Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will pills get stuck?

I am totally paranoid about medication getting stuck. I cannot figure out why it's okay to take medication/vitamins when you can't eat solid food.

I have not taken my Calcium since the day before my surgery (last week) because this is a large tablet, and I hate taking the Vitamin C and the metformin. I have cut the metformin tabs into 4 pieces and that helps, but I am sure one got stuck this morning because as I was drinking my Protein Drink a while after taking my meds this morning I became aware of a sensation like a plug getting pulled and my esophogus draining. It was very strange.

What does everybody else do about medication and Vitamins?

I had to stop taking metformin - just too big - even in quarters - kept getting stuck and had to pb. Got my prescription meds in liquid form for after a fill - can take small pills now ok but that'll change again after my next fill.

Yvonne

x

I was told by the dietician that I had to open my pills up ( 2 X PROZAC) and let them disolve in Water then drink the water. Not quite sure if this is correct because Prozac are supposed to be slow release hence the outer cover shell.

I'm preop---my doc has his patients get liquid Calcium and chewable vitamins. My medications can't be crushed, I asked about this, and my doc said "You'll be fine". Did you ask your pharmacist about the prozac? maybe there's another form for you--I think the time release aspect is important. Oh, also am starting Prevacid, that dissolves on your tongue, for when I resume my arthritis med (also an extended release med) The liquid calcium I got at a GNC store, by the way.

Good luck!! Carol

The only medication I take is a Birth Control pill which is really small. My doctor said I should be fine in taking it, think I'll be okay?

I was really worried about this too.... They sent me home from the hospital with a script for Percocet. I thought no way I can take that... they are huge! But they have gone down without any problem. I'm sure everyone is different though...

I worried about this also. I have a couple of small prescription pills that go down fine, but the percocet seemed to stick a little. I was also afraid to take Tylenol so I bought the liquid but is so gross I can't take it. I got a liquid Multivitamin at Walmart (Centrum) and use Tums for Calcium. I just let them dissolve in my mouth. The berry one's are pretty good and they make my stomach feel good anyway.

I cut all of my Vitamins with a pill cutter. It takes a while, but is worth it. I take a LOT (Fish oil, mega antioxidant, garlic, chleated mineral, Calcium, etc.) and I honestly have only gotten it stuck once when I tried to take too many too quickly. I just spread them out a little bit and if I feel any pressure stop for a while. Everyone is different, but I think you should try cutting them and taking them still because Vitamins ARE SO IMPORTANT even for the non-banded.

Best of luck to you!

My doc said the biggest myth is that you can't swallow pills. He said I could have saved some money not buying liquid Tylenol...which is BTW gross!!! He sent me home with a RX for Vicodin (which I've used twice)and I was scared to take it but he said the hole is the size of a dime and it wouldn't get stuck. So far, no problems taking any of my meds. I'd say just listen to your doc...they know what's best for each individual patient.

I was given liquid lortab for pain. I also take a liquid Vitamin which is very tasty and you only take 1 oz per day. It provides super antioxidants and all Vitamins you need. It's a 10 in 1 formula. You can read about it and order at www chance4health.com

Both prozac and percocet are available in liquid form - if your pharmacy doesn't carry them, just ask them to special order them for you - or see if your hospital has an outpatient pharmacy.

Isn't it funny how each doctor has different rules? My doctor said NO pills and I have been crushing my tiny BC Pill. YEK!

I also worry about doing that-do not want any more kiddies!

I cannot take pills unless I crush them, yuck. I had to take a round of Prednisone and Flexerall for an attack of sciatica, and it was pure hell.

I've tried just cutting. I tried cutting a pill the size of a Tylenol into 4 pieces, so we're talking fairly small, and it resulted in one of my worst PBs.

Missed the 2nd part of your question. For Vitamins I use Centrum chewables. I also take Folic Acid and Potassium, both of which I just chew and swallow, they don't have any taste (to me).