Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stuck and Depressed

So, my scale keeps fluctuating about 4 lbs, i lose these 4, they come back, lose them, come back..ect...For about 4 days now...

Ive been drinking about 2 Protein Shakes a day, 40g of Protein each time, and drinking about 2 qts of Water. Im starving. But Im SO sick of broth that i cant bear to open up another can and heat it up. So, ive been eating about 2-4 sf jello's a day.

I also, have been working out, every day for the past 5 days, for 40mins a day on the eliptical.

Still cant get passed 287. I dont know what to think, Im frustrated. I feel like im doing all this starving for freaking nothing.

Hi,

I am not new here, but have not been around lately so please forgive me for asking, but why is your caloric intake so low? Given the fact that you are exercising, it is quite possible that you are simply not receiving enough nutrients and your metabolism is shutting down.

All the talk about metabolism is confusing and conflicting at times, I know, but I have heard that if you don't take in enough calories, it can actually stall your weight loss, albeit a temporary stall.

Also, you sound as though you are weighing every day. Maybe you should cut back to once a week, that way you won't be so frustrated by the numbers. I know, we all do it, always with the belief that if it goes down, that's what we need to motivate us to keep at it. Especially when we make ourselves miserable by starving.

Give you system time to adjust, you have only had the surgery a short time ago. I promise you that if you give it time, it will work.

Hope this helps.

Cindy

Sheila,

It sounds like your body is going into starvation mode. I don't know if it will help, but maybe you really do need to start bringing more calories into your body. What Cindi says makes sense.

And on top of that please remember, right now it's not about losing....it's about healing. The tool inside isn't in work mode yet. It is still just getting settled. Remember all those diets we've tried and failed? Isn't this the feeling that made us give up? Don't go there. We aren't on the new path yet. Please give our bands time to work.

Forget about those 4 pounds for a few days. Try to let your body get ready for the next stage. Remember that this isn't a short term diet but a new way of life that will last forever. In 6 months this two weeks of fighting over 4 pounds won't matter. You'll be dropping the pounds like flies and won't be looking back.

Keep us posted in your progress and mindset. I'm watching for you.

Steph

Sheila,

Are you on full fluids yet - if not, maybe you should talk to your Dr. When I was on fluids I was basically told not to worry about calories but to make sure I had plenty of fluids. I was allowed anything that went up a McDonalds size straw - so I pureed chicken and vegetable Soup and put it through a strainer to get the lumps out. The thicker fluids helped to fill me up. I agree with the others that you need to up your calorie intake.

One of the things my Dr and dietitian were adamant about during the Fluid stage was that I should have at least two Protein Drinks per day and a drinking yoghurt.

How long are you suppose to be on the fluids?

Also I was told only light to moderate exercise for the first 3-4 weeks. I was only suppose to be walking around the block at the end of the second week so maybe you are working your body too hard.

I have also been told that it is not uncommon to actually put on weight after the operation but that at about 4 weeks, when you body has healed more it starts to drop off. Mind you the real weight loss doesn't really start until you have a fill and get some restriction.

Try to stop feeling depressed and give your poor body time to heal.

Danna

Could be that your body is replacing fat with muscle which weighs more since you are working out. I would ditch the scale for at least a week then check again.

Hang in there "this too shall pass" and you'll be on your way to your ideal weight.

Try drinking flavored water - that may help turn off your hunger. Plain Water doesn't seem to help as much. Hubby has been drinking tomato/veggie juice mixed with chicken broth (about half and half). It's very low calorie and helps fill him up.

Judy

Sheila .. .my scale hasn't moved either since 12-10. But I keep doing what I'm supposed to do . . . and I'm starting to go to the pool until I'm cleared by my doctor for the machines at the gym (knee and hip and back problems) . . . and I'm not going to worry about it. My body is changing - my clothes are getting to get "baggie", I'm getting a neck . . . so something is changing somewhere. I'm just continuing on and at some point something has to give for the better.

Chris

Hey hon,

Your body is playing games with Water. :) That scale is going to move down and stay down, just let everything heal first.

I totally get the frustration!! :huggies:

I know we want to follow our doc orders... but maybe you should move yourself to the mushie stage???

Everyone is differerent, I know... and docs are too... but I am feeling soooooooooooo much better that I am putting something with substance in me. I feel fuller and I am not starvin anymore.

I have been on soft foods since Christmas day and was banded 12th.

Good luck... I say, eat something!!!

Hey guys....

Thanks a lot for this thread. It made me feel TONS better.

Danna, Im to be on just Clear Liquids including Protein Shakes for another...week.

I think you guys are right, I need to just chill out and do what im supposed to do.

The tool inside isn't in work mode yet. It is still just getting settled. Remember all those diets we've tried and failed? Isn't this the feeling that made us give up? Don't go there. We aren't on the new path yet. Please give our bands time to work.

That is SoOOO true...

Im just going to give it time, i didnt get fat overnight, i suppose im not going to get skinny overnight, either. :)

Sheila,

Glad you're feeling better. You just tell those scales to behave themselves, that they are not imagining that you are getting lighter!!:biggrin1:

Seriously though, it is good to hear that you are not so depressed now. Do you go onto mushies when you finish this week on fluids or does your Dr let you go straight onto soft foods? You will feel so much better when you are able to have something that is closer to real food (even if it is pureed). I made spaghetti bolonese and mashed it - looked disgusting but tasted great.

Your right about not putting this weight on overnight. I'm suppose to only lose 1kg (about 2lbs) a week according to my Dr which is why I think he moved me onto mushies early. Remember our body weight also changes with the time of month.

You have already lost 18lbs - you should be very proud of yourself - I'm proud of you and so is everyone else I am sure.

Hope you have a great New Year.

Danna

Sheila, I also was banded on 12-11-07, Im in the same boat as you. since I went to soft foods Ive been stuck. Thanks to all these great people I feel better also. Thanks

Male 6'02" high 335 / surg 322/ cur 299 /goal 220

I was in the same boat, I had my surgery 2 days before you, and for the first two weeks, nothing changed! I was very disapointed with myself, and felt as if I was doing something wrong even though I was on a liquid diet, and starving!! As soon as I moved on to the mushie stage (a little over a week ago), the weight just started coming off. I finally had a few BM's, which definitely helped, but now I'm at another plateau where I feel I can eat a lot, and I'm not losing. First fill is scheduled for 1/10 and I can't wait. Yippee!!