Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

waking up after surgery

Well, to be honest, ....................

WARNING, TMI

I woke up with "ROBERTA, YOUR SURGERY IS OVER" and a nurse sticking a suppository up my you-know-what!!! (hey! exit only!!).

I don't recover well from anesthetic. I've been under the knife about seven times and I guess this is just the way my body handles the medication.

I was very much out of it. I didn't have a "fun" stoned feeling, you know, "wow man, I feel goooooooodddd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" (god it's been YEARS since I felt like that! HA HAAA). First thing I felt was the pain around my sternum from where the port was placed. Soon after my chest started hurting...intense pressure and pain under my ribcage......it hurt to breathe .. they sat me up which helped a bit, but it didn't go away so they gave me some percocet (spelling??). It was quite painful until after the meds

kicked in. The chest pain was really something. The port incision felt very raw.

The narcotics made me breathe really shallow so I was in and out of consciousness and remember telling myself to not forget to breathe.

I would say it took a good four hours post-op for me to be able to stand up on my own. The chest pains were reduced by about 50% by sitting and standing up.

Then of course that night I got all hyper, just like my anesthesiologist warned me (something about the mixture of the anesthetic and another med they give to patients before they go under causes hyperactivity). Felt great, no pain.

HTH

I remember scooting my butt onto the operating table and absolutely nothing after that until I was in my bed in my own room with a nurse standing over me and my husband looking bored. I was very groggy and had some minor incision pain (nowhere near as bad as my hysterectomy incision was). Asked for paid meds and was given a shot of morphine, which made me groggier. When I got up to use the toilet, a nurse gave me a pillow to hold against my belly which helped a lot. Moving around in bed was awkward because of the incision discomfort and stupid IV but they gave me pain meds whenever I asked for them. I had to stay in the hospital overnight (SOP for my surgeon). I dozed and chewed on ice chips all night long. The next morning I felt much perkier. They took me to X-Ray, watched me swallow barium (yuck), brought me back to me room and gave me a popsicle to eat. It made me vomit (I think I ate it too fast) so they gave me nausea meds. Then I had to wait until 5:30 pm for my surgeon's PA to come over to the hospital and discharge me. My husband and I were so bored and restless by then that we didn't wait for Transport to bring me a wheelchair...just walked out of the hospital and drove straight to the nearest pharmacy to fill my pain and nausea RX's. For the 1 hr + 15 min. drive home, I lay in the back seat of the car with the pillow pressed against my belly. At home, I took a pain pill, went straight to bed, and slept well. Woke up next morning feeling good, if a little sore. I only took the pain meds for 2 more days. I had some gas pain in my shoulder for about 3 weeks but it was manageable (and again, nothing compared to the gas pain I had with my hysterectomy).

Jean

weight.png

I wonder why the surgeons don't "deflate" us somehow before they close us up? I wonder if there is a medical person on the board that could answer this. hmmmmmm....

I woke up moaning. :wink: I'm sure that's what you want to hear. It wasn't necessarily a "Mack truck" feeling. The top of my stomach just hurt immensely. Felt like somebody had stabbed me there. Haha...guess they had! Anyway...no tubes anywhere. My IV was already out, even (I actually don't mean the needle, I mean the bag was disconnected). I was just lying in the hospital bed moaning. They gave me some pain meds through the IV needle and I think they took it out a short time later once I showed I was able to down pain pills orally.

I knew exactly where I was, no confusion. It didn't feel like waking up from normal sleep, at all. No surprises, really. I honestly believe when you're under anesthesia that you still have more awareness than you do when you sleep regularly.

What a variation in stories. Since all people are different, and the practices of each physician/facility is different-I just don't know that you're going to know what to expect until you're going through it. If you are a control freak you will at least want to know if they will give you a catheter or not, if there policy is to keep you over night or if they consider a day surgery, etc.

I had my surgery last Thursday, Jan. 3rd. The only person that I personally knew who had lap band was a year before mine, and was done by a different physician. I figured that if it went that well for her then I would do at least that well.

My friends experience (from my point of view): Her check in time (not the time the surgery started) was 10:30 am, and she was home before 3:00 that afternoon (she lives nearly an hour from the surgery center). She called me on her way home and she sounded so good that I was just floored. She healed well, and the only pain she ever described was from her bra rubbing on one of the incisions, and said that the incision for the port was very sore for a long time. She described a feeling of being hit by a bus the day following surgery.

My experience was totally opposite of her. I have the most vague memory of coming out of the OR and throwing up. Going into the recovery area and thinking OMG!!!! I cannot believe how bad this hurts! The surface of my belly felt like it had been burned all over, and I was VERY aware that there was something wrapped around my stomach (my actual stomach) and it HURT! According to the friend I had with me, the surgery ended just after 11:00, but the first time I remember looking at the clock was in my room at about 1:00-I was quite surprised by how much time had gone by.

I did not have any tubes in me, and was not connected to IV fluids when I woke up. I had the heating blanket on and the same stockings/huggers that others have mentioned. No catheter for me. I was in pain and slightly nauseated and was very afraid that they were going to try to get me to leave because I did not want to do anything but lay in that bed (I have to say I was totally horrified by the post that said when she came out of anesthesia she remembers hearing them say to bring the car around). I was very hot, but found this comforting for a while. And I was thirstier then I ever remember being in my life-which lasted for about 2 days after surgery.

Somewhere in there they gave me pain meds, I have no memory of being given anti-nausea meds and I started to feel better. But my surgery ended just after 11am and I think it was about 4:00-5:00 that evening that I got out of the bed for the first time. Walked around with the nurse. Still hoping that I didn't have to leave. Got my fluids down. Went pee. Was discharged at 6:30 which I thought was perfect.

I have been shocked by how quickly I have recovered since that first day... after the initial time in the hospital I have not had that hit by a bus feeling that my friend described on her second day.

If I was recommending this surgery to someone I would tell them to plan for no less then a week off work. Yes, you could probably go back sooner, but you won't feel too great.

Good luck to you!!!

Hi there...I just had my surgery (less than 24 hrs ago) and I'm doing great! When you wake-up you'll be groggy, but not in too much pain. In fact I've had no pain medicine so far and I've been up walking around. You'll be uncomfortable, but you'll be just fine. Give it about a day and you'll feel like your old self (just with a sore tummy). Good Luck!

I woke up really groggy. And went to swallow, noticed my mouth was bone dry and I had a tube down my nose which made it uncomfortable. Then a nurse pulled the tube out and I drifted between slumber and awake. I was then moved to the ward where the oxygen mask was replaced by an oxygen tube that sits in the entrance of your nose. I didn't feel much pain. Though it took me quite a while to have the sedative wear off. Long enough that I ended up not getting up till quite a lot later that night. However I did get up once to pee. But that was ok.

Although, I did have pain in my shoulder tip. Which I was warned of, however it wasn't quite what I expected in degree wise. However, chest pain and ribcage pain was not nearly as bad as my shoulder pain.

They really do "deflate" you before they stop, there is just some gas that gets trapped places that they can't get too. When I had another surgery, as I have not been banded yet, I thought the gas was the worst part. I guess it is like trying to squeeze all the air out of a zip lock baggie. You can never get it all.

I had mine done at a same-day surgery center. I woke up to the nurse calling my name. My throat was really dry and sore, but I only had an IV in my hand, no tubes or monitors or anything. It took me about a half hour (I think, but really, I have no idea) to be able to keep my eyes open, I was pretty groggy.

After that, my husband helped me get dressed, the surgeon stopped by to say everything went great, and I was out the door.

Surgery started at 7 am and I was home by noon.

I had a great experience. Checked in at 7am and was home by 1pm (I live 20 minutes from the hospital).

Both the catheter & breathing tube were put in and taken out while I was asleep. I never even knew they were there.

10 minutes after I woke up, I was up & walking to the bathroom. I did not need them to give me additional pain meds. There was anti-nausea drugs in my IV. Painwise, it just really felt as if I did too many sit-ups.

About an hour before I left, I had to sip a small amount of Water to see if it stayed down & it did.

The hospital staff, my doctor & PA were absolutely wonderful. They gave me a pillow for my stomach & autographed it with quotes of encouragement.

I have had a total of 7 surgeries in my life, including one that was 4 weeks prior to my WLS. I would have to say that this was the best experience that I had out of all 7.

I was banded on 1/8/08. Love my doc and left same day...no problems. Day two and forward were rough. Gas pains, pain with drinking (anything)...awful. Dry heaves, vomiting, etc. Was back in hospital next day for rehydration. Today, still taking it one step at a time but am getting there. Get on gasX for trapped gas and ask for suppositories of anti neasua meds and Constipation med if needed. Once I was able to release some gas it helped. I would still do it again, but I would recommend that you plan to be on the mend for at least one to two weeks. Walking and mild exercise are important too. It helps with you body and mind. Good luck to all.

Hi Pizzaman

I was curious how your surgery went and how you felt about having a "foreign body" in you upon waking.

Hope all is well!

I'd like to thank all you guys for sharing your stories.

I have surgery tomorrow and even though I've had surgery before (injury related), I'm still a bit apprehensive. It's more about waking up with a foreign body in me (the band) than a fear of the surgery itself.

Best of luck to all of you in your Quest for a thinner you!

I do not even remember leaving the hospital. I remember a couple things the nurse said to me while I was laying on the bed, but was so sleepy I just could not wake all the way up.

I am suprised they let me go home. I must have been sleeping with my eyes open! I do not remember the drive home which is almost an hour. I had surgery done early am and did not wake up until 5 pm. Crazy huh? I would rather be asleep then in pain!