Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

cost of removal - selfpay in georgia

Hey all...

I wanted get a gauge of the cost of getting the band removed. I live in the Atlanta area and need to get the band removed due to complications with the port (twice). Just curious about peoples experiences with getting band removed as self-pay.

I would really appreciate any surgeon advice or recomendations as well.

Thanks!

Allison

Nosilla,

you probably should contact the surgeon who place the band and see if he can do a revision on your port, I have heard of some bandsters who only had to fix the port. Why are you having it removed?

good luck

hello ....

the short answer to why the removal of the band is due to constant and costly port problems. After my inital surgery in 06 everything was great. I had my first fill... the the port had flipped.

At that time I had a revision surgery to correct the issue. That was over a year ago. Essentially the wound has never healed due to constant "weeping" or a seroma. That aside, I did go in for a fill after the revision, and the port was 100% flipped again.

When researching the band my feelings were that I can try and control some of the negatives, the pbing, sliming, and possibly slipping by following the rules. What I havent been able to control is the fact that that my port and my body do not seem to have reached the same agreement that the rest of me has with the the band :(

My surgeon on Friday of this past week gave me the option of removing, then putting a new port in somewhere else or taking it all out do the RNY. He has not yet entertained the idea of getting it all out.

I cant make the decision within the next 2 weeks of having the RNY or any other surgical revision at this point, i just need my body to be back to "normal" with no incision that has been open and not healed for well over a year.

I'm sure my surgeon is great for 99% of his patients ... I just think i am that 1% that hasnt had the best luck.

allison

Allison-

I have had a lot of problems with my band since I got it in March of 07. I am in Atlanta and having a tough time deciding to take it out or keep it. I'm like you, I just want to feel good again and not have keep going through all the poking and proding. I've had so many tests/procedures and now have a food phobia. I'm scared to eat anything that might get stuck....which is a lot of healthy foods. I just don't know what to do. I was self pay like you and hate to throw my money away, but I want to feel good again. Like you, my doctor is really good, but I'm in the 1% that this just hasn't worked for. I have lost 30lbs, but since having revision surgery in October, haven't lost anymore. My thoughts are that if I don't lose some more weight soon, then why do have the band?

Most of the surgeons I've contacted about removal have also known that I want to be revised to a VSG. Some will do it for free with the VSG, some charge $1000 more. One surgeon in Marietta (Dr. Smith?) refused to remove my Band if he revised me. He doesn't take them out. Another, Dr. Rutledge of MGB fame, says he removes the Band, but not the port as it's too much trouble to remove. :)

I made the mistake in getting my band in Mexico, while Doctors here will fill and unfill me (a horribly painful thing) constant stomach aches, constant port pain, no one will agree to touch me for removal in North Dakota.

I am willing to travel, anywhere, I want to feel normal again, I can't even tell anymore whether or not Im full or hungry, my port hurts, and when I drink cold Water too fast I get sharp pains in my shoulder and side.

I'm miserable,

If anyone could give me the name of the doctor that took theirs out it would be a blessing to me!

As I wrote to you in another thread you started, anyone will remove a band. Just call some bariatric surgeons and get prices.

What does having the band in Mexico have to do with anything? Port discomfort happens with all of us. Fills should not hurt and shoulder pain sounds like referred pain that is common.

It makes no sense to me that your doctor will fill and unfill you but not do surgery on you.

Oh my gosh !!!!! I am feeling nauseas and pain on my tommy and also on my shoulder exctly like you, but scare to go back to the doctor. Now after hear from you I guess I have to go because something can be wrong here. Oh I am so scare. I will let you know what happen.Please let me kow what hapened to you, Thank you Marcia

It's not about the doctor's in Mexico, they are fantastic.

Its the doctors attitudes in my AREA, they seem to think that removing a bend from mexico is a huge no no.

Why? I'm not sure, they will fill me so none of their attitude on the removal makes sense.

It's not about the doctor's in Mexico, they are fantastic.

Its the doctors attitudes in my AREA, they seem to think that removing a bend from mexico is a huge no no.

Why? I'm not sure, they will fill me so none of their attitude on the removal makes sense.

Contact Dr. Ponce in Dalton... about an hour north of Atlanta. He was one of the FDA trial docs and way back in 2001 was one of the few surgeons in the US willing to work with Mexican Bandsters. Dr. Rumbaut recommended him to me. (Of course, he charged $600 for a fill.) Still, no doubt he would help you.