Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I decided today that sashimi was "mushy". =) I went to my favorite sushi place (I'm an addict) and ordered the "Sashimi Appetizer". I'd already told the sushi chef there that I was having surgery (yes, I love sushi SO much that I have a personal relationship with my sushi chef =) ) so he was happy to see me and knew I wouldn't be his cash cow anymore =)

He cut the sashimi into tiny pieces at my request, and I sat with a friend and ate my "appetizer" as he ate a much larger meal. He was done in 20 minutes, but sat with me for another 25 as I finished my feast.

It was, indeed, mushy -- especially with proper chewing. It went down without any pain or discomfort whatsoever. I was amazed at the flavor. I've never really been a taster ... always more interested in texture and quantity than in taste. I have to say, I prefer this MUCH more.

I enjoyed an hour away from work. I spent half to one third what I would have spent before. I enjoyed it 4 times as much. And when I left, I didn't hate myself for eating like a pig. Oh, and I actually heard and remembered what my friend and I talked about. In the past, conversation was just a product of being there. I was there for the food.< /p>

I gotta say, I *love* my band. =)

Jonathan

I'm with you on the raw fish, Jonathan. It's the best! Just watch out for the seaweed salad...it is NOT band friendly. The single worst episode I ever had was on some seaweed served as a garnish on a sashimi plate.

But the fish, oh yes, the fish...YUM! :)

No seaweed for me either!! Oh how I enjoy a bowl of Miso Soup to start then some Maguro...Crab...Salmon...Albacore

My favorite lunch.< /p>

Oh I'm so excited! I'll be banded the end of this month, and quite honestly I've requested Sushi as my "last supper."

It's very encouraging to know that I'll still be able to enjoy it in the near future! So tell me, just the fish-no rice at all right? Did you even try to use wasabi?

Congratulations to you.

/e does the happy dance! Sashimi!

My husband isn't much a a sushi person, but he takes me out for it because he knows how I adore it. He hasn't been able to tell me if he can still eat it, because well, he didn't really eat it before, and wasn't willing to try after. (He pb's a lot)

If you like the rolls ( california roll, hot & spicy roll, shrim roll rainbow roll etc) and can not do the seaweed they wrap them in..ask your sushi chef to use rice paper. It is very thin, easy to chew and serves the same purpose as the seaweed does keeps everything inplace to make the roll. This is what I have been doing ever since banding , cant do the seaweed either.

If you like the rolls ( california roll, hot & spicy roll, shrim roll rainbow roll etc) and can not do the seaweed they wrap them in..ask your sushi chef to use rice paper. It is very thin, easy to chew and serves the same purpose as the seaweed does keeps everything inplace to make the roll. This is what I have been doing ever since banding , cant do the seaweed either.

Awesome idea. As for me, yesterday, it was definitely just the fish, no rice. And LOTS of wasabi. =)

You all will have to give me a crash course on sushi foods, I have only had it once, I craved it when I was pregnant, I saw a movie where they were eating sushi food and I couldn't get it out of my mind. You are not supposed to eat raw fish while you are pregnant, but I spoke with my ob doctor and he said that if I had a small amount of it, he didn't see any harm in it since I was really pregnant by that point. Well my husband and I went and it was a different experience, I didn't overindulge wanted to keep my baby safe, but it was truly delicious. My husband also enjoyed it until that night when he got very, very ill, he was sick all night and the day after so he swore that he would never eat it again so we never go, but I will have to try it again, sounds delicious..

I know other people have spoken about a transendece experience with food; I was always skeptical when I heard this. That is, until I had some sushi with this amazing smoked salmon..... The thought of that sustains me until I can get back to Seatle...

Wow I was really glad to see this post...I am a HUGE fan of sushi and was bemoaning the fact that I can't have it...can't wait to get deeper into mushy foods to try it out...I also miss scallops...I really had a taste for them last night.

I have never had Sushi but am looking forward to trying it soon. Now do I just ask for Sashimi?

My sushi restaurant does a "Tuna Martini"...which is perfect for mush or soft food. The dice the tuna sashimi very small and mix with small diced avocado, wasabi, soy sauce and a few crushed peanuts...all mixed together and served in a martini glass. Its yummy!!!

bubbame, Most people like Califorinia Rolls(crab), but at the start are turned off by the seaweed; try small bites.

Good Maguro should be very tender, these are good starters. dip in soy with a little of the green stuff (wasabi) mixed in for hot flavor.

Caren, your martini sound delish'