Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gaining before first fill :o(

I lost 8 lbs the first 2 weeks after surgery and then I felt like I never even had the surgery. I am able to eat just about anything if I chew well. From time to time I experience a "big bite moment" and I am frozen until it passes, but I can pretty much eat anything I want without feeling pain or discomfort. I have the new 10 cc band and I go for my first fill 1/9, my Dr saidI will only get 1 to 1.5 cc's each fill until I am restricted. I have such bad habits and I can't seem to kick them even now. I eat potatoes in some form everyday, and I haven't been able to kick ice cream at all. I've gained the 8 lbs back and I feel sick about it. Has anyone had a similar experience? Any suggestions to get past this?

You might want to talk to your dr. about giving you more than 1 to 1.5 cc's when you go for your first fill. I have the 10 cc band as well and am filled to 6 cc's (one fill of 3 cc's and apparantly I had 3 cc's put in my band at surgery). I still do not feel a great deal of restriction, although I am losing reasonably well. Even at 6 cc's, I have the occasional pb(the first one a couple of weeks ago with a banana of all things!), but I can basically eat anything, although not as much as previously.

When I went for my first fill, I was extremely surprised that the doc filled me to 6 cc's, after reading here about people needing many fills before getting to that level. He said that in his experience, many people need 7 or more cc's with the 10 cc band to feel restriction.

I don't have to pay for my fills (is it a coincidence that I get a big fill when I am not self paying - hmmmm? :rolleyes:), and I am starting to be suspicious that many people being filled are being treated much too conservatively and being left in bandster hell for months.

I don't mean to be cynical, but I can't help it, since I am reading the same issue from many people with the 10 cc band. If there seems to be some medical wisdom that the 10 cc band generally needs more Fluid, why not start at 3 or 4 cc's rather than 1 cc?

Good luck!

My doctor's fee includes one year of after-care -- 12 monthly appointments. I had one cc in my 10-cc band at surgery and three ccs added two weeks ago. I don't know how much will be added from now on but I will see the doctor every month whether I get a fill or not so I don't think his decision will be motivated by money but I can see where that could be an issue.

I gained weight after my surgery until about my 3rd fill. The good news is that once you have proper restriction, the weight will come off!

Try following weight watchers or other similar program until you obtain restriction.

I also have a 10cc band and wished I had been filled more aggressively. It took nearly 4 months after surgery to start losing weight.

OK now I am a little nervious. I also have the 10 and I sure hope my dr is agressive about fills. I dont want to gain again. I am going to the gym tonight. Hopping that will help me with the cravings.

Unfortunately for some of us, until we get past the phase of "fill, some restriction, less restriction and another fill and repeat", we will struggle with weight loss. I think some self restraint (yes, like the diets we used to be on) is needed for this time period.

I know we're not generally good at dieting and that's why we're here, but I feel some attempt might be needed.

So get rid of the "bad" foods. Throw away the ice cream and don't buy anymore. Journal your daily food/ liquid/ Protein intake.

Ask yourself if you are following your Dr's postop diet restrictions.

Does the post op food list your Dr. gave you include ice cream and potatoes? ARe you eating/drinking the recommended amount of Protein and Water fluids?

Read posts and info on the forum about fills. If you get too much at one fill, you might be Overfilled and that experience, from what I've read is not pleasant.

I've had one fill, 2 cc's in 10 cc band, since surgery and I was told not to expect restriction and haven't had any. My next fill is 1/3/8 and I was told it will be 1.5 cc's. We'll see how that goes.

I think many Dr's are conservative not to overfill b/c there is the occasional patient that does not need 6 to 7 cc's in their band. If you read a lot of posts about fills, you'll see some people get restriction at first from a small fill and it gradually fades and then they get another.

Finally, try not to be discouraged, you're only one month into this journey.

It's normal what your feeling. My dr even told me to expect to gain some weight before my 1st fill and I was so upset by this because I had already gained 3 lbs the week after my surgery! It took about my 3rd fill (3 months) before I started to really lose weight and feel restriction.

The band isn't a miracle and you are going to have to use some willpower during this time of "bandster hell" before you feel restriction. I had the same problem as you and was still eating ice cream and potatoes. I cut out the potatoes and started eating only lean Protein and salad. As for the ice cream, I only buy single serving ice cream, this way I don't overdo. I recommend the weight watcher ice cream products like the giant oreo cookie ice cream bar or they have single serving ice cream cups. These all have 140 calories.

You can do it! Hang in there!

my dr also told me do not be surprised if you dont gain before you get fills....you were on Clear Liquids for 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after...of course you'll lose......i'll tell you the advice he gave me and i'm trying it..if you want a hamburger and fries...take the bread off the burger...or keep the bread and dont eat fries....its a trade off now....if you want rice.... dont eat any potato....if you want something sweet...try something sugar free...like pu dding.. with free cool whip....GOOD! i do still eat alot of sf pops too..... but he told me himself...untill you start fills you have to really be careful...if you dont want to...you'll gain.....and thats ok too.... the band will work with fills....gl to you!! i have a 10cc ap band..and i was told i have nothing in it .... cant wait to get some juice!!! :hungry:

Peaches, ice cream goes right through you and will not sustain your hunger. Try to keep your servings to 1/2 to 1 cup of food and 800-1k calories a day. That should do the trick.

good luck.

It's normal to feel like you weren't banded after swelling goes down and before you get a fill. You don't have restriction!

But for the ice cream, you'll always be able to eat this. GET IT OUT OF YOUR HOUSE!!!!!! My biggest problem is temptation. I can't overcome it. Solution is not to have it. I have to throw out things all the time because I realize I can't stop myself. If you want ice cream as a treat every once in a while, go buy a small serving from DQ or Coldstone, etc. when you want a treat. Don't have it in your freezer where you can grab some whenever you please.

The band will never help with ice cream because it will always go right through the band unless you are too tight. The band only works with solid food. You will have to break that happen on your own. Throw it away!!!

Right now you have no restriction. I went through the same thing. I stopped losing weight as I introduced real food but I didn't gain any back. If are truly hungry then eat but be sensible. I would eat yogurt or a pudding cup when I was hungry between meals.

I have a 10 cc band and was filled to 4 cc at time of surgery. I must be a wierdo, because I DO feel a little restriction, and get a tummy ache if I try to eat more than a cup of food. I can't eat near the amount that I used to. Some foods stick with me for hours afterward and are uncomfortable. (Meat) I've been stuck once eating fish. I thought I would die. No PB yet though. I'm scheduled for my first fill on Jan. 11, but honestly don't feel like I need one yet. I'm 6 weeks out and lost 26 pounds. Do I really need a fill?

Doesn't sound like you need a fill. Consider yourself lucky.

I also have a 10cc band, no fills at surgery, one fill on 12/20 of 2 cc's, did nothing. Next fill 1.5 cc's on 1/3/08.

We'll see what happens!

I see. I cannot wait to get my first fill. I have not gained yet because I have had will power to stay below 800 calories... it is getting hard though. I will remain strong just 4 weeks to go!