Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for Memphis,Tn LapBand talk

Hi I see Dr. Woodman Too! However I am not self pay so I can't help you there. I have talked to alot of his patients that have been very pleased with him. He is straight forward and to the point but a very good Dr. in my opinion!

When are you getting your band ? Do you have a date? How much weight do you want to lose? Tell us more about your self. good luck with your self pay and getting your band.

Thanks for your reply Jamie. I am glad to know you have a date with Dr. Woodman. I am still in limbo here. It is a big decision to self pay. The cost is really about 18,000. That could hurt. I have now checked with several other doctors in Memphis, but the cost is the same. Oxford, Mississippi was much more. I can hardly think of going to Mexico. I am sure I would want the doctor close by, and I believe Cyndi said you have to pay a large fee to gain access to Woodman and fills. Just seems complicated. Have you met Dr. Woodman? I have met only with Cyndi. A Dallas friend just met with a doctor. He spent an hour and Half with her. I was surprised he had the time. The cost would be $15,000 there if she self-pays.

Nikki,

You might want to contact Hugh Houston here in Nashville. I talked to him yesterday morning during my fill appointment and he said that they were working on getting the Lapband surgery down to $13,000.00. I don't know if they are currently doing surgery for that price, but it might be worth a call. Dr. Houston is wonderful :)

Thanks for your reply Jamie. I am glad to know you have a date with Dr. Woodman. I am still in limbo here. It is a big decision to self pay. The cost is really about 18,000. That could hurt. I have now checked with several other doctors in Memphis, but the cost is the same. Oxford, Mississippi was much more. I can hardly think of going to Mexico. I am sure I would want the doctor close by, and I believe Cyndi said you have to pay a large fee to gain access to Woodman and fills. Just seems complicated. Have you met Dr. Woodman? I have met only with Cyndi. A Dallas friend just met with a doctor. He spent an hour and Half with her. I was surprised he had the time. The cost would be $15,000 there if she self-pays.

Nikki~ Yes i have met Dr. Woodman and he found in my preop testing that i had a rather large gallstone and he did gallbladder surgery on me two weeks ago.I had very little pain and I was back to work in 4 days. I deffinetly trust his abilities as a surgeon. Cyndi is a God send and has been very helpful in every way. Please feel free to ask me anything if I can help I will be glad to.Jamie

Hi memphis lady,

I live in Southaven Ms and one of my good friends at work used Dr. G. Woodman for her gastric bypass surgery. He is a good surgeon but not very personable according to her. There is another surgeon in Memphis named Dr. Madan he is now with Methodist and his price is around 17,000. I have been trying to deal your same issues for the last 8 months. So I finally decided to go to Europe and have my band done there. But I can suggest Dr. Jaime Ponce in Chattanooga I think his price is around 13,500. He works out of Hamilton medical center in Dalton GA (20 mins from chattanooga).

Jamie - Your surgery date is soon. How exciting. Can you tell me what other test Dr. Woodman wanted done before your surgery?

Tricia- Thanks for the tip on Dr. Houston. I will do research for more info!

Madeline's Mom- I had made a call to Dr Maden' s office. Him and his partners match Dr. Woodmans price, 17,000 plus which is next to 18,000. It is interesting you are headed for Europe. Have you checked into the fills after you return home? I am concerned about that also, so I am interested in any research you might have gathered around here on fills from doctors that did not do the original surgery. Dr. Woodson's office told me a few months ago I would pay a large fee to get accepted by him. I think that was to discourage me from going to someone else for the surgery. But, so many people are going elsewhere for the surgery, it seems things will have to open up around here for people getting fills.

Thanks to each of you for your replies and the information! Nikki

Memphis Lady!

So glad to see you on the boards again. I was wondering what happened to you!

Dr. Woodman had me do Ultrasound /EKG Upper GI/ 3 hour Glucose tolerance test/ Several blood tests 10 tubes of blood in all!! UHH!!/Chest Xrays / Saw Nutritionist and Physcologist.

Hope you find out something soon. i know it would be hard to be self pay and not know what surgeon to use. Good luck and keep in touch!

P.S. I'm getting my band Friday the 18th March!!

Jamie - Thanks for the info. That was several test! My regular doctor would order these if needed. I have already seen the Nutritionist and Physcologist that Cyndi recommended before we sent in the first couple of approval request for my insurance. I liked the Physcologist (on Poplar). I am so exciting your date is this Friday. I'll be thinking of you. Things are looking Up for you!

Good luck in your decision ! I hope all works out for you to get your band no matter what route you take. keep me posted on when and where you are getting banded. Thanks for the good luck wishes you sent my way . I appreciate them alot right now.

Jamie, I am sooo happy for you. I thought of you on Friday. I have just read some of your post since then. Thanks for sharing. It is nice to know you are nearby Memphis. I am still researching my options. I am also being out-sourced at work so my hands and Head are full of thoughts. Hope your first day back to work was ok.

Hey Memphis Lady.Thanks for thinking of me. I am not going back to work until this Saturday so I hope I will do okay. I am still a good bit sore,but I gotta go back some time. Hope you decide on getting your band soon and that things work out for you. Keep me posted.

Just thought I would add Dr. Hruska to someone that you may want to contact for self pay, from everyone I have talked to she seems to be the cheapiest and she is very good, she is the only one in my area that takes state insurance like Tenn-care.

She is located in Clarksville, Whichs is about 3hrs from Memphis and 1hr from Nashville.

She requires you to register through her website, and are very good about getting back with you, even after you have sugery this is the quickest way to get a response.

https://gb.remedymd.com/ if you are inrested in talking to her create a new file and then just follow the props.

I know she requires this things to be done before she will even consider doing the surgery.

1. dietian consult for gastric bypass/banding

2. physic appt, for the surgery

3. Written letter of medical nessisity(sp?)

which they will give you a copy of a letter that you can get your primary dr to fill out. this helps with getting insurance to pay, but if self paying it may not be nesscary.

4. sleep study, she is big on this because of the problems with pnemonia that can occur after this type of surgery.

5. She asks that you loose some weight and start a pre opt diet which will be like what you do after the surgery, I done all of this before seeing her, I lost 11 lbs I have always been able to loose about 20lbs on my own but never go under that. So when I didn't loose anymore after talking to her, she knew first hand that I had already lost some weight before seeing her

My highiest weight was 280, after loosing some before surgery I was 269, so the day of surgery I weighed 269, she goes by the 269 but I go by the 280 which is what I weighed the first time I saw her, she just don't count that bit you are suppose to loose before surgery, Ok this is long winded, I hope this helps some of you.

Misty

to jammin and losin:

i just got on this web site so good to hear someone is using dr. woodman. i went to his seminar 2 wks. ago. he was out of town & cyndi did it for him. we were all disappointed. she was nice but she wasnt very informative. what insurance comp. do you have? i have cigna & she brushed all of us off that that cigna she said you will to have a 6 mo. strict diet recorded by a dr. but when i called the insirance comp. they didnt mention that . i now have a appointment in nash april 12 at vanderbilt to see if i can be approved. did you have to go thru anything like that ? i have been on several diets but cyndi said they have to be documented & recent for at least 6 mo. for cigna to pay . she never mentioned that the band had to have fills i didnt know that until i went on the webiste,. it wasnt explained. people were getting up & leaving . so you liked the dr.? thank you for all the info. you can give me .