Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone,

I'm new to posting to this site, but I've been lurking for a while now and figured it was about time that I introduce myself. I'm going through the pre-banding process now, with the initial surgical consult, and the psych evaluation behind me. I have the physical, dietary, and behavior classes scheduled over the next month. I'm hoping to be scheduled for the first part of March for the banding. I'm having the procedure done in Springfield Mo by Dr. Edwards. I've read a lot of good things about him and his staff and he made a very good first impression, so I feel that I'm in the very capable hands.

I drive a truck over the road for a living, which has helped get me in the place I'm at now (overweight and in need of medical help). I'm a little concerned about how difficult the post-op adjustments will be, living on the road as i do, but I am determined to make this work. Luckily, my co-pilot is also my husband, and he is very supportive, so that should help. If there are any other drivers out there that have had this procedure, I would love to hear from them, and maybe get a few pointers.

I am looking forward to this new challenge in my life, and I hope to meet others that have taken this challenge and are suceeding.

Till next time,

Kathy

Wow that is going to be a challenge with fills and being on the road. I am sure you already talked it over with your doctor. Good luck and welcome to the board.

Iam from St. Louis and want to wish you good luck with it. You will do just fine. It should not be a problem with getting in for fills and that. I work out of town all week and so I just adjust my schedule to get into see the him. My wife and I were banded in Sept. and have had 2 fills. He only does them on Mondays so I work my schedule around his. He also will work with me on it also. We go about every 6 weeks for a check up and at that time he will deceide if you should have a fill or not. Are doctor does them in under x-ray and only takes about 15 minutes to do. I was only laid up for about a week and then could only left x number for a couple weeks and then anything after that. I would talk with your doctor about the type of work etc. Also another thing to keep in mind everyone is differant in how they will react to surgery and pain. I did not have any problems and no pain expect for gas pains. My wife was more tender and had some pain for a few days. If you have any questions ask here or e-mail me.

Chris

My schedule is actually pretty flexible. As long as I let my dispatchers know about a week or so in advance, they work really hard at getting us home, so hopefully the fills shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'm worried about the dietary aspect more. Truckstops don't usually have the best selection of healthy food. I have my dietary consult the 22nd of February and I'm hoping to get some good ideas then.

Dr Edwards suggested that I remain home for a few days after a fill to make sure there aren't any complications. I guess it would be hard to find a doctor while out on the road. I don't think I would feel comfortable with doctor I didn't know anyway. But that shouldn't be a problem either. You won't hear me complaining about needing to take a few days off. :)

I didnt realize there was anyone in Springfield doing this surgery. Is it being done at Cox, St Johns or Drs?

Bud: The only doctor I know about in the Springfield area is Dr. Edwards with St. Johns. I can give you the nurse coordinators number if you are interested. His staff has been wonderful so far, and I couldn't have been more impressed with him.

I'm in MO, but I don't drive a truck. :cool:

Waiting a few days after a fill is a wise suggestion, but the window for problems isn't limited by a few days, weeks, years... :eek: Problems can strike at any time.

I would suggest you speak with your surgeon about the possibility of needing an emergency unfill (it won't guarateeably be needed, but everyone I know has needed one at some point), and make sure that you have his/her contact information to give to whatever ER or physician you're able to see on the road.

Also, just because I assume you will do a large portion of your eating in the truck, or be in the truck shortly after eating, make sure you have some containers/lids handy. I've had two close calls in my car (felt fine at the restaurant, but problems struck on the way home), and one in a service limo to the airport. All three times I could pull over or have the driver pull over, but it may be more difficult in a semi on an interstate, especially one without much shoulder, or a long bridge, etc.

I do travel frequently by plane, and have a few "rules" for travel days. Most of them probably won't apply to you (e.g. being extra tight while in the air), but I also just try to be generally smart about when I eat in relation to when I fly. If my flight is at noon, I'll just have liquids that day. If my flight is in the evening, I will eat, but generally not within 3 - 4 hours of my scheduled departure time. (Once upon a time I missed a flight because I was yakking in the bathroom for two hours, and not about to board knowing I wasn't done yakking). If there are times on the road where you're kinda screwed if something happens, just be aware of it and consider it when you plan out your day.

Chris, Who Is Your Dr In St Louis? Im Seeking Lapband Surgery With Dr. De La Torre At Dupaul.