Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Perth people, where are you?

Miss P, I'm glad to hear your surgery went well!

Pop over to Lap Band Surgery - Lifestyle Message Boards there is heaps of information there (although Yahoo has just done something a little while ago and and only the first page of posts are showing, but there are over 90!) and yes it is really important that you stick to the diet and time frames as recommended by your Doctor. Your body is healing and it need time, if you push things to fast you do risk increasing your chances of complications down the track.

I have decided that the sleeve is the better choice for me, I have my appointment with the dietician tomorrow, but have no idea when the physicians appointment will be - someone else had to wait two months before they were even called for an appointment!

m2

hey everyone....im 22 and got banded by dr watson on wednesday. Its been three days now and i feel alot better. I am so glad i got it done by dr watson, as everyone else says, he is excellent, and murdoch hospital was lovely in my experience, the nurse's were great and the room i had was wonderful (i got a private room in the end even though i ticked "shared" on my form cause i knew it would be cheaper - but they only had a private room available and i enjoyed a bit of privacy)

Day 1 i was sleepy and so so sore

Day 2 a bit more awake and less sore

And now its the morning of day 3 and i feel alot less sore especially when sitting down or lying down but walking around i definately feel a pull in my stomach and i have to take it slow. Day one i only had Water, I couldnt get the broth down. Day 2 i had some broth and by dinner an Optifast shake and another one for supper - my body was definately craving *something* and I had no pain drinking the optifast infact i felt alot better after it. This morning i had about two tablespoons jelly. No pain or anything, felt much better after eating a bit.

I'm still a bit confused as to what im supposed to be drinking - i know clear fluids but hell, can i really live on broths only for a few weeks? Do you guys think it is ok to have optifast shakes and small amounts of jelly so soon after the op? When did the rest of you start on the mushed veggies etc?

Thanks everyone. I wish they could have sent me home with a list of do's and don'ts!

Miss P, check your paperwork again because Dr Watson certainly gave me a list of Do's and Don'ts, as well as some brochures from the lapband people, etc. If you can't find it, call the office and have them post the stuff out to you.

In the mean time, Dr Watson seems to be more liberal in his regime, that other doctors (as reported on this site). From what I've known, he believes a lot more in "listen to your body" than in imposing strict schedules for various food types. I had typed out and posted some information from the handouts he gave me and have copied it here:

""Stay on fluids until you start to feel hungry. Water, juices, yoghurt, thin Soup.< /p>

After a few days, these fluids will be less satisfying and you will want something more filling. Thicker Soups, jellies.< /p>

Make an appointment to see your GP at 5 days after surgery for removal of staples. After that time, you may need more substantial food to ease the hunger. Try very soft mushy scrambled eggs, mashed vegetables initially.

Gradually over the first 4 weeks after surgery, the hunger will increase such that by about a month when you come back to start having Fluid placed in the band, you will be eating an amount of food more than you had expected. Fish, chicken, Pasta.< /p>

Then, at one month, we start the process of placing fluid in the band, every month for three months, then less frequently for the next few months.

REMEMBER

In the first month, gradually increase the food and ensure you eat slowly. Avoid a situation of food getting stuck as vomiting, especially early, may tear some sutures around the band and increase the risk of SLIPPAGE and further surgery."

On my last fill, he reminded me that his advice was a little contradictory to most dieticians, ie, he recommends NOT eating to a schedule, DON'T try to force Breakfast if you don't want it, ONLY eat when you are sure you are hungry and stop as soon as the hunger is gone, don't try to achieve that old "full" feeling.

Good luck with everything!

I'm still a bit confused as to what im supposed to be drinking - i know clear fluids but hell, can i really live on broths only for a few weeks? Do you guys think it is ok to have Optifast shakes and small amounts of jelly so soon after the op? When did the rest of you start on the mushed veggies etc?

Hi Miss P,

Congrats!

I had Doc Watson too - he's just excellent.

If you are in any doubt, either email or phone his office. He has new reception staff of late, but they will take messages. I couldn't last on the clear fluids, and had sloppy weetbix and tubs of fruit puree after a few days - but this was with his ok. I had a really hassle free surgery and post op, so as we are all anatomically different as far as the intricacies, its best to check. I know some people who have been on fluids that long and longer - but it's not fun.

Good luck, and take it easy, mentally and physicaly over the next few weeks :biggrin:

I am also a patient of Dr watson and I was ok on fluids until about day 6. Day 7 I had mushy scrambled eggs (heaven).

I am almost a month post op and I am pretty much eating most things, I havnt tried red meat or bread yet but Im not really missing it at all. I have lots of vegies and chicken.

I couldnt be happier with the surgery and the results I am already seeing. I am exercising every day and love it and I suddenly realized tonight that I was sitting comfortably with my legs crossed and I have not done that for a few years now, it seems like small thing but every change is a huge milestone to me.:biggrin:

I did end up finding some info doctor watson gave me, i totally forgot about it because he gave it to me on my initial consultation which was 6 weeks ago.

anyway, i havent done anything i shouldnt, today I had some thin potato and leek Soup, optifast,very small amount of weight watchers custard. tomorrow i will try a yoghurt - actually really looking forward to it!

i was surprised to not have stitches - i had never even heard of this miracle wound glue, but I think it;s just fab - anyone else? If you havent heard of it, Instead of stitching you up there is this layer of plastic looking clear glue over the incisions and it falls off by itself after about 5 days!! amazing. Maybe im living under a rock:tongue2:

I am enjoying being able to sleep a bit more on my sides - my back has been so numb these few days as i never sleep on my back. its also nice being able to breathe in more and more each day, as the first three days it was too painful to take deep breaths. Oh the joy of appreciating the little things we take for granted:P

geez i have to say, the painkillers he gave me, i think its called endone, theyre strong! I took 2 of them on day 2 and i was out of it lol. Like I was a bit stoned. I now only take 1 at a time 2 is wayyy too strong. the panadol definately helps aswell.

I cant wait to feel no pain so I can start with excercising. I would like to do yoga,swimming and powerwalking on the beach. Yay for new lifestyle:P

LOL! Yes, that Endone is strong stuff!! I only took 1 once on Day 2 and spent most of that day sleeping (although that could have been the aftereffects of the anaesthetic). I have the box stashed away with a mental note of "emergency use only!" Luckily, I had a pretty easy recovery and got by quite easily on a couple of the soluble panadol for the first few days.

Hiya, I was banded by Dr Watson too. I had jelly the day after the op and Optifast a couple days later (usually for breakfast). As far as I know you can basically have anything that can go up a straw, so any kind of Soup is ok (without chunky bits in it). I started on mushies after 2 weeks but to be honest, have been eating just about anything just making sure I chew into paste before swallowing.

Good luck!

Hello Perth here

I am due a new band 12th May. I got my band June last year and lost 47 kilo in 6.5 months then I had some over fill probs. After 3 visits to ED Joondalup I was still suffering tightness when I got a bout of gastro.My surgeon was on and came to see me in ED sent me for Pictures and took me to theater and removed it. Boo Hoo apparently true to form I stacked the weight back on but have stabilized now the best news was at my post op appointment when he said he would replace it. I am still looking for a group of second time bands to talk with as I have a few queries.

Its actually good because when people about to be done ask me about the band I can say after all I went through ,the benefits are so good I cannot wait to get my new one.:lol:

It would be good if we had a chat site in Australia as good as the one on here.

PS would some one please tell me how i get my ticker to appear

Ray

PPs anyone here ben to Bali after band:wub:

PS would some one please tell me how i get my ticker to appear

Ray

PPs anyone here ben to Bali after band:wub:

Hi Ray

Hope all goes well with your second lap band.

I was in Phuket for a week last month, I had no problems eating the local food or travelling around...if that is what you are wondering.

Mel

thank you Fanny and MSS as you will see Fanny i was able to read the instructions. MSS I have booked 2 weeks in Bali JUNE for our wedding anniversary 30 years boy thats twice what you get for murder.It is only 4 weeks after i get my band but as its my second and the first was only last June I think I can handle it

Ray:tt2:

gday banders...

yes its me i havent been online for ages....

i got banded 23rd jan 2008 i went into surgery weighing 103kgs!!

coming up now to 15 weeks, and only 3 fills im down to 90kgs!!!

wow it feels soooo good to see it coming off. i actually bought myself a pair of size 14 jeans in big W and they fit lovely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

omg i cannot believe the change in myself. i would get banded all over again. my op was a breeze and dr. watson is a great doc, so good luck to everyone out there and believe me the change is unreal and u too will be feeling you wished u did it earlier too.

woooo hoo bring on the 80's !!!

good luck everyone