Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Medical ID and Restaurant cards

sure okay I get.... I just never heard of it before this board.

I think some people are confused about the tubes--an NG tube goes down the esophogus into the stomach. It is used to put stuff in or take stuff out of the stomach. It is not an emergency proceedure that would be done on an accident site. An ET tube is the emergency proceedure and goes into the trachea and is used to put oxygen into the lungs if you are not breathing! If you aren't breathing-it's not really going to matter whether you have a band. It is put in with a laryngascope and is put right between the vocal cords. It won't get oxygen in your lungs if it is put in your esophogus--thats WHY they use a scope.

If I am not breathing--someone PLEASE do whatever necessary to save my life!!

I dont think it really matters too much in an emergency situation other than if they X ray you its a good idea to show that you have an object in your body that SHOULD be there. Personally to me that is why i got it .

More so than the NG Tube reason .

You would be surprised how many people in the medical field have no idea what the lap band is or does. So having something that says you have an "Object" in your body that is suppose to be there is a good idea . It is a personal choice though , if you dont like it dont get one

MIndy

just to clarify the above response- NG tubes are inserted in the ER, especially in trauma situations. NG tubes are inserted through the nose, down the esophagus, into the stomach. Breathing tubes are inserted through the oral cavity, between the vocal cords into the lungs. Hope this is helpful in deciding if a med alert ID is right for you.

I was given a rubber lapband Bracelet from my Bariatric support group that has the Allergan Lap Band Logo on it and it says I am with the BAND. I wear it all of the time.

I will order one of the medical ID bracelets though I think it is a good idea to have one for emergencies.

My bracelet I have is like the Livestrong bracelets.

I was given a rubber lapband Bracelet from my Bariatric support group that has the Allergan Lap Band Logo on it and it says I am with the BAND. I wear it all of the time.

I will order one of the medical ID bracelets though I think it is a good idea to have one for emergencies.

My bracelet I have is like the Livestrong bracelets.

The rubber type bands probably would not alert the paramedics that you have a lap band. I was a little concerend the Laurens hope bracelets would not either, they look a little like "regular" bracelets, so i asked my paramedic friend and he said " oh yeah we would notice those for sure " It does have the Red medical cross on it . So i was reassured by that .

I am not 100% sure what procedures are done in the ER or what are not frankly i dont care , for me it was about piece of mind, my doc did not recommend it , I personally thought it was a good idea. I have worked in and around the medical field long enough to know its a good idea to alert people if anything out of the ordinary is going on with you. I have people tell me I should have the fact that I have Migraines on my ID because im at risk for strokes because of my migraines , so if i stroke out they would possibly now what might have caused it . So im considering that too .

Again all a personal choice

Mindy

I have one out of personal choice. I was not told to get one, but I feel better having one. If I was ever in an accident and a paramedic was feeling on me and felt my port, I want him to know what it is. Also, there is a poster on here that has her port positioned between her breasts. In a situation like that, if she was in an accident and needed cpr, I personally think it would be a good idea for the paramedics to know it is there. I mean during cpr they have to do chest compressions, which in some cases break ribs. If the port is even close to the sternum, I'd want them to know what the bump was. If it was an emergency situation there is probably no way they could get around not damaging the port or tissue it is stiched into, but hey it might give them piece of mind knowing it is there. It is a personal preferance, if you want one get one, if you don't, don't.

Not a lot of people know about my band, so making a big deal of it at a restaurant and showing the waitress a card would not be my thing. Besides, the kids menu in most places has hot dogs, hamburgers and chicken fingers. I love eating out! I can order my favorites, Grilled Salmon or Liver or Scallops and not freak about the $15+ price for a meal since I take home enough for 2 more meals.

I have never had to show the card at restaurants . I have had one issue with it and i explained it to the waitress, which can always be done outside of those at the table. Some places though have " senior" menus that have smaller portions, which kind of ticks me off, why cant they just have smaller portions for who ever wants them ? So i will ask for something off that menu . Again if you do do if you dont dont.

Mindy

Ok,

Everyone with a medical Bracelet, please tell us exactly what you have writen on it.

Thanks.

First Last Name

Adjustable Gastric

Lap Band

No Blind NG Tubes

No NSAIDS

In that exact order line by line LOL

Mindy

I agree..a NG tube is not a breathing tube, however, I work in an ER and I have seen them put many NG tubes in. Some people are unconcious but for the most part people are concious, and would be able to tell them they have a band.