Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Karen, congrats on feeling liberated yet being able to feel full. I tell people that, for me, life after the band is like walking down a corridor as opposed to through a broad, endless plain : finally, now, there are boundaries. Enjoy that salad!

I think that's sound advice coming from Cheri and Janet - watching what we eat and watching the scale are obviously essential. I'm glad I took it a few pounds under my goal weight - gives me enough time to realize any change I have to make.

:) Thanks, nervous, but happy! Karen

I wear the shapers that go up to your bra line - and I have these corresett type ones too that help the girls look more perky (went from a 42 D to a 34 :) But did find a new bra at Pennys this weekend - love it...

I can't stand to go w/o a shaper - I am too vain - I hate seeing rolls and if I didn't wear them - the saggy skin causes one - I like looking finish - beauty before comfort as my Mom use to say ;0)

That was a great NSV - I don't look anything like my passport picture ;0)

I forget how far out are you - your port shouldn't be bothering you that much - have you talked to your doc about it

I am almost 5 months out. I made a stupid mistake about 3 weeks ago and lifted and moved furniture that was too heavy. (I am a teacher and the janitor hadn't moved my filing cabnets back.) I pulled muscles. The doctor told me I was ok but that the muscles would be sore.

On the right track

Wow... at five months out, I'm surprised there's that much concern, though as a teacher myself I know that moving file cabinets can strain you, band or no band. Tell you what, though - I have a fear of playing contact sports because of the chance of taking a ball or a body blow right in the chest - can't imagine that's be very pleasant with the port right there (yeesh, hurts just to think about it). Anyone had that experience and lived to tell about it?

Wow... at five months out, I'm surprised there's that much concern, though as a teacher myself I know that moving file cabinets can strain you, band or no band. Tell you what, though - I have a fear of playing contact sports because of the chance of taking a ball or a body blow right in the chest - can't imagine that's be very pleasant with the port right there (yeesh, hurts just to think about it). Anyone had that experience and lived to tell about it?

Not me, but I do find that even placing something I am carrying wher I normally would have on my chest/stomach, I have to move it because the port is uncomfortable. SO I have to carry with my arms, or not at all.

"Not me, but I do find that even placing something I am carrying wher I normally would have on my chest/stomach, I have to move it because the port is uncomfortable. SO I have to carry with my arms, or not at all."

Interesting... come to think of it, I also consciously avoid physical contact with the port site - I rough and tussle less with the kids, and am conscious of potentially painful situations. My port is not uncomfortable in and of itself, but it is definitely more exposed than it used to be, a lot less padding there for sure. Most of the issues I've come up regarding port sensitivity through searching on this site involve post-op complaints. I think I'll run this by the "near or at goal weight" folks and see what they have to say...

So it seems that there is a solution out there (not ready for this one yet, but good to know it's out there); a "low profile" port, located slightly lower on the belly. According to previous posts, it "can be done under local anesthesia. Apparently, the reason most surgeons don't start with a low profile port is because they would need an ultrasound to find the port for fills through the fat." For more info, check out this thread:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f109/low-profile-port-39874/

Edited by bandpal

Hello all the 50 plus banders out there, I love reading your stories. I am not banded yet and hope to be soon. I have my seminar on the 18th this month. So excited! I also was wondering if my aches and pains will go away when the weight comes off? I have found it hard to lose weight now that I'm in meonopause. Anyone else have this problem? I am hoping for more energy and to get off all the meds I have been taking like bp and col. I have some heart issues too and I don't need diabetis to trigger forward either. Wendy

As to port - I'm 3 yrs out - I don't play contact sports - so cant help there - you might want to ck out the guys room ;0)

My port left side 3 inchs under breast - sticks our like an egg some times - but not getting surgery to fix it - it's the part that hurt the most after surgery - once was enough..

Menopause - I'm there lost 105 lbs in 1 yr - didn't affect my weight loss - but again I ate 800-1200 cals a day kept a food diary and exercised 4-5 times a week - never hit a plateau

On my way to the gym - sorry for the drive by

Hello all the 50 plus banders out there, I love reading your stories. I am not banded yet and hope to be soon. I have my seminar on the 18th this month. So excited! I also was wondering if my aches and pains will go away when the weight comes off? I have found it hard to lose weight now that I'm in meonopause. Anyone else have this problem? I am hoping for more energy and to get off all the meds I have been taking like bp and col. I have some heart issues too and I don't need diabetis to trigger forward either. Wendy

Physical problems do improve, but I will always have osteoarthritis which was worsened by the weight but was also hereditary, and my cholesterol and triglycerides are not where they should be. My cholesterol meds raised my bp but not enough to put me back on meds for that. I've had a total hysterectomy but still managed to lose the weight with the help of the band. Once you're borderline diabetic, or as my Dr. said, you probably are diabetic, you still have the disease but your blood sugar stays under control with the weight loss and the avoidance of almost all simple carbs (sugar and starches) most days.

"Not me, but I do find that even placing something I am carrying wher I normally would have on my chest/stomach, I have to move it because the port is uncomfortable. SO I have to carry with my arms, or not at all."

Interesting... come to think of it, I also consciously avoid physical contact with the port site - I rough and tussle less with the kids, and am conscious of potentially painful situations. My port is not uncomfortable in and of itself, but it is definitely more exposed than it used to be, a lot less padding there for sure. Most of the issues I've come up regarding port sensitivity through searching on this site involve post-op complaints. I think I'll run this by the "near or at goal weight" folks and see what they have to say...

So it seems that there is a solution out there (not ready for this one yet, but good to know it's out there); a "low profile" port, located slightly lower on the belly. According to previous posts, it "can be done under local anesthesia. Apparently, the reason most surgeons don't start with a low profile port is because they would need an ultrasound to find the port for fills through the fat." For more info, check out this thread:

I forget about my port most of the time unless I'm wearing a belt or high-waisted tight around the waist pants. I do let the grandkids tussle with me but I've always had to protect my boobs from elbows and knees, etc., so now I just automatically stretch that to the port.

I have no trouble catching balls but I haven't done contact sports in a long time. Nevertheless, I was walking around the gym (I, too, am a teacher) and a student dove after a ball and knocked my feet right out from under me. I landed on my left side, breaking a spur off my hip and jarring my whole body, especially the left side where I was partially on my stomach, so I know my band was jarred pretty good. Took months to heal up. Neck, back, hips, pelvis. I succeeded in doing a pretty good volleyball fall, arm fully extended in front of me, landing flat, distributing the impact, but I'm so full of arthritis and my lower body was twisted from the impact so that I landed right on the point of the hip. Bruise like you wouldn't believe. But my band was OK. Lots of "give" in the stomach so it just got pushed into the abdominal cushion but not injured.

So, sometimes, you may avoid impact but it doesn't always avoid you. The band is pretty sturdy.

Cheri

So good to find this thread! I was banded on July 27th and am scheduled to have my 1st fill on Sept 1st. I can't wait, as I am daily getting more and more of the hungries! I wait it out as much as I can and I am basically following my WW points diet to try to at least maintain my 16 lb weight loss. I am trying to be patient, but it's hard. I want restriction! :)

I am so happy to have it to look forward to though, I feel as though there is finally a light at the end of the tunnel! :cursing:

Tracy

Hi Tracy!

Congratulations on your surgery and your weight loss, and welcome! This period in between the operation and the first fill is commonly referred to as "bandster hell" - after the swelling from the operation, which creates a sense of restriction, goes away, we are essentially left as we were before.

Except, we are not. First of all, the first few months are crucial for the band to set right - can't mess with that. What kind of a post-op diet do you have? Secondly, think of the step you've taken (I kept pictures of the bruises on my chest, and had the scars to remind me, too) and honor it and yourself by hanging in there.

Not only is there light at the end of the tunnel, but there is finally a tunnel! The band gave boundaries to my endless, insatiable appetite - even during the hard period you are going through. Feel those boundaries - I know they are there for you too. And you have us here to share with. We know what you're going through.

Miracles can happen here - if you can stand the sight of a middle-aged man in his underwear, click on my bandster profile, and you'll see one. Good luck!

Just a warning. It took 2 fills before I felt restriction. Then after I lost 10-15 lbs again the fat pad under the band had shrunk leaving the band loose and me with little restriction. It's very important to keep up with your fills.

Bandpal, great pics. Thanks for being willing to let it all hang out. LOL.

Cheri

That is why wearing the Nearly Nothing helps to keep it comfortable. It doesn't hurt as much but when something bumps me I know it. My husband putting his hand on me during the night sometimes causes pressure. I was hoping it was something that I would just get used to. I would not ever go back. I am 5 months out and 49 pounds less.

On the right track

Hi Tracy!

Congratulations on your surgery and your weight loss, and welcome! This period in between the operation and the first fill is commonly referred to as "bandster hell" - after the swelling from the operation, which creates a sense of restriction, goes away, we are essentially left as we were before.

Except, we are not. First of all, the first few months are crucial for the band to set right - can't mess with that. What kind of a post-op diet do you have? Secondly, think of the step you've taken (I kept pictures of the bruises on my chest, and had the scars to remind me, too) and honor it and yourself by hanging in there.

Not only is there light at the end of the tunnel, but there is finally a tunnel! The band gave boundaries to my endless, insatiable appetite - even during the hard period you are going through. Feel those boundaries - I know they are there for you too. And you have us here to share with. We know what you're going through.

Miracles can happen here - if you can stand the sight of a middle-aged man in his underwear, click on my bandster profile, and you'll see one. Good luck!

Hey Bandpal, thanks for the warm welcome. I am most definitely in bandster hell! I am working my way through though and hoping that my band healed well. My post-op diet was 1 week of liquids and 1 week of mushies and then I was able to go to a regular diet. I have been slowed down by the band for sure, have gotten stuck on bread a couple times and on corn tortilla once. I had to stop and wait and wait until it finally went down. I guess you could call that restriction of sorts. Of course I can pretty much eat all I want as long as I go slow!

I have always been a volume eater and the past few years it seems like eating has been an all-consuming pastime for me. It's kind of a relief to have the craziness taken away. I do feel the boundaries, in the faint distance, and am excited for them to get closer, lol.

Congrats on your awesome weight loss, that is great! And wow, good on you for posing in your underwear and posting it! woohoo! :lol: I could never do it :lol:

Wendy, I went thru menopause before getting the band and I had gained about 20 pounds or so from it. The band worked great taking that back off and much more. I was taking 2 different blood pressure meds and got off of both of them within about 6 months into the band. You will love it! Best Wishes, Gaye