Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NJ January 2008 Chat

Hello all,

Well......... its a new year, and I still struggle with my weight.

So, here I am, and I am going to look into the Lap-Band procedure.

I am 5'10" and weigh about 260lbs

When I use the BMI calculator.... about 37

I sleep with a CPAP machine

Blood Pressure and Cholesteral are fine

Sugars..... starting not to look good.

Time to do something....

I will of course do some searching on here to get my feet wet and get some questions answered, but would appreciate any support I can get.

My main question will be how to get this covered my insurance....

Thanks all

Troy

Happy New Year Troy! (and Everybody!)

I was banded this past Halloween and found the whole process to be pretty easy. I found the surgery center I wanted to use. i followed their requirements and at the same time they submitted everything for me to my insurance co. I already had been documented at my dr. office as being 100lbs (or more) overweight.(a requirement). If there are co-morbidity issues (like sleep apnea, diabetes, etc...) considerations will be given for that. My insurance approval came quickly (within days of submitting), and I have heard of others taking much longer. Some wre even initially denied, but persevered and won approval!!! Lap band was the right choice for me...and I'm convinced that it would probably be the best choice for my son too. He's about 5'9, won't tell his weight but he's 23 yrs. old and wears a size 44Waist/29 L. jeans. His obstructive sleep apnea is off the charts! and we have diabetes in our family. If I would reccommend it to my son, I'd reccommend it to everyone interested.

Thanks all for the warm welcome in the other thread. Happy New Year!

For who asked- my docs plan was 2 days Clear liquids, 2 weeks full liquids, then after 1st post-op appt (this Thursday for me) mushies. 2 weeks of mushies, and off you go. I cannot wait for mushies. I'm hungry!

Troy- the easiest way to find out the deal about insurance is to talk to the insurance person at a local surgeon. Each company and plan has its quirks. With a BMI > 35 and sleep apnea, generally you will qualify. Unless your company's plan has an exclusion for weight loss surgery. You'd have to call your customer service for that info. I'm 2 weeks out. The first 2-3 days were tough. Improving since then! I've lost about 12% of what I have to lose in 2 weeks.

Best wishes to all for a very happy new year. Eileen, I'm jealous of the touch!

Eileen 2

diane

depending on what resort you stay at there are some plazas and bars outside of the resort. my first time there me and my friend ventured out on night and did not experience any problem and out second time - different resort - we went out to some local bars a few times with some workers we meet at the resort and once again had no problems. We are both in our 20's and being females we still didnt have any reason to feel unsafe. I know there is lots of security on the resorts and I am sure out of the resorts as well. it is a huge resort/tourist area and that is the livlyhood for a majority of the people in the area so I think they are smart and no not to cause trouble that may cause harm to the area.

this past week has been VERY bad for me and my new band. I have no been over eating just not eating the right stuff and not working out. Tomorrow is a new day and I will get myself back on track because i am worth it.

Happy New Year to everyone!!

Hi guys, I did the final paint stuff today in the kitchen. Then I moved all stuff in the cabinets around. We installed a pot rack, and I got to hang my pots and pans over the sink. All that is left is the trim and backsplash to be installed. I will take pics when it's all done. Tomorrow is paint in the basement. It's finally ready for paint. I have a list of stuff to do before going back to work on monday. I'm also having problems with the e-mail updates. ~Mandy

Happy New Year Y'all!

I hope everyone had a nice Holiday! Everything was great here, I am just tired and glad it is finally all over with!

My decorations are all done and put away and things are back to normal.

Diane - I think Pat might be in Florida. I think they were going to go look at some property there, I just am not sure what the dates were that she was going.

Troy - Welcome aboard. Glad to have you!

Mandy - You need to take a little R&R for yourself too! I bet your house is pretty with all the decorating/painting you do!

Jessica - We all have problems sticking with our program during the holidays. The good thing about the band is it's always there waiting for us when we fall off. You'll get back on the wagon, and things will get better! Good luck!

Eileen 2 - It gets better with each day.

Eileen 1 - Hey girlie, Happy New Year right back at you!

Well, it's time for me to think about getting dressed for work.

Catch you all later!

Hello everyone and Happy New Year.

I have the NewYears Blahs! Trying to get over them.

I have been eating poorly which is really what I think is making my mood bad.

I did get on the bike and rode 6 miles this morning!

Have a good day. And Welcome New comers. Troy if you don't want to go out of the US click onto the NewHope Bariatrics banner and see if one of there locations is possible.

aaaaHA...found ya hahahaha Gosh why is it I sit and wonder why I haven't gotten any updates each new month? Ya think after a few years I'd learn huh? That's right...it's been a little over two years with this lovely group :)

Well....stayed home from work today. TOM wasn't making things easy...UGH. Going through this womanly change thing really stinks! I wish it would hurry up and get over with. I see my PCP this month so I'm going to see if there is anything that can help things along or at least ease the issues each month with it. I've wanted to eat my way through house and home this week grrrr. I've done ok stopping myself but, man it's not always easy. Good thing the holiday food is out of here....still some lingering chocolate but, most of the other things have been long gone.

How is everyone doing? Any NEW new year's resolutions out there for anyone? The usual one for me...lose weight, get healthier. The bodybugg is a helper. Just started a new program with it as of yesterday. Of course TOM didn't make it easy....didn't make the 1000 cal deficit but, did make over 500 so that's cool. I'll hopefully be back up to par Friday so I can go walking again. I need to get those steps in in order to make the calorie burn I need.

Did everyone enjoy their Christmas and New Years? I did but, I'm glad it's over. Time to get moving in the right direction again.

Mandy - sounds like you've been awefully busy girlfriend. Man I HATE to paint rooms and houses! I like to decorative paint but, not entire rooms. God Bless ya! My house so needs it too B) I need to do the livingroom but it's attached to the hallways up and down and it has cathedral ceilings YIKES. I'm afraid of heights! I have a bedroom done in that sponge work from the previous owner in hideous colors of green...cripe he even painted the woodwork the same color as the walls :) I so like woodwork either painted a different color or my preferred stained wood. Anywho...houses just cost so much to upgrade and remodel. I'd love new windows but, man....I have a kid ready for college so all this stuff has to wait.

Work is still nuts....don't think that will ever change. It's been especially challenging lately but, one day at a time :)

Like Chrispy told me......start anew....here we goooooooo...

Hey there folks! I'm encouraged by everyone that had some setbacks, 'cause I know now that I'm not a total flop! I didn't do as well as I should have. I was gobbling up the sugar free candy until I read the nutritional values panel: 26gr.carbohydrates! UGH!

Dianne, 6 miles?! that's great! You were probably riding your bike while I was sittin on my.... LOL!

Sherry, I keep sayin' "wish this change would hurry-up and just get it over with!" too! I feel for ya! (womanly woes, lol) I step outside in the winter and steam is commin' off my head!.... whew!!!! Now that's a phase I wish would hurry up and go somewhere!!

Jessica AND Betty thanks for the info!

Y'all have a great day tomorrow!

Happy New Year to everyone!

How wonderful to find some newcomers here...to those considering lapband, let me add my encouragement! It is the hands-down best decision I've ever made that impacted my health. Although I have not yet reached my "goal weight" I am very happy where I am and can thank my lapband and the willingness to make that step.

Mandy, you are so busy! I bet you love that pot rack, too! I have one over my sink, and besides loving the look of it, it frees up a lot of storage space!

DD is still out of school, but DH went back yesterday. I'm taking DD to her grampa's and they are going to see Water Horse this morning. Tomorrow my sister is taking her to see Barbie and the 12 Princesses, which is a live performance in Ft. Worth. She has quite the social life! I'm just the chauffeur!

Isn't it great when the holidays are over, and we actually look forward to eating healthily!!!! I know that fruit and veggies are looking really good right now, after the sugar fest of the last couple of weeks....

Hope all is well for everyone!

Cindy

I can't stay and post personals but I just had to share....

My son was accepted to the University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth in the Psychiatry program for the Fall 2008 semester! I'm so excited for him...I'm going to enjoy the excitement until I see the first bill baaaahahaha

Thanks for letting me share! :confused: Welcome newbies and Happy New Year everyone!

Sherry, That's fantastic news!!!!! Tell him the LBT girls are very very proud of him. ~Mandy

That is great...I'm a teacher...so those kind of things interest me. That is such a huge accomplishment! Good luck to him!