Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair issues--help!

Not sure what to do about this.

I just am getting over being sick for 3 weeks, ( pneumonia) and still am pretty weak. Anyway, during my weight loss I did lose some hair, I started taking Biotin for this and it seemed to work. Now after being sick, my hair is falling out in hand fulls! I went to pull up my hair (I have shoulder length, naturally curlly hair, thats already thin) and found that I have tons of hair that is missing in the back of my head and little curls, not even 2 inches long . WTH?

I can not even pull my hair in a pony now.

What did or do you take for your hair? Any other ideas on what I can do to have my hair stop falling out and grow fast?

Thanks for any and all help. I just feel like crying over this:(

First off, sorry. This is such a horrible thing to go through. Secondly, I am in the same boat and have been there. I'm 23 and was diagnosed last May with interstitial cystitis. I had beautiful, curly and fine hair. Well after I started taking this really potent medicine, it went downhill from there. My hair is much thinner especially in the bang area. I began to take Biotin as well. I take Biotin 5000 mcg every morning. Make sure to take it daily as it is a supplement that will go through your body. Also, do not use elastic when pulling your hair back.. use hair clips. They cause less stress to the follicles. Since I have been dealing with this for almost a year, I have went through endless bottles of hair products that claim to thicken, etc. Well the shampoo/conditioner combo that has worked for me cost less than $2 each. I use Suave Strengthening Shampoo and Conditioner. It is in a dark blue bottle with a gray lid. It says that it is good as Redken and I believe it. Don't forget to the buy the leave in conditioner as that will give an instant thick feeling. I hope this helps and is somewhat less costly than many products you might have used.

I was just asking my hairdresser about this, and she recommended any conditioner with lots of Protein in it. She was going to pick me up one made by Joico that she said works great, but I can't remember the name of it right now. I'll repost when I get it from her and let you know how it works.

Well, dh asked me yesterday why I'm "going bald." I've been noticing the thinning for a while, but thought it just might be me. Now that he's noticing it I know everyone else is too.

My hair is really short too and dark brown, so it's hard to hide my white scalp. It just sticks out.

I'm actually considering buying a wig, or atleast a few more hats. I have one hat that I've practically been living in. DH thinks I'd look cute in scarves, so we'll see.

You know it's bad when a dh who doesn't notice a hair cut or eyebrow waxing notices you're going bald/thinning.

Hang in there! I am balding in the bang area.. and of course, everytime I see it, I wanna cry! It's like right there looking at me in the mirror. Others tell me not to worry about it but of course, it isn't them! I have looked at wigs and what not. Beautytrends.com has a lot of interesting ones and usually some good deals. I also like Tony Brattan's hair on HSN. I have a "Tony pony" and it is really, really cute! Good luck girls, it is just so hard!

This is a huge myth that somehow always gets perpetuated.

Protein-rich shampoos and conditioners can help the hair appear thicker, but it will not do anything about Hair loss at the root (think about it - we can't all use protein-rich shampoos, and expect to have full heads of hair at 100 because of it). Hairloss occurs at the follicle, which is below the skin. The Proteins in a Shampoo or conditioner can't do anything about what's below the skin, it can only effect the hair it can reach. At best it can help prevent exposed hair from breaking. It will not benefit the follicles nor will it impact true hairloss.

Ask a hairdresser how the Protein helps, and see what they say. Chances are it's some BS answer they've heard through the grapevine.

Hairloss is VERY common following surgery (or just anesthesia, or just significant body trauma, etc.) Most people here notice hairloss starting around 2 - 3 months post-op (give or take) and continuing from... a few weeks, to 8 - 12 months.

I assume you're banded? If so, were you banded in the last 2 - 10 months?

Diets severely lacking in Protein for extended periods of time can see hairloss, but the chances that any of us here fit into that category are virtually nonexistant.

If your hairloss is extreme and persistent, I would recommend a trip to your doctor. There are several more serious issues that hairloss can be a symptom of

I'm 4 months post-op and had my labs done at 3 months to check protien levels, Vitamin and mineral levels and a bunch of other bloodwork my doctor wanted. Everything was normal, just thinning hair. Oh and I have more than my fair share of protien, even supplement with 1-2 shakes a day. I think in my case it's just rapid weight loss, nearing the 100 pound mark since my 1st consultation to 4 months post-op.

So today I went out and bought 2 wigs and 4 hats. I prefer wearing a hat over a wig any day. So for now I'll be wearing hats, but when dh and I go out with his friends who don't know I'm banded or cut my hair I'll be wearing a wig.

This is just my opinion. I had my band surgery 2 years ago and I lost about 50% of my hair. I spent sooo much money on Protein Shakes, Vitamins and nioxin Shampoo. Nothing worked but time. It has totally grown back. But it was very difficult watching it leave. I know how you feel and I am sorry that you are going through this. But it will get better. It lasted about 4 to 5 months for me. As much as I was losing every day I thought I was going to go bald but one day it stopped and I was so relieved. Good luck to you. And if the thing about Protein and vitamins were true then most of the people I have worked with that were homeless or on major drugs would be bald. Because a lot of them go without eating for a day or two at a time. But most of them have pretty nice so try not to waste to much money. Good luck to you all!

Read this on here...thought it was crazy...but the results don't lie!!! I have not lost a strand of hair since I started this.

Use regular head and shoulders Shampoo and intensive care head and shoulders. Alternate every day...regular...intensive...regular...intensive...so on

I SWEAR it has worked for me!

I've lost a good amount of hair also. :wink: My ponytail used to be so much thicker. Plus, I know in the winter we tend to shed more hair anyway. I can't wait for it to stop. I've been banded now for almost 5 months.

The last month I am seeing it, or not seeing it rather. I am a brunette and I see my scalp easy too. The scalp was less noticeable when I had blonde highlites, so I am going back to that.

I got the highlights to hide my scalp as well :wink:

I've been using the head and shoulders mentioned above. My hair loss stopped at that point but only the very front at the bangs is growing back - so far.

I have lots of little sprigs of hair right in the front (little hard to hide). I can't wait to have them sticking up on the top of my head! :tongue:

wombat

I know I have said this before but use Biotin!!

Take it daily with a full glass of Water. It must be taken daily as it is a continous supplement... take at least 5000 mcg. Start with 2 capsules and trust me within a months time you will notice a much shinier, thicker scalp... plus thicker nails. :wink: But it works with how well your hair grows, so if your hair is slow like mine.. it may take a while!

My urologist recommended this after he lost all his hair due to a deadly bacteria disease he caught in South America. Now he has a beatiful head of hair.