican Docs and wondered why you didn't choice Dr. Rumbaut? He's in Monterrey but you gave me the idea to stay on top of the news there too..can't hurt. I have to wait till Feb for my surgery ...I too have a young daughter and I'll be 50 next year and can see that medication house of cards/horrors you talked about. I need Crestor for Cholesterol and Crestor caused elevated liver engymes...which leads to ...

Anyway, be careful about Tijuana. There has been a lot of violence there in the past few months or so. Something about drug cartels and organized crime going on shoot sprees and also kidnapping people. It wasn't as bad this time last year, IIRC so maybe it will die down a bit before your surgery time draws near, but if not -- it's something to think about.

I have recently begun my research to determine where I want to have my lap band surgery in Mexico. It is the only way that I can afford it. I have read good reviews on Dr Aceves and Rumbault. would like your opinion and other surgeons that have a good record. I need to also be able to fill in MINNESOTA. :teeth_smile:

:thumbup:I chose the SLEEVE, For the main reason, I wouldn't have to worry about fills. Also.. I have seen Post after Post.. Of people that have Bands, And are having Bad Problems, Erosion, Slippage, Vomiting, Sliming Etc.

I have talked to MANY people that were banded, and have since had a revision to the sleeve.. SO.. if saving money is a reason for the band over the Sleeve.. Think again.. Get the sleeve and save your self Much time, And Pain.. Please.. do your research !!!

:thumbup:

I am assuming you have been researching Mexican Docs and wondered why you didn't choice Dr. Rumbaut? He's in Monterrey but you gave me the idea to stay on top of the news there too..can't hurt.

Dr. Rumblaut hadn't done enough sleeves to make me comfortable with him and I've decided to get a sleeve. I think he's one of the best for bands though.

Since I'm getting a sleeve, I looked around and one of the "fathers" of the sleeve is right here in my area. He's more money, but I feel like I'd be crazy not to use him given that he's right here and has such an awesome reputation. OTOH, if their office keeps canceling stuff on me, I may give up and go to Mexico. Mr. Mac won't like it, but I'm getting impatient.

If I go to Mexico, I'll probably go with Aceves. There are other good sleeve docs in Mexico but of the top ones, he's the most convenient and I've heard the least bad things about in terms of complications and stuff.

I Agree with Mac... I initially was going to pick him .. BUT.. the lack of sleeve experience, WAS.. a big contributor.. ALSO.. He charged a bit more, And on top of that.. He was going to charge me even more... because my BMI was higher than the Norm.. SO he got crossed off my list real quick. He is a Fantastik Surgeon.. HE IS>. But.. Wasn't the best for Me !!

I couldn't have been more impressed with my final choice.. Dr. Alberto Aceves ! What a great surgeon,.. and a Great Human Being !

:wink2: