Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok its long but i need help. I am on my Optifast diet this is day three and i cheated on day two. How do i keep from getting hungry so i will not cheat. That I want to do the diet and not cheat but im afraid the hunger is going to get the best of me. Im trying mind over matter but its not helping much. I wouldn't mind the liquid part thats fine its just that im not getting full and i just drank like 40 oz of Water and thats not helping either. So if anyone has a suggestion it would be very helpful thanks :rolleyes

I'd say increase your Protein. It's better than cheating and eating a bunch of carbs. It gets better after a few days, but I have felt somewhat hungry virtually the entire time. You just have to stay on top of it and avoid getting to the point where you're ravenous and lose control. Hang in there and remember lots of others are going through the same thing. You are not alone!

Gillian, you would have to go back and refer to the post-surgery diet given you by your doctor.

My doctor has me on 6 sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast drinks with added Protein powder. In addition I can have chicken broth, sugar free ice pops, sugar free hard candy (NO CHOCOLATE), hot tea, sugar free hot chocolate with added Protein, sugar free drinks such as lemonade and Fruit Drinks, iced tea, and sugar free Italian Ice.

I am eating something every two hours and I keep a drink at hand all of the time.

I am feeling great and not experiencing any hunger.

If you are not certain about what you can have call your doctor and ask.

Keep your goal in front of you and you won't want to cheat.

Hugs and best wishes,

~~ D ~~

Gilliebean, hi!

I found that I felt hungrier as the days go by - I am now on Day 11. I had to make some adjustments to how & when I consume food & drink etc and discovered that by spreading out the Optifast, the salads/green vegies that we are allowed, the jelly and the small amount of fruit we can have, in addition to drinking mucho Water and several cups of jasmine flavored green tea that I can not feel so badly hungry but I have now found myself obsessing about food - even dreamed yesterday that I ate so much chocolate and cashew nuts that the doctor refused to operate!!

I also make sure that I drink a large amount of Water just before and after I have eaten anything. I am not usually a soft drink or cordial person, but just to give myself some variety I went and got some diet coke and diet flavoured cordial drinks too.

Oh and in the evening, I make my salad or vegie concoction - copious amounts as my dietitian said eat enough to fill you, then have some of the jelly or my fruit and I only make up the last Optifast milk shake to sip at in bed while I read a chapter of my book, and that way I am not waking up really hungry in the night.

This seems to have worked for me so I hope it is of some help to you.:nervous

You other guys that are on Optifast can eat other things besides the optifast. I was told i could only have four shakes and One Bar a day that equals about 800 calories. It really stinks I am miserable and im crying.. Its like I told my husband its like putting a crack head in a crack house and telling them not to touch. It really stinks Ok im done ranting I think sorry.:cry

Hi---I'm on day 5 and can have 4 shakes and 2 bars of the Optifast. You can also have sugar free drinks, Jello, popsicles too, right? Today I woke up starving and it is starting to feel like a LONG haul to the 15th. This probably sounds lame, but it does help if you can get out and do something, or even if you knit, etc. I admit to a cheat, and that is some 1/2 and 1/2 in a big cup of tea--the warm liquid is very filling to me. hang in there--you are losing weight now and it will feel great to have that extra loss to start off with.

Carol

They didnt tell me i could have anything else besides the two Soups, two shakes and One Bar. I know i can do it, its just a pain in the butt. I wouldn't be bothered if i couldn't feel my hunger hinse why i need surgery lol. I had a major break down earlier but i got threw it and didn't cheat. I feel like a dope cause i haven't read about anyone else having break downs you know. Well i guess if someone else is having them and just not owning up atleast they will know they are not alone. I hope this is making since.

Trust me you are not the only one that has had a breakdown. I'm not on Optifast but I'm on Atkins and I feel like I can barely do it. It is so frustrating because I really want to be strong and go through this with no problems. I know the band is just a tool for weight loss and I feel that if I can't even do this then what am I doing getting the band. I hope everything gets better!

Gillian - I'm on the Opti Fast too. My surgery is tomorrow. It will get better I promise. The first four days were hell for me, but now I'm fine. I mix the Protein Shakes with skim milk (instead of water) and add ice to make it like a milk shake. Honestly it isn't bad. Hang in there sister!!!

My Dr also does a low carb diet. I have started a week early so I can check with the dietitian that I am doing everything right.

Gillian,

I am on day 7 of the shakes, surgery is on the 16th. The first 3 days was the hardest, it gets easier sister!!! I found that I just had to get out of the house and away from the fridge. I put my shakes on the top two shelves of the fridge so when I would stop by, just to browse, I would see them and remember what I was doing. I have really become aware the last week how much I graze in the kitchen, like when I get up to use the restroom, I graze, when I answer the phone, when the dogs bark, on commercial breaks, or just being bored. I fooled myself into thinking I didn't eat that much, I don't have large portions for meals but it is all the in-between that has added up. Hang in there, you'll do fine, the shakes are only temporary, we will get through this, just stay busy and keep your goals in mind, best wishes, Pike

Days 5-7 were rough for me, but I was allowed to have broth, and veggies, in addition to the Protein shakes, ice pops and Jello. That broke things up.

I cannot say enough about the high Protein, 45g, 0g fat, 300 calorie smoothies I had from local smoothie place here. I am surey they are all over the place, smoothie King. My nutritionist allowed me one a day. It held my hunger for almost 6 hours.

I would contact the nutritionist, sometimes the doctors don't get too involved in diet.