Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you cheat on Pre-Op diet?!!

Did you cheat on your pre-op diet?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Did you cheat on your pre-op diet?

• No I stuck to the diet
    • I slightly cheated but I did my best
    • I cheated all the way - I can't stick to just liquids
    • I didn't have to do a pre-op diet (the lucky people)

I didn't cheat and when my surgeoun opened me up he discovered I was born with a huge liver AND it was on my left side as opposed to the right side :thumbup: So I had to do the pre op diet for another 4 weeks... Yes it was hard going but as this is probably my only chance of good health I focused and got on with it... and when I felt like I was going to quit or crumble I remembered those horrible words when coming round... "We're so sorry the surgery couldn't go ahead" NOT NICE I can assure you. So I focused and hit the treadmill for all I was worth.

My surgery went ahead but because of my problems my surgeon had allowed more time to take it slowly and he said it was still very difficult. Listen to your surgeons please. You never know if you're like me until they open you up.

I think the extended liquid diet also puts your mind where it needs to be to change your life. I hear a lot of the self pay people (do not need to do liq diet) really shocked and upset after surgery because they are not ready for it. It is really hard but it gives you a sense of accomplishment and good attitude for what comes next. As far as the liver thing goes, I have no idea if it is really true or not that it shrinks it. Who knows!?

Was I irritable?

Was I starving?

Did I feel weak?

Did it suck?

yes, yes, yes and yes

Did I cheat?

Heck no!

Did I die from the diet? ummm, no

Have I been successful with the band? heck yeah!

Stop making excuses, no one, including the DR's said it would be easy.

You'll be more successful with the band if you learn to follow the "rules" from the get go.

Sorry to sound harsh, but it's honest advice.

Good luck and much success!

I did not do the pre-op op diet my doctor wanted me to lose 5 lbs but i was like yeah right However the reason behind losing the weight before surgery is to make sure your live is a regular size so that they dont have any problems..that what my doctor said and I have to be honest my doctor is the best...smile dr emma patterson very well known doctor all over the world.curently she is in portland oregon

My pre-op diet was a low fat diet for two weeks with two days of liquids prior to surgery. Not as hard core as some of you all have experienced, so it was easy to stick to.

I feel very fortunate after reading some of your experiences... I'm on day 3 of my pre-op diet... but mine is only a low-fat, low-carb and high-protein diet... basically, no sugar, except what comes naturally in fruit and veggies... lots of liquids (80-100oz. daily), Protein shakes, yogurt or skim milk three times a day... we're even allowed a tiny amount of meat for dinner, and a tiny amount of complex carbs, too... potatoes, Beans or hummus...

anyway, so far, I've lost 3 lbs., and I haven't been too hungry or too tempted... my biggest hurdle is sugar, since I hate the taste of artificial sweeteners in my beverages... but, I'm managing!

Doodle

My nutritionist did say a low carb diet will shrink your liver to help with the banding. I have to be on low carb from the very begining and liquids 2 days pre-op. Not as bad as some of yall.

Yes I had a few dill pickles I had to I had the most powerful craving for pickles. What the heck pickles can't hurt that bad. I told my Doc he said if that is all I did not a problem I think I really wanted the juice. HMMM they were good although it has been over a year ago.

Not at all. didn't cheat on the immediate post op diet either. Wish I could say I was following the program as well now that I'm a year out.

my diet was the strictest I have seen on this site. 3 days before surgery I got the final approval and then something came over me and I had a hamburger. I cried and cried I felt so guilty, but everything with the surgery went fine.:)

I am also on the Pre-Op diet...but my doctor gave my three different plans to choose from. I choose to do the low-carb diet three weeks out before the surgery. I chose this becasue I new I couldn't do just liquids for a week. After reading everyone's post I am so glad I chose this route.

I JUST stopped my preop diet 2 days ago (cuz I had surgery of course), so honey I know exactly what you are going through. It was the worst thing I've ever been through. I cried and complained to my family nonstop. I did eat grilled chicken once, salmon once, and on 2 different occasions, I ate a piece of string cheese. I just couldn't do it without having a tiny bit of something. I had my surgery 2 days ago, and my surgeon said my liver looked fine. I was having nightmares that he would go in and not be able to do the surgery. If you must cheat, have a small piece of protein....no carbs. I promise, you will be fine. Good luck:)

My pre-op is low calorie, low fat, low carb. I can have turkey so for Sunday dinner we cooked a turkey and had steamed broccoli and cauliflower and DH made stove top stuffing....i insisted he not make mashed potatoes, I knew I wouldn't be able to stay away from them.

I had my 3 oz of turkey, 2 cups of steamed veggies and I just couldn't help myself, I had 1 tablespoon of stuffing. I measured it. And I counted it with my daily calories, carbs, fat & Protein. I am at 556 calories, 5.16 grams of fat, 44 carbs and 67.06 grams of Protein for the day.

The weird thing is...canned mandarin oranges and pineapple are on my list and they have a BUT LOAD of carbs in them. I wasn't told to stay under a certain # of calories, carbs or protein, just to eat the required # of servings/ounces of food choices on the list.

So far, besides the stuffing I've done pretty good. We had to to to dinner with in-laws Friday night and they do not know about my surgery and don't need to know. They went to a mexican restaraunt...I ordered the chicken fajitas...grilled chix with peppers and onions, both on the approved list. I didn't have any of the rice, Beans, cheese, or sour cream. I did dip a piece of chix in the guac a couple times but avacodos, tomatoes and peppers are all on the approved list.

I think I'm doing ok.....kicking myself for the stuffing.....but tomorrow is a new day and surgery is on Wednesday. I pray for strength every day!