Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need to tell you all something

This website has made me do a lot of soul searching in the last 24 hours. Things like why am I waiting until March to take charge of my life. I decided today that from tonight I am going to start being responsible for what I put in my mouth and not hide behind excuses for why I eat too much. This is up to me if I dont do it nobody else can. I realize that the fight hasnt even started yet and in a few days I will probably be fighting mind and body not to fill myself with yummy warm fatty food. I feel for the first time in a long time I am in the right frame of mind (knowing that surgery is coming and will be a welcome ally in my fight helps) I CAN DO THIS !!!!wink.gif. Might need some help from the courageous people on this forum, is that ok???

Nat, I don't get my band until late March, but like you, decided now is the time to take charge and start eating the bandster way-I have about 2 1/2 months before my surgery, and I am determined to weigh a lot less going into the surgery then I did Tuesday morning when I took charge. I am eating high Protein, low carbs, watching my fat intake, drinking a lot of Water, etc. And I am exercising. I can do it on my own until the surgery, and then I will have a powerful tool to help in my lifelong fight. I have only been doing this a few days, but have found that if I get hungry-what I need to do is to get off my fat ass and find something to do, like clean, organize a drawer or closet, write a letter, make a phone call, etc. It has worked so far for me. My hardest time is late evening and night, so am planning on having a spotless home in the next couple of weeks, because I will win this fight. The best of luck to you, but I seriously don't think it has anything to do with luck, it is plain hard work.

Hi to both of you,

I'm really impressed that you both are taking control now. I don't know if I would have been strong enough to do that if I had had to wait 3 months for surgery.

Do not hesitate to get onto this board if you need help or support - that's what we are all here for pre-banded or post-banded.

I wouldn't suggest that you try to live on the same size portions as a bandster because even though I have had a small fill, the small portions can still leave me feeling hungry - sign that I need another fill - and without any restriction you will feel hungry and this will make it so much harder for you.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you are going.

Danna

YES you can do it! And so can I!

I have the 6 month "crap" to send to the insurance monsters so I cannot even BE banded until June/July.

Pissed me off a few days ago but I will take these six months to kick ass!!!!!!!

What changes have you made?

I am weaning myself off od Diet Coke. I am eating very slowly and trying to shew chew chew. This won't be something I can forget come bandtime so I am trying to make it a habit.

I have noticed that I am eating LESS because I am thinking about it. I am not just eating the meal because I am a little hungry and it's time to eat. I also am making good portion choices for us(me and DH).

We used to polish off a chicken between the two of us. That's just silly now.

I'm pushing Water water water. That has always been in my toolkit when I was gun - ho on losing weight.

You CAN do it!

Congrats to both of you.

I did a similar thing on 4 Jan. I have given up the diet pepsi. I used to drink a couple of glasses each day. I haven't touched a fizzy drink since then.

I am also filling up on Water. I can't get enough of it now. I monitor my intake and have a huge glass full before lunch at work, then hope it will tide off those hunger pains at 3pm! I know my skin is better for the Water, but I just feel bloated all the time!

I am also chewing more. I have found that tedious, but have found that I have awful back teeth which need filling and it's hard!

I do chew chewing gum every day but I never swallow. I would try to wean myself off that, but I just can't yet.

I haven't decreased what I eat yet, but will soon. I am still eating what I normally would since it's pretty much good stuff anyway, but will need to get my mindset around making the portions smaller.

For interest, we share a chicken between 2 adults and three kids and generally there is enough left over for my husbands luch...and he eats enough for two sometimes.

I wish you both the best.

Thanks guys its great to know that there are others that fighting this like me and dont get me wrong I love my dear dear friends but in my list is a state basketball player and a marathon runner??? and most of the others are super fit and dont tend to have a problem with weight so I kinda feel a bit stupid mentioning it.

I have cut out caffeine since my husband went back to work and this week I am trying to get rid of white bread. We run out of soft drink the other day and my kids have actually forgotten about it after a few days so I wont be replacing it anytime soon.

Im ready to make this my year.

Hi I have been banded for over 3.5 months now and am very aware of what you are and what you will be going through, if I could give you a couple of pieces of advice it would be to take it one day at a time, forgive yourself if you do slip up and make sure that everyone that you socialize with is aware of what you are going to be doing - cause believe it or not if you have other people asking you about your progress etc you will not even want the fatty foods! the other thing that I would tell you / beg you to do if you think that you are going to go through withdrawals when you start the pre-op diet talk to your dietitian about natural pain killers!! I was in extreme pain - with headaches because I was a sugar junkie and within an hour of taking the natural tonic my dietitian made up for me I was human again!

I wish all of you good luck with your journeys!

Hi I have been banded for over 3.5 months now and am very aware of what you are and what you will be going through, if I could give you a couple of pieces of advice it would be to take it one day at a time, forgive yourself if you do slip up and make sure that everyone that you socialize with is aware of what you are going to be doing - cause believe it or not if you have other people asking you about your progress etc you will not even want the fatty foods! the other thing that I would tell you / beg you to do if you think that you are going to go through withdrawals when you start the pre-op diet talk to your dietitian about natural pain killers!! I was in extreme pain - with headaches because I was a sugar junkie and within an hour of taking the natural tonic my dietitian made up for me I was human again!

I wish all of you good luck with your journeys!

Thanks Nat

I will look into these natural pain killers. This is my big fear because I work with children with special needs I dont want to be feeling crappy at work.

I have fallen off the wagon a couple of times but I figure once I am banded the real work starts so as long as I start again the next day Im not being too hard on myself yet. I have found it easy to drink lots of Water and less sugary stuff and I have found some new healthy recipes that my family have actually started requesting for dinner (cant be a bad thing if they benefit too)

Hi Nat

See you are already doing well !! you obviously have the right attitude!! you have already made the hardest decision so everything from here on in will take you down the path to the new and improved you! but just remember that it is a tool - you have to love yourself and know that you are worth it as well- which from the sounds of it you do.

It isnt all going to be easy - trust me on that but just keep your goal in sight and you will get there! I told everyone at work and now have 40 new mothers watching EVERYTHING I put into my mouth this trick has made it sooo much easier to stick to it .

Please do ask your dietician if he/ she is a naturopath for a tonic that will help or do go and see a naturopath for one I know the one that I had had valerian in it as well as a heap of other stuff and didnt make you feel crappy after taking it. It is well worth it!! :rolleyes2:

Well good luck and please feel free to email me if you need to chat!!

Hi Eveeryone Tomarrow Is The Big Day For Me I"m Scared To Death And Very Excited All In One

GOODLUCK!!:rolleyes2:

Hey nat I am a disability support worker...I was having a hell of a time when I had to go on Optifast pre op. In the end I couldnt do it coz It was making me sick and making me go to the loo which was not good when I was out with younger children!!!!

My dietitan put me on a high Protein very low carb diet.

first three days were hardest but I could eat non stop.

I was still aloud cheese n meats n salads n all veg except for potato. If I wanted bread I bought mountain bread and there is also a high protein low carb bread you can get from one of the natural shoppy things lol

I also lived on the JOLS lollies n Jelly (I have a massive sweet tooth) after 4 days I didnt feel hungry or headachy and I coped really well at work suprisingly

If you can try start so that your second n third day arnt at work that would be best Day three was my killer!!

I lost 10kg in 2 weeks doing this before my banding YAY!!

Good luck hun