Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Hi All - I've been around, just lurking for a change. Imagine me with nothing to say...

Today/tonight the cold has hit northern Missouri, too. Not the snow, thank goodness, but we'll have our first hard freeze tonight. By Wed the temps will be up in the 60's again for a few days, so I guess winter has not set in quite yet. Apples, I well remember the Minnesota winters. In these parts it freezes then thaws, freezes then thaws, a lot of ice but not much snow; seems like winter is just one long slush. We also don't have a lot of native evergreens in our woods. I miss that deep green color in the winter - woods around here are brown and gray and that gets a little old by January's end. By then we are anxiously awaiting the first redbuds. Our fall colors are still beautiful for another week or so - I am enjoying that.

I have 37 days to go as of tomorrow morning. Time is flying by. It's going to fly by anyway - I might as well have something to look forward to! :biggrin:

There you are, JoannMarie! Can't quite see you being a LURKER. I bet you cannot wait for your surgery date. Will be nice to get it all behind you, a couple months out and on your way!

Pretty flat where we live in MN. The winds whip across the plains pretty much every day. We can see for miles where we live. Looking forward to our time in FL this winter and out of the cold. The older I get the worse winters seem. I do like our the change of seasons we have though. It's going to be a very long fall for us since we have yet to start corn harvest. We will be combining in the snow.

I have been lurking the last couple of months while I ran around to all my appoints - had one Dr who went on vacation for 3 weeks and he was the last appoint I had to wait on for followup. (endocrinologist). Finally got that done. Now the only thing left is to lose 7 more pounds and stop smoking for 4 weeks to get a date. On my first week of no smoking; feels great since I wanted to do that anyway, but also tough because I still want to.....arghh.:biggrin: I'll get there !!

They are talking about snow near me tomorrow in the higher elevations depending on whether the rain affects the temps. Winter coming too soon!

There you are, JoannMarie! Can't quite see you being a LURKER. I bet you cannot wait for your surgery date. Will be nice to get it all behind you, a couple months out and on your way!

Pretty flat where we live in MN. The winds whip across the plains pretty much every day. We can see for miles where we live. Looking forward to our time in FL this winter and out of the cold. The older I get the worse winters seem. I do like our the change of seasons we have though. It's going to be a very long fall for us since we have yet to start corn harvest. We will be combining in the snow.

Apples, I really enjoy your notes. DH was a sales manager with a Minnesota seed corn company in the 70s and 80s. We lived in Danube, MN - little town of 500 or so Norwegian farmers - for a couple of years. We really did enjoy Danube and it's people. We lived facing west on the western-most street in town with nothing but prairie between us and South Dakota. We had just moved in when the first snowfall hit. We could walk on top of the windblown snow up and over our garage roof! The kids loved it! Their own personal sledding hill from the garage roof to the driveway below. It was packed in solid, too - it took major equipment to dig us out! We all have great memories of that nice little town. Thanks for the reminder of the corn harvest.

Where has everyone been? It sure has been quiet here! Usually it is over the weekend but it's still happening. I did realize I wasn't getting the email notifications of new posts like normal so that was part of it, but I didn't have much to read to catch up.

Things going well here. I usually go to my bariatric exercize class on Monday nights but am not going tonight. They are having a guest speaker, a dietician, and while I am sure she is good, that's not what I go there for so am saving my $15. But so far have not worked out on my own today. :biggrin:

Hi,

Phylsizer has started another thread. Maybe the regulars have gone there.

Hi Everyone,

Saw my GP for the results of my Cat Scan today. Not good news.

I have a large incisional hernia with the colon and stomach protruding through. I have to admit I had a bit of a cry. This is the fifth one.

I see my surgeon tomorrow but the GP reccommended it be repaired asap.

Best wishes. :biggrin:

Hey everyone!

I didn't know there was a 50's and older forum! I've had one fill and have hit a bit of a plateau, but the good thing is that my workouts are consistant and I am hanging in there to bust this plateau! Would love to hear from any other bansters of any age!

Rain and Cold!!!!

Well, if any one is watching the World Series, you know what my weather is. Philly was terrible last night and more of the same today.

My daughter was at the game and said it was brutal, rain, wind, cold. but she will be back tomight if they are able to get the game completion in. Me, I am watching from the comfort of my living room.

Frustrated with this plateau. no matter waht I try I am not losing...

Any suggestions to boost my system???

I'm bummed.

ALL my exams and evals and stuff are done.

I found out that I'm a tad "sicker" than I thought and even in more need of a band yet well enough to "survive" the surgery.

Endo. found a wee hernia.

Surgeon's office claims he doesn't "do" hernias.

PCP said it's only an itty bitty one.

Got my CRAP mask (intentional misspell) - because surgeon's office claims he won't perform surgery without the mask for the hospital stay.

Pulmonary technician says my setting of "4" is the lowest setting for the CPAP masks.

Cardiologist highly recommends Toprol (Beta-blocker) as a result of my 3-day series of tests (2-day stress, echo and MRIs)

I immediately googled and learned that a delightful side-effect is WEIGHT GAIN! - (that monstrous metabolism thing again.)

Also -

may also cause sleeplessness and/or disturbing dreams.

may also interact unfavorably with psychiatric meds

may also mask diabetic symptoms (hypoglycemia)

may also cause diarrhea (this one's OK - my hemorrhoids from hell will be relieved - literally!)

And

having said all this -

I still must satisfy the 6-mo diet requirement as my insurance company's weight-management program doesn't count.

although it may be factored in with my "official" dietitian/nutritionist program.

SO -

"If winter comes, can spring be far behind?"

And -

Here in the beautiful Northeast - 2-3 inches of the sloppiest snow against my stubborn roses with more to come overnight (snow that is - no more roses until the aforementioned spring!)

Any comments about beta-blockers and LBS? :biggrin:

Hello all you Lovely LB people! I have missed you!

Thanks Apples for missing me! :w00t: I have been reading the post, but just haven't had much time to post. :biggrin:

The college where I teach just finished our "accreditation" process and that is always just crazy. :blush: We finally finished that and then came our Fall break...:w00t:

Guess what I did! I painted another room in my house and my son-in-law is helping me re-do my guest bath. We even took out an old cast Iron tub! :cursing:Talk about exercise!!!!! I lost a few more lbs last week.:tt2:

Oh! Long2bthin! I rode my bike some too! About 6 mile trip on the Greenbelt! The weather here is still beautiful! In the 50s and 60s! It gets a little cool at night, but it is awfully dry! the leaves are at their peak and it is like a dreamland in the mountains!

I am about at my sweet spot and losing about 2 lbs a week. I am wearing my old size 14 petite clothes! I am slow, but steady!

It is great to see all the success on this site! It is very exciting!

Hope all you 50s are doing GREAT! Janet, Phyl, Lynnt, boch, Joann... Good to see all of you doing well!

Janet, I have you in my prayers!

I will keep in touch more! Promise!

Cathy, it's so good to hear from you! We've all been wondering...

My date is coming up on Dec 4th - and my surgeon recommended the Realize band - she says her over-65 patients are doing better with it. I had researched a lot and could not find much difference in the literature; I was having a hard time making the decision. I was glad to get the recommendation as it took the decision out of my hands. I trust this surgeon - obviously, or I would not be hopping up on that table. She and her partners do both bands and recommend both - but apparently she prefers the Realize for those of us of the senior persuasion (teehee). I'm glad to hear you are in the sweet spot neighborhood and losing a couple of pounds a week. That would be fine with me!

Glad you are back with us!

I've had more troubles getting this site to load today. finally seems to be letting me in. GRRRR It would keep timing out on me or something.

CathyChatts, good to see you!!

JoAnn, somewhere on here someone posted a great link to an article comparing the lap band to the realize band, but gosh dern I can't find it now. Also Obesity Help magazine this summer had a great article. The biggest difference I see is the way they are attached one is stitched (lap) and the other stapled (realize) and the realize has a continuous chamber for the saline and Lap has little pillow type chambers. if I had a choice not sure what I'd choose but I didn't so didn't have to worry about it. I have Lap.

Well I am having a bummer day. I emailed someone about something and they took my email totally wrong. I still don't see how it could've been so misunderstood but she got really upset. I apologized profusely but now am perturbed I did as I didnt' do anything wrong I don't think and it makes me mad that she assumed I said what she thought I said. :) Just reread that and it makes now sense, other than it's so frustrating. I'm trying to let it go as it's such a petty thing but it will be hard going forward with this person too if she can jump to those kind of conclusions.

Also feel like I am coming down with a cold. GRRRR And the scale was up 2 lbs today!! It doesn't count until Thurs. so hopefully it will be gone then. I hit 78 and am back at 76. Tomorrow will be a better day!!!

I've had more troubles getting this site to load today. finally seems to be letting me in. GRRRR It would keep timing out on me or something.

CathyChatts, good to see you!!

JoAnn, somewhere on here someone posted a great link to an article comparing the lap band to the realize band, but gosh dern I can't find it now. Also Obesity Help magazine this summer had a great article. The biggest difference I see is the way they are attached one is stitched (lap) and the other stapled (realize) and the realize has a continuous chamber for the saline and Lap has little pillow type chambers. if I had a choice not sure what I'd choose but I didn't so didn't have to worry about it. I have Lap.

Well I am having a bummer day. I emailed someone about something and they took my email totally wrong. I still don't see how it could've been so misunderstood but she got really upset. I apologized profusely but now am perturbed I did as I didnt' do anything wrong I don't think and it makes me mad that she assumed I said what she thought I said. :) Just reread that and it makes now sense, other than it's so frustrating. I'm trying to let it go as it's such a petty thing but it will be hard going forward with this person too if she can jump to those kind of conclusions.

Also feel like I am coming down with a cold. GRRRR And the scale was up 2 lbs today!! It doesn't count until Thurs. so hopefully it will be gone then. I hit 78 and am back at 76. Tomorrow will be a better day!!!

Long, don't beat yourself up over the email.....we have all done it. Once, I got into a discussion with my ex daughter in law on email and I did not realize she was sending it to all her family. Notice I said ex, well, we are close now, and I wish it had been that way when I sent the email.

I asked Dr. Davis about the Realize and he said he preferred the improved LAP-Band. I guess they all have their preference.

I have gained in the last week. It must be that I am stress eating. I am enjoying my grandbaby and daughter, but I don't have much down time. Oh well, gotta go change a diaper.

Apples, I really enjoy your notes. DH was a sales manager with a Minnesota seed corn company in the 70s and 80s. We lived in Danube, MN - little town of 500 or so Norwegian farmers - for a couple of years. We really did enjoy Danube and it's people. We lived facing west on the western-most street in town with nothing but prairie between us and South Dakota. We had just moved in when the first snowfall hit. We could walk on top of the windblown snow up and over our garage roof! The kids loved it! Their own personal sledding hill from the garage roof to the driveway below. It was packed in solid, too - it took major equipment to dig us out! We all have great memories of that nice little town. Thanks for the reminder of the corn harvest.

I will have to say that I have a lot of great memories of winters her in MN. It's just that the older I get, the longer the winters seem. You know what I am talking about. Gets cold mid Oct and does not warm up till at least April (sometimes May). I lived on my skates when I was younger. Lived across from a lake. Also had a sled hill in our yard. Spent hours outside building forts, etc. The cold never got to me then!

Maybe there will be a time when you can come visit and spend some time on the farm. You would be more than welcome!:)