Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie: Pro & Cons to LB vs GBS Needed

Hello everyone.

I was referred to a Bariatric surgeon for Lap Band surgery and/or GBS. I go to the seminar this Tuesday. But I wanted to know what are the cons and pros from people who may have had it already. I think I want the GBP, although I have to admit I'm scared.

I have several questions also, I'm currently about 85lbs overweight, my BMI is 34. But I have Graves disease, PCOS and fibromyalgia. I'm concerned about whether I should be still trying to lose weight in the meantime, or forego trying until I get approved by insurancel, or whether I should try to gain 15lbs just to be 100 lbs overweight. I have BCBS of Alabama and BCBS of New Jersey. I was told by both insurance companies that I should qualify but, I know insurance companies and one rep doesn't make my approval.

I've had 2 years of consecutive medical supervision in dieting, documented by three doctors. I've lost and gained and lost and gained. It's just difficult with Graves disease.

I've been trying to lose weight for atleast 8 years now.

I'm more inclined to the GBS because it's more restrictive. I prefer the rigidness of dieting as oppose LB and knowing I can go overboard without more severe consequences. If that's makes sense.

Any thoughts would be so helpful. Thanks so much.

Hi Lalah,

I'm so glad I live in Australia! Insurance companies here are much easier.

I decided to go with the LB, as it is reversible, adjustable, has a relatively quick recovery phase and doesn't have the side effects associated with malabsorption. I can always go back and have GBS later on if LB doesn't work very well (although on this site, there are amazing success stories). I guess at the end of the day, your surgeon will recommend what they think is the best solution to your problem.

Hope this helps you and hope that whatever you choose to do is successful.

Cheers,

Jen

I chose mine for the sames reasons as Stareyez, and cuz I didn't want to look like a bobble head doll. Example: Star Jones (GBS) vs. Khaliah Ali (Lapband). Of course it helps having mega $$ for plastic surgery, cuz Star gotta lotta that done. I on the other hand don't so I though with lapband I'd loose it slow enough to give my body and skin a chance to try and catch up. It is no garuntee that I won't need PS, but with GBS you tend to loose it mega fast.

It depends on how much you're willing to work at it. The lap-band will give you the same success as a bypass (in more time) but will require a heck of a lot more effort.

I've lost more weight with my band than my aunt did with her bypass. It works, if you work it.

Hi there~

I had BCBS of Alabama and was denied 3 seperate times...even with co-morbities. :)

I finally had had it with my weight, and decided to self pay for the lap band. I was banded on 12/12, down 25 pounds and have also gone from a 20/22W pants size to a REGULAR 18 today!!! :clap2:

I felt more confident with the band, in case anything would ever happen, it is reversible.

Good luck in your decision.

Brandy

With bypass you will typically lose more weight faster. There are serious side effects with bypass if you eat the wrong thing (i.e. dumping with too much sugar - food, alcholol, etc).

think about when & why you eat. With lap band you have to work more at it to lose weight. Bypass, you almost can't help but lose weight.

Either will help reduce hunger - but you have to watch your eating from boredom or other non-hunger related issues.

The main reason I went with lap-band was that it would still be there as a tool for me when I got to my goal weight. I've seen too many people regain their weight after bypass because they didn't change their eating habits. The stomach pouch does and will stretch. With lap-band it's there helping you along even when you get to your goal.

There are times when I think it would be easier with bypass. But then again, I'm about 3 months out and not yet at that 'sweet spot' with my fills so I don't have good restriction yet.

Really you need to examine when, why and what you eat and then match up the pros/cons with each surgery to see which one will be right for you.

I am not banded and don't know if I will yet. I have graves - rai in 04 and pcos as well so I can relate to weight due to health reasons. Just wanted you to know there are others here reading and searching with the same issues you have.