Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will pills get stuck?

I take Bariatric Advantage chewable multi Vitamin and Calcium. I also use the Any whey Protein powder in my coffee and on foods. It doesn't smell or taste funny. Just a slight vanilla smell. The Bariatric Advantage come in flavored tablets. The consistency is like eating a tums. They aren't bad.. but they sure do not taste like candy!

Just a caution on medications. I asked my pharmacist if my pills could be crushed or broken because some meds should NEVER be broken. I take meds for high cholesterol and blood pressure. The pharmacist researched each for me and found that my meds can be broken.

I've had my first fill, and so far haven't had to break any of my meds. I just have to take them one at a time. :biggrin:

To GG88....is this a RX from your doctor? Is it his RX? I can't afford to buy them since I am on such a low income. Everything would have to be by RX.

Where do you get the Viactiv Calcium? I'm not banded yet, but I want to be completely prepared when the time comes. I should get banded at the middle end of February. I can't wait to begin the process.

My doctor also has me on Bariatric Advantage chewable multi Vitamins and the chewable Calcium tablets. They want me on 1000 mg of calcium a day and they say that the Multivitamins have the highest calcium content around. They recommend the calcium in case I don't get up to 1000 mg between the Multivitamins and my daily food intake.

I take Bariatric Advantage chewable multi Vitamin and calcium. I also use the Any whey Protein powder in my coffee and on foods. It doesn't smell or taste funny. Just a slight vanilla smell. The Bariatric Advantage come in flavored tablets. The consistency is like eating a tums. They aren't bad.. but they sure do not taste like candy!

Just a caution on medications. I asked my pharmacist if my pills could be crushed or broken because some meds should NEVER be broken. I take meds for high cholesterol and blood pressure. The pharmacist researched each for me and found that my meds can be broken.

I've had my first fill, and so far haven't had to break any of my meds. I just have to take them one at a time. :girl_hug:

Where do you get the Viactiv Calcium?

You can get Viactiv pretty much anywhere... grocery store, rite aid, costco (I'm not certain that Walmart stocks them). I would suggest getting a variety... when I used to buy these they came in caramel, strawberry cream, chocolate, vanilla and then some, I'm sure. I bought a big box of chocolate and liked them at first, but reached a point where they would make me gag. The ones I liked best were actually the store brand at Rite Aid-the caramel flavor.

I'm not banded yet, but I want to be completely prepared when the time comes. I should get banded at the middle end of February. I can't wait to begin the process.

There is a thread here for what to buy to prepare for surgery, but I would warn against over-buying. Better safe then sorry is only the case if you have lots of money to throw away, or you have nobody to rely on for help immediately after the surgery. Most people are well enough the day after surgery to get out and pick stuff up if it's needed. I posted a thread a while back about not over-shopping before surgery. I went gung ho in preparation for surgery and am now in posession of many things that I have no use for.

Walmart does have them. They even have their own brand, which I think it called Spring Valley. They are less expensive than the Viactive brand.

Thanks for the buying hint. I probably would do the same overbuying like you! I'll be careful. I'm paying for the lap-band procedure, so money counts!

Hi jazzy, could u tell me if u get bad reflux especially after a fill when u eat, or just antime. I been told a lady is in bad pain constantly i am worried sick cause i take pills for reflux now also can u take gaviscon liquid or chew tablets to line stomach and stop burning feeling, i also take pain killers Vitamins and capsules my surgeon said it might be same or could get worse but i don't want to be in agony with my band and not have fills i'll never loose any weight will i? thanks lizzy.

I'm going to try taking a claritin tonight for the first time. they are so small that I can't imagine it being a problem. Guess I'll find out soon.

I'm still confused. Were you able to take chewables right after surgery? Anyone? I take leventhroid and I can cut that in 1/2 and it's very small. Also can crush but it's one more chore and I really believe you leave a bit of your pill in the cup- it may be dust but with a small pill, that dust adds up. I take protonix, which can't be crushed. At my seminar they said cruch for life....but after when I mentioned that most people I know who had LB can take pills (or cut them), she smiled and said she has to say what they tell her to say....which to me means you don't really need to crush. With thyroid, you can't take the crushed pill with anything but Water, or you might as well not take it. Any further suggestions?

Gwenn

I am 2 weeks post-op and have been taking my "generic" claratin every day....no problems at all. I also take a Nexium purple capsule every morning. My surgeon prescribes it for most LB patients to help prevent reflux. I switched my Centrum Multivitamin to a Centrum chewable....Hope this helps.

I'm still confused. Were you able to take chewables right after surgery? Anyone? I take leventhroid and I can cut that in 1/2 and it's very small. Also can crush but it's one more chore and I really believe you leave a bit of your pill in the cup- it may be dust but with a small pill, that dust adds up. I take protonix, which can't be crushed. At my seminar they said cruch for life....but after when I mentioned that most people I know who had LB can take pills (or cut them), she smiled and said she has to say what they tell her to say....which to me means you don't really need to crush. With thyroid, you can't take the crushed pill with anything but Water, or you might as well not take it. Any further suggestions?

Gwenn

I think everybody is different. My small pills I only cut in half the day after surgery. Missed a couple days worth and then got back on them. The only one I was cutting in half was the horse pill, Metformin. The nutritionist said that some drugs come in liquid form and if you have problems you should ask your doctor to find out if there is a liquid form that can be prescribed.

You can usually take pills if you take them one at a time. I take mine with warm Water. Warm Water opens the band. I don't crush anything and I have a pretty tight fill. I take one, with a bunch of warm water. You can feel if it's stuck and you need to drink more to get it to go through.

I take a bunch every morning and a bunch more in the evening.

I was sent home with liquid meds. Although I still take my metformin and break it up 4 times with a pill cutter. My syntrhoid is small enough.