Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Advice!

Hello from Virginia,

I am in the process of getting banded. My doctor says most likely in

March since I have to lose to get my BMI down to 50. I'm ashamed to admit the band wasn't my first choice. I am a male breast cancer survivor two years out of chemotherapy and almost three since my diagnosis in April 2005.

The surgeon that is doing my lap band also did my cancer surgery so he knows me inside and out. He didn't feel comfortable doing the gastric bypass on me because if my cancer came back it would interfere with my nutrition. That's when he suggested the band as a better choice.

That brings you guys up to date. My wife is an RN and was against the by pass but supports the lap band. I am slowly becoming convinced that this may be a good solution for me after all.

My problem is I have about 30 lbs to lose before my insurance will pay for the surgery. I am worried that I can't make it. If I could lose weight like that I probably wouldn't need the surgery.

I do fine on my diet until night time. I do exercise at night. Could that be stimulating my hunger? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Every person I know who dieted, gained it back with extras. Your body thinks you are starving when you diet so it stores fat with less calories each time. The nice thing is if (when) you loose the 30, it will stay off. The Lap Band has a fast recovery (Im on day 3 after my surgery and dont hurt very much at all), completely reversable (you can simply delfate it in emergencies), it has the same success rate as bypass in 1-2 years, and has far less complications from what I can tell.

Good luck on your journy and congrats on your success against cancer.

Every person I know who dieted, gained it back with extras. Your body thinks you are starving when you diet so it stores fat with less calories each time. The nice thing is if (when) you loose the 30, it will stay off. The Lap Band has a fast recovery (Im on day 3 after my surgery and dont hurt very much at all), completely reversable (you can simply delfate it in emergencies), it has the same success rate as bypass in 1-2 years, and has far less complications from what I can tell.

Good luck on your journy and congrats on your success against cancer.

That theory has kinda been proven wrong. Other issues are being demonstrated on a daily basis.

We have an eating disorder. If what you are saying is true, the band wouldn't work either. Some of the newer ideas are regarding the nerve in your stomach, it might just be faulty.

There are electrical brain differences in us vs. normal size people. There is a difference in the gut bacteria in a fat person vs. a naturally thin person. There are tons of differences. The issue that needs to be better understood is why those differences are as they are.

As to the OP, the best thing IMHO if your doc is okay with it is a modified Atkins diet. Don't really worry much about calories, focus on low fat, low carb, adequate Protein. That will kill stomach hunger but you are going to deal with head hunger. You are going to have to stop and consider each time you open the frig, is your stomach hungry or is that food calling your name?

Avoid ALL sugar, keep carbs below 35 daily and that will kill 99% of your stomach hunger. Head hunger, there really isn't anythiing for that. Just hang in there, keep your eye on the prize, and call your doc if you simply can't do it.

If he won't band you and you honestly can't lose the 30 pounds then find another doctor. Plenty of docs are able to band someone with a BMI of 50+.

Good luck to you!

Thanks for all the advice!

When I was diagnosed with Type ll Diabetes in October 2004 I began avoiding carbs like the plauge. Between October 2004 through April 2005, when I was diagnosed with cancer, I lost 80 pounds.

But the reason I have to drop my weight down to from 400 to 370 is to lower my BMI to where my insurance will pay for it. Ironically, Anthem will pay for the much riskier bypass surgery now! Go figure!!

Hi Junebug, lapband is a wise decision. If you want to lose 30 lbs I would eat 60 grams of Protein a day and eat no more than 1200 calories. Bandsters typically bring in 800-1k calories a day. If you are hungry at night, eat some more protein. Protein is the most important thing in ones diet. Good luck and hope you have success with your band.

When I was going thru the approval process, one of the things that I did was join Weight Watchers. I found it to be very helpful in that I could still choose to eat what I wanted (including low carb), but I had to be accountable for it by counting the points (I chose the flex points option). Going to the meetings helped me to be accountable (you can go to more than 1 meeting a week if you want but can only weigh in officially once a week).

I am also an evening eater, and I found the flex points gave me the ability to still snack at night - I found low point options like hot air popcorn and turkey pepperoni that satisfied my need to eat. I have seen several men at the meetings and they tend to have phenominal weight loss.

What also worked for me was the replacement obsession of finding low point options (I had to fill the time I would use to eat with something healthier :confused:). I never knew it before, but I can actually enjoy vegetarian options!!!

I was banded on September 25. I am not currently going to meetings, but I am trying to be accountable for what I eat by counting points and documenting everything I eat. I have lost weight by going the Atkins route in the past, but I found as soon as I introduced any carbs, I gained the weight right back. I like weight watchers because it gave me more realistic life time choices (I know I am not capable of giving up all carbs forever).

Good luck with whatever you decide!

jjsmiles, out of curiousity how many points a day do you eat. I eat 27 per their plan and I am up .5 lbs this week. I was told by a fellower bandster that is is roughly 1500 calories. That being said, I need t

You can do it. High Protein...lots of veggies...complex carbs (whole grains--not refined like white bread) and tons of Water. I was well over a 50 BMI at surgery and it was no problem for my surgeon, but rules are rules and if that's what you're stuck with then unfortunately you'll have to get there before you can be banded. It stinks for you though.

I exercise at night too (gotta work all day). I do think you are probably hungry at night because of that but keep exercising and then drink a Protein shake following your exercise. The Protein is good post-workout anyway plus it will help your hunger at the same time. That's my advice!

Another idea is to drink more water/flavored etc when you fill the hunger. You will drink more once you are banded also. This is just a thought to help you get through this.

Chris

Hi Julie

By my calculations, a ww point is approximately 50 calories (or less if it is high fibre). According to my weight, I should be able to eat about 30 points per day. I try to stay under 25 (about 1200 or 1250 calories). I find that I am a bit stalled right now when it comes to weight loss, but I am not sure that this isn't due to the Christmas baking and the New Year's feasting :embarassed: finally catching up to me.

I find that the points help to keep me on track, especially as I am not really feeling restricted with 6 cc's in my 10 cc band. If I wasn't really careful about documenting and keeping track, I am sure that my night eating (mindless eating) would reoccur.