Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OOH! A new forum!

Hey..."veteran" bandster of over 2 yrs here. Married, 46, Mom to 3 boys, stepmom to 2 more boys...MIL to 2 and grandawni to 2 girls. I am scheduled for panniculectomy on 2/20/08. Ins. is supposed to pay...I do have to come up with the deductible of $1000 tho. I can't afford the extra $1600 besides for navel relocation and some lipo...so I think I will just have a tattooed belly button...maybe tiny words that go around in a circle saying "if you can read this you are much to close" or something.

Hi Dawnita - the tatoo'd belly sounds too funny! You and I are the same height and starting weight. I can't imagine getting down to 130 - I have my goal set for 150 I figured I'd see how I feel there. How long did it take you to hit goal? I love having someone on here whos a vetern.

Steph...it took me about a year to get down to 150...and I plateaued there for about 4 mos...then I stepped up the exercise and took another 20 off. I have been between 130 - 140 for about 8 mos now. That last 20 IS definitely the hardest to get rid of...I gained some back when I had to have an unfill, but once I had a good fill level again, it came off pretty good. I had a slight prolapse so that is why I had to be unfilled for 4 weeks til it went back into position. I could never be without my band again...very hard to control portions and I was hungry again all the time. Now I can take a step back before I stuff my face at least.

Wendy,

I am waiting on insurance approval but I am going to Dr. Morton too. I haven't seen him yet but I have 3 more months of "dieting" to satisfy insurance co. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Do you like Dr. Morton?

Niecey

Steph...it took me about a year to get down to 150...and I plateaued there for about 4 mos...then I stepped up the exercise and took another 20 off. I have been between 130 - 140 for about 8 mos now. That last 20 IS definitely the hardest to get rid of...I gained some back when I had to have an unfill, but once I had a good fill level again, it came off pretty good. I had a slight prolapse so that is why I had to be unfilled for 4 weeks til it went back into position. I could never be without my band again...very hard to control portions and I was hungry again all the time. Now I can take a step back before I stuff my face at least.

What is a prolapse and how do you know it has happened? Is it the same as slippage? So many new medical things and bodily functions to think and learn about these days.

bandit

Hi fellow forties!

Jumping right in here..... I am Gina, 44 years young, wife of Tim and mommy to 2 very spirited soon to be 8 year olds. We live in northern Illinois (Aurora). I am a full time mommy and part time Rn. I was banded 3/17/07 at Loyola and have had a slooooow time losing. I love my band - I just hate to exercise and have learned the hard way that I dont care how much I hate it - it is a necessity. I can honestly say that this whole band experience has been a huge learning curve for me - as well as a lesson in patience. I am now ready to jump in full force and go for it. I know I am not going to hit my 100 pound loss goal by my anniversary and I am ok with it. I just want to get over this stupid hump I have been on since SEPTEMBER!!!! The scale has not really moved that much since early September.

Nice to meet everyone,

Gina

Wow..I like a place where we can go with others our age. My name is DeVy will be 48yrs this year. Married 27 yrs. to a very understanding hubby. 3 children: 18yr old son first year at college, 16 yr old daughter and 14 yr old son. Banded June 07 and I living in wonderful Minnesota...although I am second thinking that wonderful part since today its a -20 degrees out.....Can wait to hear from all of you on your experiences with your band....

Prolapse is a very minor slip...it is when part of the stomach slides up thru the band, causing the pouch to be enlarged. I had gotten food poisoning and was vomiting and that is what caused it. It can happen if you are too tight and pb often as well. I knew something wasn't right cause when I would eat or drink...it always felt like I was stuck...then if I laid down on my back...the liquids would gurgle thru really fast. I got unfilled for 4 weeks, then got refilled and have been fine since. It took 2 fills to get back up to a workable fill level. You can't just put back all that was in there, you have to work back up a little bit, unless you didn't have much to begin with. I was at 3.2 cc in a 4 cc band prior to this incident. Now, I am at 2.9 and tho I kind of feel like I need a small fill...it is not a good idea so close to my plastic surgery as then the swelling might make me too tight. I will wait til I am healed up after surgery and then go from there.

Wow, don't check in for a few days and we have grown!!

These last few days have been tough. I haven't been making the best band choices. I also haven't exercised since Thur night. Well, back on the "band wagon" first thing in tomorrow. I have the meals for tomorrow planned out and also wrote down when I will exercise. I find that having it in writing makes it easier. I also am on of those people who feel like they have done something it you can check it off a list.

Hello All,

I am 47, live in PA where it is cold right now(but not -20). I am a wife and mother of 4 2 I gave birth to and 2 I acquired by marriage. My grandson recently moved in with me so I feel like I am starting over. I like crafts. I quilt. I am loving the assistance I am getting from this band. Although I haven't lost anything recently, I am due for a fill next week. I joined a gym in July and have discovered that I like working out! Who'd of thunk it? Take care all!

Wendy,

I am waiting on insurance approval but I am going to Dr. Morton too. I haven't seen him yet but I have 3 more months of "dieting" to satisfy insurance co. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Do you like Dr. Morton?

Niecey

Niecey I love him. He's not the typical surgeon.

Very nice, very caring. He did my DH, DS and myself.

Dev - Where about in Minn? I was born and raised in the Grand Rapids area. Brrrrrr I remember the cold - my family all still live there. PA has some cold weather (we're in a cold snap now) but not like Mn!

Dawnita - I'm glad to hear you recovered so well from the prolapse. I'm always afraid I'll wait too long or not know I've slipped, but hearing your story makes me feel alittle more assured that I'll know something is wrong.

Nice to meet all you other Fancy Forty Ladies!

Today is Monday and I'm having the procedure on Friday. I'M TERRIFIED!!!!!! I've done terrible on my pre-op diet and I'm scared he'll try to do it and won't be able to get past my liver! As scared of everything as I am, I would be devastated if I woke up from surgery and found out he couldn't put the band in because of my liver.

To sum up--I'm so petrified it's giving me a headache, which I can't take anything for, which is making me upset, which is making my head hurt worse!

I would SO appreciate ANY words of encouragement you may have to offer.

Thanks so much...

Joyce

Hi Joyce,

Relax. Trust your surgeon and know that he will do what is in your best interest. Everything will probably be fine with your surgery on Friday. Do everything right between now and then. Now you must prepare yourself for what is to follow. It is natural to be nervous before any kind of procedure. Think good positive thoughts and we will think them for you also.

Try a cup of decafinated chamomile, green or mint tea to help relax and relieve your headache.

Val

Hi Joyce - I cheated on my pre-op diet and was sweating the same thing. Whats your bmi? Some people have fattier livers then other and I think that goes with the higher bmi. I started at 40. Do like Val said, try to be very careful between now and Friday and everything will be ok. Take care hon and keep us posted.