Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

While I mean no disrespect to our younger banded friends on here, being 50 we seem to be doing this for different reasons.

I have to say though, that for being banded such a short time, you are doing better than most of any of us. I feel like if I lose a lb or two a week Im doing great, and then I read stats like yours. Iv only been banded a few weeks less than you and see how much better you and some are doing losing so much faster than me and wonder what I am doing wrong. I started dieting back in June too. I'm just glad I keep progressing, pitter pat go the little footsteps.

That is super news and I really need lots of positive! I feel so much better and I know this will be a huge change for the better for me. It was not that many years ago I could get on the floor and play with my grandsons. Now it is a chore to get down on the floor and a much less pretty site of me getting up! So with a new grandaugher on the way I said I had just had enough of this fat. It was in my way and I needed to do something about it for good. I lost 85 pounds when I was very ill with a gall bladder infection and surgery. So I can lose, it just happened that I let myself get back up after two years and I gained nearly all of it back. BTW I was just given an 8 month old lab puppy from my husband. He is our third lab and what a great addition to our home. He is from Golden Gate Labrador Retriever Rescue. He was de-barked and then given up to a shelter in Bakersfield CA. He was rescued and brought to Carmel where we got him. What a joy he is and I am very lucky he is mine! So for anyone looking for a new member of your home, check out the rescues!

Welcome Blklab70,

Please tell me I'm wrong. Does de-barked mean that your puppy has had his voice box removed???? I'm feeling ill that anyone could do such a thing.

Best wishes.

I have to say though, that for being banded such a short time, you are doing better than most of any of us. I feel like if I lose a lb or two a week Im doing great, and then I read stats like yours. Iv only been banded a few weeks less than you and see how much better you and some are doing losing so much faster than me and wonder what I am doing wrong. I started dieting back in June too. I'm just glad I keep progressing, pitter pat go the little footsteps.

I sure don't mean to make anyone feel bad by posting my stats. I don't know why I am losing so well, but am absolutely thrilled. I do really watch my portions and food choices, etc. I just wanted to show the original poster that I am 50 and am doing great.

However, you did say you were dieting. To me diet is a bad word, I've been there done that so many times. I am really trying to look at this as a lifestyle change, something I have to change permanently not just til I get to goal. You are doing great.

For your cruise, I don't think April would be too last minute to get clothes, though have never shopped Ebay, is their shipping really slow? We are thinking of a cruise in the spring too. Am holding off on booking anything as I also need to go to FL more than likely as my grandma is turning 100 and am awaiting to see what plans out for that.

I wish I had Janet's metabolism. When I was first banded, I lost 22 lbs during the post op diet. I stayed exactly on plan and exercised daily and over the next 4 months lost no weight. It was very discouraging. The thing that kept me going was I knew the scale eventually had to move because my portions were so much smaller.

I had a resting metabolic test done to find out exactly how many calories I needed to eat in order to lose. My body lost when it wanted to, not when I thought it should, because I was following all the rules.

Hello All!! Today was the day!! My band was placed this AM, back home by 330PM and I am feeling great. I have been dozing, sipping fluids, and walking. The pain in my shoulder seems to have left so now I just have a tender tummy. YEA!!!! I am so glad to be banded.

Hello All!! Today was the day!! My band was placed this AM, back home by 330PM and I am feeling great. I have been dozing, sipping fluids, and walking. The pain in my shoulder seems to have left so now I just have a tender tummy. YEA!!!! I am so glad to be banded.

CONGRATS! ON STARTING THE BAND JOURNEY. YOU WON'T REGRET IT! I am glad you are doing so well.:laugh::thumbup::lol:

I have a large credit on ebay that I want to spend for fancy dresses on the QM2, over $300 sitting out there and since it has to be shipped, I dont want to wait too long is why Im nervous of waiting until the last minute. The large credit is because when they charged me for my lapband in pesos, they overcharged me when it went thru in dollars by quite a lot. I went to Mexico and the company paid me back via paypal.

Right now the weight is still coming off faster than Im dropping sizes. I tried on a size 18 jumper just today and it barely zips.

Flowers

You are doing great - you have to take into consideration that you have a lower bmi than what most of us .. That's a factor too.. If I remember correctly Longs started out with a high bmi... So she is going to drop the weight faster - and again all our metabolizms are diff..

I can't beleive that at 181 you can barely zip an 18 - I was an 18/20 in pants at 250 and 22/24 tops... Where are you buying your clothes :laugh:

Even with shipping which takes 10 days most - you have plenty of time - I really would wait until April at least..

I sure don't mean to make anyone feel bad by posting my stats. I don't know why I am losing so well, but am absolutely thrilled. I do really watch my portions and food choices, etc. I just wanted to show the original poster that I am 50 and am doing great.

However, you did say you were dieting. To me diet is a bad word, I've been there done that so many times. I am really trying to look at this as a lifestyle change, something I have to change permanently not just til I get to goal. You are doing great.

For your cruise, I don't think April would be too last minute to get clothes, though have never shopped Ebay, is their shipping really slow? We are thinking of a cruise in the spring too. Am holding off on booking anything as I also need to go to FL more than likely as my grandma is turning 100 and am awaiting to see what plans out for that.

Lori - Don't feel bad - you need to be very very proud and there is nothing wrong with being proud of your accomplishmenst and posting to that effect... Heck - I think Wasabubblebutt lost her weight (100 at least in maybe 6 or 8 months) it can be done - it depends on the work you put in and metabolisam..

I wish I had Janet's metabolism. When I was first banded, I lost 22 lbs during the post op diet. I stayed exactly on plan and exercised daily and over the next 4 months lost no weight. It was very discouraging. The thing that kept me going was I knew the scale eventually had to move because my portions were so much smaller.

I had a resting metabolic test done to find out exactly how many calories I needed to eat in order to lose. My body lost when it wanted to, not when I thought it should, because I was following all the rules.

Denise - You changed your name:scared2: - What are you trying to do Confuse this old broad:redface: - For me prior to being banded I was a total couch potato - I think exercise along with my healthy eating is what got me to goal within a year - I think that my body needed the exercise...

Congrats Mnorman - You are doing great !!!

Katydid, that is exactly what it means and now he sounds like he has the hiccups when he barks. I think that is just aweful. He was left outside all day and they did not spend enough time with him so he grew bored. No one hates a barking dog more than I do, but that is not the way is should have been handled. Oh well, that dumb owers loss is certainly my gain since he is just the best boy and having him only a month now, I love him so much!

Ok can anyone tell me, when you go into surgery do you have to have an IV? I know that it sounds funny, but I just hate having an IV. If it is in my arm I do much better than in my hand. Just wondering! I have learned more from all of you on this thread than any I have been reading. Thank you all so much for your wisdom. One more question. When you say you need to walk the first couple of days, like what are you talking about? Going around the block? down the driveway? What is exactly walk mean? We live on a farm and our blocks are huge! LOL

Katydid, that is exactly what it means and now he sounds like he has the hiccups when he barks. I think that is just aweful. He was left outside all day and they did not spend enough time with him so he grew bored. No one hates a barking dog more than I do, but that is not the way is should have been handled. Oh well, that dumb owers loss is certainly my gain since he is just the best boy and having him only a month now, I love him so much!

Ok can anyone tell me, when you go into surgery do you have to have an IV? I know that it sounds funny, but I just hate having an IV. If it is in my arm I do much better than in my hand. Just wondering! I have learned more from all of you on this thread than any I have been reading. Thank you all so much for your wisdom. One more question. When you say you need to walk the first couple of days, like what are you talking about? Going around the block? down the driveway? What is exactly walk mean? We live on a farm and our blocks are huge! LOL

Well - at first it means around the living room! You should increase your walking daily until you are feeling like being up rather than in that recliner for most of the time. Its cold here in Kansas City area right now - as it is many places around the country - so I am not doing a lot of outside walking. I was banded 2 weeks ago yesterday, down about 15 pounds since pre-op, and feeling so much better as this week ends. DH and I did a little shopping yesterday afternoon and had dinner w/friends last night (not too hard to find mushies at a Mexican restaurant, and I was full quickly). Today we did some major shopping and lots of walking! I was really tired when we got home, but a month ago I could not have done it. I am SO GLAD to have this band.

I did have an IV - I think it is standard procedure for any surgery - and better than other ways of delivering drugs. Its not fun, but not a big deal either.

Welcome to this thread. You have found some wonderful friends.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and condolences. We miss little Abbie, but know it was the right decision. We enjoyed her sweet disposition, devotion, and unconditional love for almost 11 years. We feel blessed to have had that experience in our lives.

Hi Katy

You are so good putting in the lbs for our American friends, I now have a calculator at the laptop so I can convert all the numbers. We went from Kiama NSW to Ballarat Victoria and lots of stops on the way during early December and I put on 1 kilo but took it off within 3 days of being home again. Eating out is a problem that I am yet to conquer. (Banded 27/10/08) Those Maccas seared chicken mini wraps are good and just fill the spot and only $1.95 my husband doesn't mind the reduction in my meal prices. I haven't lost any weight (stuck on 93.5) for 3 weeks but would like to lose a bit more before Christmas but have been making short bread stars to go into a prison and have another 40 to make for our kids' Christmas service. I wish I had a surgical mask for when I am baking. Apart from our usual aqua there is no time for exercise at the moment, maybe when the hoards arrive we will do more walking. Have a happy warm Christmas as we hope to. Regards

Brydie

Brydie - I heard a good tip the other day. When you are cooking delicious stuff you should not have - chew gum. Maybe that would help you resist that temptation.

Myself - I have decided not to bake Christmas goodies this year. I know lots of you have family and friends who expect certain foods from you at this time of year. Fortunately I never got into that role. We will be at our DS's house for Christmas and I will be taking food - but it will be the kind of food I can eat. I love to cook, but right now its going to be cooking for my needs and hoping everyone else enjoys it, too.

Denise - You changed your name:scared2: - What are you trying to do Confuse this old broadredface.gif - For me prior to being banded I was a total couch potato - I think exercise along with my healthy eating is what got me to goal within a year - I think that my body needed the exercise...

Yea, I did change my name. I exercised 6 days a week for 3 years before I got the band and never lost an ounce. It was the band restricting my portions that did the trick!

Thank You Joann, that is a good tip, unfortunately I love cooking fiddly sweet things and love giving them as gifts, which is the old me. As I grow more into my band life I may get the energy to sew or crochet things instead, we'll see. Thanks again and have a happy Christmas and try to stay warm.

Brydie

We have had a tough week at our house. Since early in the week, our little Abbie has been getting worse, suffering from the cancer that was discovered last month. We had hoped the disease would slow a bit, but Dr. Gary thought it had begun to attack her bones. She was obviously in pain, could not eat - in all she was a very sick little dog. We took her to see Dr. Gary yesterday and the news was so bad - we decided to let her go. I have been taking this really hard. We have been a sheltie family for many years (Abbie was our 4th sheltie) - they have raised our kids, played with our grandkids, been our loving companions and friends - and at this point the only kids left at home. It is very hard to lose this precious little friend. We do have Jack - 5th sheltie - who is now 2yrs old, and has been searching the house all day for his little buddy.

I am attaching a picture of Abbie taken two years ago. Its one of my favorites.

Joann

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I have Golden Retrievers and lost mine 2 years ago Christmas. We had the same thing happen - cancer and hoped for the best. We did get through Christmas but on January 3 I had to let her go too. It was the worst time for me she was just so precious to us. I couldn't let her suffer either. I understand how devastating it is. I vowed not to have another one it was so hard but after about a month the house was so quiet I started looking. I needed "energy" in the house - at least that is what I told my hubby. Well I have energy again and although I still miss her I have another great pet that I just love. I hope it gets better for you and your family as well. They are like our kids. I don't have any children of my own, just two grown step daughters but these guys are my kids. Take care and try and enjoy the holidays.

Sandi