Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow Losers Unite!

It's a combination of the older we are, the more our metabolisms slow down, and yes, the people with lower bmi's lose slower than people who have more to lose.

I know for a fact that I would not lose anything if I didn't exercise as much as I do.

I used to track my calories on sparkpeople.com but now I am to the point where I know how many calories I am eating because I tend to eat the same things over and over.

I finally broke my plateau, and dropped another 2 lbs. Now if I can just make it through the weekend without a major pigout, I will be happy.

I am definitely a binge eater. I do fine for awhile, maybe 2 weeks, or sometimes only 4 days, then I go on a major sugar binge. I got a book

called the Beck Diet solution-How to think like a thin person. It's helping me with mind over matter.

Denise,

First I just wanted to say congratulations to you for only having ten more pounds to lose! :( I wish I were that close to my goal.

Second, I'm having a bit of a dilemma. I've been engaged for a little over a year now, and we have set a date and cancelled it 3 times now. These were for many different reasons. One of them being that I want to lose as much weight as possible before I get married. This will be a once in a lifetime thing and I want to be perfectly happy with my weight, pictures, etc. I would hate to look back on my wedding pictures and regret being so heavy. However, we really want to start a family and I want to do it right this time (my 8 year old son was conceived out of wedlock with a deadbeat loser...lol) My fiancee loves my son as if he were his own but we want a baby that's a little of both of us....I'm sure you all understand where I'm coming from. Anyway, I'm feeling like my biological clock is ticking and I'm ready for another baby. We were thinking about scheduling the wedding for this summer but I'm not sure I can lose 100 pounds by then. I guess if I set that particular goal it will get me motivated more but I don't want to set the date and then find that, a month before the wedding, I'm not even close to my goal.

What do you ladies think? Should I go ahead and schedule the wedding for the summer and just really buckle down or should I wait until I'm closer to my ideal weight? Keep in mind that if we don't get married this summer, we'll have to wait until next summer because my fiancee is a school teacher and we want to schedule the wedding for when he has his summer vacation. I don't want to wait until next year......What should I do? :ohmy: But whatever I decide, I know my lapband family will be behind me and encourage me all along the way to get to my goal before the wedding! You girls are awesome!

If you both love each other, weight should not be the criteria for getting married. This is a life time committment and your weights will flucuate up and down. You will look just as beautiful in a wedding gown at any weight. You will radiate your beauty no matter what so get married. Doddie

PS: I was 303 lbs and my husband loved me just like he did when I was 129 lbs. We have been married 36 years.

NJ gal,

I'm in agreement with Doodie... Go ahead and set your wedding date, then do the best you can to lose as much as is healthy. You will be aboslutely beautiful!!!!!! I too have been married 36 years and my husband loves just like I am.... Best of luck!!!

One other thing I forgot to say, your fiance proposed to you at your present weight. It is obvious he loves you just as you are so there is no excuse really unless you have other reasons you are not saying. Doddie

I don't have an answer for you. I know exactly where you are coming from. My daughter is your age. She had gastric bypass and looks fabulous. She hates her wedding pictures.

That being said, you have quite a bit of time left if you schedule the wedding at the end of summer. Maybe the wedding will be a good incentive for you to buckle down and gather all the willpower you need to lose as much as you can before the wedding.

The problem with the band is that you can eat around it. You can figure out which foods go down easily, and are junky. My problem is chocolate.

If you eat right, and don't let the junk food in, you have a good chance of losing well if you exercise regularly. A friend of mine got to goal in a year, doing 2 Protein shakes a day and dinner. She did an hour of hard cardio every day though. She lost over 100 lbs.

I am going to go back through this thread and try to find any of your other posts, to see how you have been losing so far. Keeping up with fills is extremely important too.

Okay, I read all your previous posts. Did you know that smoking speeds up your metabolism? I gained 7 lbs the first week I quit smoking. (15 years ago) Maybe you're trying to do too much at once.

My treat for the day is a sugar free fudgesicle. 40 calories. or a sugar free popsicle 15 calories.

Plus you said you can't get in for a fill. That makes such a huge difference. Did you get an appointment for a fill? If you had the right fill,

it would make a huge difference. I hope you have your appointment. I am so lucky that my dr is 5 min from my house. I would be upset if I had to drive very far to get one. I hate driving!

Thank you to all of you for your kind words! Doddie and dawgfan, I appreciate your comments about me being beautiful no matter what I weigh! And my fiancee asked me to marry him before I even got the band so I was 30 pounds heavier then! I know he loves me no matter what. This is my own thing. I'm the one that's worried about it. Not him.

I'm not going to try and quit smoking right now because it is definitely too much for me. Besides, like I said in my other posts, I only smoke like 3 or 4 ciggs a day so it's not too bad. Just a nasty habit more than anything!

Unfortunately, I already cancelled my appointment for next week for my fill because we just couldn't make it. They will be sending me a letter in the mail with my next appointment which they said will be in March. But I think I can do ok until then if I really buckle down. However, I'm going to work on trying to get a doctor in Kingsport to do my fills, which is only about an hour away. Hopefully I can find someone who will take another doctors' band patient!

Another thing I forgot to mention in my last post was that I do NOT want to get pregnant until I am at least under 200 pounds. I'm not going to put a baby through my own weight problems because I know I will have more problems if I'm overweight while I'm pregnant. I weighed about 145 when I got pregnant with my son 10 years ago and gained 74 pounds during my pregnancy. It was not fun for me. But that's besides the point. I want my baby to be healthy. And I need to be healthy in order for that to happen.

Of course that's not where my weight problems started. I was diagnosed with Lupus at a very young age-11. I was put on steroids for about 3 and a half years. I was always very thin before that. Of course, as I mentioned above, I got down to 145 before I got pregnant. I have a very small bone frame. I'm not supposed to be this way. As a result of this weight bearing down on my small bone frame, I have many bone and joint problems. I'm hoping that will get better as I lose the weight. After I had my son I lost almost all the pregnancy weight until I moved to VA. I lived in NJ, in the same house, all my life before that-21 years! I guess the stress of moving to an entire new state and leaving everything I had ever known and all my friends and most of my family was too much for me! I moved to VA because I had no choice in the matter because of financial problems. I let myself go and I think that's a big reason why I am the way I am today. I'm 27 now and that's all behind me. Hopefully I can just start new!

You will be fine and beautiful if you decide to marry at any weight. You have had a rough life and getting pregnant can be avoided until you are ready. I agree, you want to be slim when you decide to have another and you can find weblinks that bandsters that are pregnant or become pregnant can give you "tons' of information.

No one can make these critical decisions for you but all I can say is don't let the weight issue cloud your judgment. Face your decision head on. Good luck.

Thank you so much Doddie! I've seen some of those pregnant bandster groups and I will keep them in mind. I think that we will probably set the wedding date for the summer. I was banded June 11, 2007 so it will be more than a year since I've had my surgery because we're thinking about July for the date. I will let you all know when we set the date! Thanks for everyone's support!

Good Decision NJ. When you are married if you are half as happy and content as I have been, you will be very happy and content. Lots of support. Doddie

Well, I went to the doctor today (my physician, not my band dr.) and I guess my scale at home is wrong. The scale at my physician's office said 246! The scale at home says 240. Which do I believe? Another scale that I checked on at the hospital said 246. This was a state of the art digital scale so I just went by that one to update my ticker. But now I'm so depressed because here I am thinking I lost 5 pounds and I didn't :lol:

And my back and shoulder problems are worse and PT isn't helping much. I had to have more xrays today and I'm not sleeping. I am so tired during the day because of this that I dont want to do anything. I hurt so bad I feel like I cant exercise. Even low impact kills me.

No your scale is not wrong at home. I doubt there are many scales that read exactly as another one. Pick one scale as your official weight and stick to it. Anyother information should not be included in what you call you weight loss. I use my home scale as the offical one, mainly because I like to weight every day. My doctors scale is for his information not me. When I am asked what my weight is, I always reply which scale. Then I give my home weight. Don't let all the excess information from outside depress you. Doddie

Hi there. I think I should be a part of this group too. I've only lost 10 pounds since my surgery. Most of mine came before my surgery during the liquid preop. Since the surgery, I feel pretty discouraged. I go in for my second fill thursday, hopefully things will pick up a bit. I certainly hope so.