Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Twenties Chat

Hi Marine that must be so exciting! Getting banded on Tues! Gotta say Im a wee bit jealous. I cant wait to be banded. But Ive been researching the process for like 5 years so I guess waiting a few more months cant hurt. r u nervous at all? will u be keeping us posted???

Hello everyone my name is Kayla i'm 21 and was banded on May 7 so i'm just a little over a week out and feeling really good. I'm a drug and alcohol counselor and soon to be finishing my bachelors in psychology. Good luck to everyone on their weight loss and those who have yet to be banded!

Hi Kayla. Sounds like your job is tough but rewarding. Loks like youre doing well with your weightloss so far. Awesome. :thumbup:

Hi Marine that must be so exciting! Getting banded on Tues! Gotta say Im a wee bit jealous. I cant wait to be banded. But Ive been researching the process for like 5 years so I guess waiting a few more months cant hurt. r u nervous at all? will u be keeping us posted???

Yes I am nervous, but I'm trying not to think about that part! When are you getting your band? In the next few months? I hope all goes well for you! I'll keep you updated. :thumbup:

I'm currently going thru the process. Its a bit odd for me because my surgeon is the one with the hoops, and not my insurance. Nonetheless, it makes me all the more confident in my surgeon and his ability. So I'm working my way thru them all, trying to get them done in a month (I know, crazy right...?!!) so that I can get banded by July (crossing fingers for insurance approval!!).

You're not alone! All my insurance required was that my BMI was above 40 if I had no co-morbidities. All the other appointments and clearances I needed were just for my surgeon. My insurance was sent for approval and approved within the same morning, so it frustrates me that I still have to wait so long until I get my band (June 12th!).

Anyways, my name is Angel (Angelique) and I also live in the NYC area. I am 24 and engaged to a wonderful man and live with him and our 3 cats. I work in Litigation Support. I can't wait to be a bandster!

Hey all! I am Abby and I am 23...will be 24 in August. I am getting banded on May 24th. I am not married, but hope to be soon. I also want to have babies one day so I am hoping that this band helps with that. I am so glad that I found this forum. It is such a great resource for information for anything from sex to clothes, recipes to anecdotes. :thumbdown:

Froggi - how tall are you? Are stats, age, weight are exactly the same! I am 5'5".5

I'm 5'9 and I weigh less now!! :thumbdown: 8.5 lbs lighter ahhhh i am loving this diet

I'm Laura, 21 and currently living in Portland, OR. Originally from Baltimore, MD. In a month or so, I'll be moving back east to a small town in WV to help my parents with their new business.

I'm not banded, but have been here doing research, and currently searching for doctors in VA and MD to consult with as soon as I get back east!! So if anyone has any recommendations... :thumbdown:

Where in WV are you moving back to. I am in WV. :smile:

Good luck Tuesday Marine!

Yes I am nervous, but I'm trying not to think about that part! When are you getting your band? In the next few months? I hope all goes well for you! I'll keep you updated. :confused_smile:

One more day!!! You must be so excited!

thanks for the well wishes! i can't believe its tomorrow, i'm starting to freak out a little. i'm worried i'm not going to be able to get to sleep tonight, and i have to be up a 6am tomorrow to get to my surgery place on time. i live about 1 hour away, but there is always a lot of traffic in the morning. i hope everything goes well! :confused_smile:

Yes I am nervous, but I'm trying not to think about that part! When are you getting your band? In the next few months? I hope all goes well for you! I'll keep you updated. :wink2:

First let me apologise for not being on since friday. Im moving and its crazy and I had 2 doctors appointments and a support group meeting yesterday. Looks like Im on track for getting my band in July.

Sorry I didnt get a chance to wish you luck before your surgery. I hope its going well for you and I cant wait to hear about how your journey is progressing. How long are you out of work for? Are you in any pain? How do you feel?

Hey Guys!

It REALLy helped me out to hear everyone else's stories about their banding experience, so I thought I would share mine as well in hopes it will help others who are going later this month! I'm doing ok so far on day 2...definitely more pain/soreness than day 1, and the gas is still here...feels like i have really bad indigestion.

I got up around 6am yesterday and left the house at 6:30am, I had packed a bag the night before with all my meds, a blanket, an extra shirt, some Water and a pillow. I arrived at the surgery clinic (I was banded at North West Weight Loss Surgery) about 8:20 (I was a little early). I sat next to a nice man in the waiting room and chatted with him for a bit, he had been banded about 13 months ago and had lost 100lbs. His wife was being banded while he was waiting. After he left to be with his wife when she was out of surgery, I was given some papers to sign and read over. Then I was taken back into the pre-op room where I changed into a gown, robe and socks. They gave me a nice bag to put my extra clothes in and a thing of chap stick. Then I came back out and they had me sit in this sort of recliner chair thing and gave me a blanket. Then they gave me a shot in my thigh to prevent blood clots, I think that was the worst part of the whole procedure, I don't like needles and the shot stung for about 5 min after I got it, and I have a purple bruise today from it. After that I had to wait a little while as the surgery before me was running a little behind. Then my surgeon came out and chatted with me and my dad for a bit and asked if we had any questions. After that I had my IV put in, which actually hurt less than the shot because he put some numbing medication on my hand before.

After the IV was in, they got me up and I walked into the OR. I laid down on the table and they put some meds in my IV and put an oxygen mask on me, I remember looking at the nurse and her telling me I was going to be fine and thats the last thing I remembered.

I woke up as they were rolling me back into a recovery room, I was pretty groggy but came out of it well. (I started singing Gwen Stefani) They brought my dad to me and gave me some Water to start sipping on. They would come and check my vitals every 15min to 1/2 hour or so. They asked how my pain was and I decided I could use a pain shot, so they gave me some, I think it was called dafiral or something? It started with a D at any rate. I stayed in bed for about 2 1/2 hours, then they had me get up and walk about and I went to the bathroom. I was then lead to the "step down room" where I was in another recliner type chair. I sat there for about another 1/2 hour and was given my discharge instructions. Then I changed into my comfy clothes and my dad brought the car around. The nurse helped me out and I pretty much feel asleep the second I got into the car. So I don't really remember the car ride home. Once I got home I had some chicken broth and Soup and took a nap. Then one of my girlfriends came to see me and we watched a movie together. I would get up about once an hour and do a few laps up and down the hall, I found it really helped with getting the gas out...or at least trying to get it out. My friend left, and I started watching the Heros DVDs and another girlfriend came over and watched a few episodes with me. My dad went out to get me some straws and juce and my friend left (around 10pm) I had some more Soup and some juice. (My sweet dad also brought me back a giant princess balloon and a stuffed animal to make me feel better). I found its a lot easier to drink water/juice with a straw....although I think it lets more air in. As the night went on, I've had been getting more sore, mostly on my port, I think this is because the numbing medicine they gave me in my tummy was wearing off. All in all, I feel pretty good, a little uncomfortable and sore, my best advice right now is to keep up on the pain meds BEFORE you feel like you need them, if you take them every 2-3 hours you won't really feel the pain.

So thats pretty much my story. Good luck to all of you upcoming bandsters!

Marine

It's so good that people our age do something about being overweight now rather than waiting until you're older and having so many health issues. Congrats to all of you and I wish you all success with the band!:rolleyes: