Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow Losers Unite!

I saw the thread moved so I am moving with it. I am definitely a SLOOOWWW loser, but I also know thats my fault because I dont exercise regularly. Just cant seem to get motivated. Thanks for letting me join this thread.

It's amazing how many slow losers there are with the band; however, when I told my Dr's office that I haven't been losing weight since August, they said, that I should have been losing at least 2 lbs a week and that I must not be at restriction.:smash: I ensured them that I was and told them that I had been exercising..etc. So, I made an appointment to speak to the Dr. about it on the 22nd.

Now, here's the funny part. After I got off the phone with them, I decided to break out of my routine and really go for some hard routine for exercising and that finally did it.

I'm not sure how long that will last. I mean, if I hit a plateau again, what in the world will I do then?

My body is stubborn and it's really going to make me work for this. But, I can honestly say that in the 11 months that I have been banded, I HAVE NOT GAINED 1 LB!! :wink2:That makes it all worth it!:)

So, I'm slow. So what? right? I'm not gaining and I don't think I'll ever see those 50 lbs again.

So, I've decided to embrace the slowness. Yes, I'm rambling!:)

I will be interested to hear what he has to say at your appointment on the 22nd. When I had that problem, he had me do a resting metabolic test. It showed I have to eat 1000 calories or less plus

exercise in order to lose weight.

Sometimes it's hard to keep it at 1,000 calories or less, even with the band.

Is anyone keeping track of their calories? I have to admit that I have not been counting calories, I've never been able to. I brought me a journal to keep track of what I eat (which is not a lot) but I still have not been able to even stick to that. I even went so far as to purchase a larger purse so that the book could fit in it but I still left it at home on my dresser. I'm thinking maybe if I can convince myself to log what I eat and to exercise some I can't say more because I haven't done a thing then maybe the numbers will drop. I just really want to be able to shop in a regular store. I've lost 26 pounds and it has been rough but I think with all of your insight and support anything is possible. I'm so glad to be back on LBT.

Until I have good restriction, I have been keeping track of my calories. I want to know where I stand on intake. Once I get restriction and I feel like I can't finish what I'm eating now, then I plan to track as carefully as I can.

Some foods are harder to track than others. Packaged food is easy of course, foods like home made beef stew much harder.

I don't think you need to track if weight loss is where you want it to be, but if you're gaining or weight loss is stuck for a awhile then tracking for a week might be helpful.

I think the post about a slow metabolism is what most of us suffer. Our problem involves genetics along with all the other hangups we have. I have stated I am not in favor of exercising to the max, because no way will most keep up that pace. We got the band to help us control our eating volume not to kill ourselves or cause joint injuries. Everything in moderation and the weight will come off. There was an article in the paper today that just walking 30 minutes a day will take two pounds off a month and I find that is a true statement. I have taken of an average of two pounds a month for a year just by walking or taking aquafit for one hour a day. I eat properly. So my point is relax. Exercise moderately, eat as dictated by your doctor and let the body take care of getting rid of the fat in its own time. Enjoy your life and try to stop worrying about not being fast enough. Doddie

HI Doddie:

Wow, our stats are very close and we even got banded around the same time. I'm so glad I came back here. I really needed to get this support back.

BTW- I can honestly say that I have never kept off 50lbs in a year! So, this is quite a success story for me. Now, on with the other pounds. Um, I mean off with the other pounds. :)

I think the post about a slow metabolism is what most of us suffer. Our problem involves genetics along with all the other hangups we have. I have stated I am not in favor of exercising to the max, because no way will most keep up that pace. We got the band to help us control our eating volume not to kill ourselves or cause joint injuries. Everything in moderation and the weight will come off. There was an article in the paper today that just walking 30 minutes a day will take two pounds off a month and I find that is a true statement. I have taken of an average of two pounds a month for a year just by walking or taking aquafit for one hour a day. I eat properly. So my point is relax. Exercise moderately, eat as dictated by your doctor and let the body take care of getting rid of the fat in its own time. Enjoy your life and try to stop worrying about not being fast enough. Doddie

Well, I'm now trying to quit smoking on top of losing weight. It sucks! And I'm finding myself trying to replace the nicotine with delicious evil foods...lol! Ice cream and cookies...:(

So I got up this morning and bought a pack of ciggarettes... :prrr:

But see, I only smoke like 3 or 4 a day. Is that horrible? And should I try to quit while trying to lose weight? My fiancee is so pissed at me. He says he would rather me quit smoking and gain a few pounds. :rose:

It's like this big circle that I'm going round and round in...and it never stops. I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't. I can't seem to make anyone happy....

Hi to Cchristy and NJ: Thanks for responding about not overdoing it. I have spent my life yo yoing and resenting every minute. So I have empathy about the cigerettes. We spent huge dollars to be like everyone else, then pressure from all quarters to "diet", "exercise" get the weight off fast. Why? what is the rush. My priority from day one was to change my lifestyle and the way I eat one day at a time. If I sound "angry" I think I am a bit chippy. I am told almost daily and I read on the website about "gung ho" this or that. That is fine for those that want to be in the old rut and/or want to take it off fast but please everyone respect the slow losers. We are going another route and for me at least, it is working. Good journey is wished for all Doddie

Oh NJ I forgot to mention. Don't deny yourself a treat once in awhile. I factor into my daily foods one treat. Try it. By denying yourself everything you love, you are doomed to failure. So treat yourself, just cut back on something else.

Thanks for the advice Doddie! I do feel as though I need some sort of treat or I have deprived myself and I go nuts! Especially when I end up finally giving in to my cravings and I go off the deep end....eating till I'm sick!!

I think that the slower you lose, the longer it will stay off. And you're right Doddie. We need to focus on changing our lifestyle habits rather than obsess over what the scale says.

ok, i feel different than a lot of people i see on here.

i am exactly 3 months out today, and i have lost 2 lbs, and i just lost that 2 lbs, in the last 2 weeks.

however, i had lost about 10 after my 2nd fill and then gained back 8 in the next week ---didn't think that was possible, but i'm having major fluctuations.

so, i have good restriction right now, but it loosens up in a week or so. i do not want sweets or treats or anything really when i am tight. i am perfectly satisfied with some meat and veggies. it is just keeping that restriction that is the problem. i'm scheduled for a 4th fill already in 2 weeks. i have felt true restriction and i know that it helps with my cravings, my problem is keeping it there. (i have around 7 cc's in my ap small band).

i need to exercise..

and let me just say about the food tracking, that i think we should all track our food even at restriction. my doc really stresses this. it is the only way to tell if you are getting adequate protien and it is a definate way to tell if you need a fill. you will see a pattern of more eating and can schedule a fill before you gain weight from it.

also, my doctor says as a general rule, if you can eat more than 1/2 of a sandwich with bread then you need a fill. you should only be able to take about 10 bites. i'm not quite there yet, and i'm not stopping until i am. i'm a slow loser, and i need all the help i can get.

funny thing is i drop the lbs fast. 4 weeks after surgery down 12 lbs, 6 weeks after surgery down 4 lbs (gained 9), 10 weeks after surgery 2 lbs over presurgery weight (gained 6), 12 weeks down 2 lbs (but i had lost 10 the first week..so igained back 8)...wth?

just wanted to mention also, that i track my food when i have restriction, it's when i don't have restriction that i have a hard time. and consistently when i track my food i lose.

Does Anyone Think That Having A Lower Bmi Could Be A Reason Why The Weith Is Coming Off Soooooooooo Slow? My Bmi Was 39 When I First Had My Surgery!

Yes the lower the weight of the individual the slower the weight loss is my belief. For instance at 300 lbs after 30 minutes of exercise I have used over 200 calories now at 250 I use 170. So it seems to me I have to walk longer to use more calories as my weight decreases. Doddie