Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Birth Control Pills. Need some feedback

Hi Ladies. I am finally going on birth control. It has been 2 months since my surgery. I could of started sooner, but was afraid they would make me nauseous or make me want to puke. I WANT MY SEX LIFE BACK! I hate condoms wont do them (I am married in a committed relationship). I have heard about the diaphragm, not sure what to think on that. I had always done the rhythm method in the past, but with the weight coming off, my fertility is probably going up. So my question to you ladies is WHAT BRAND of Birth control pills do you all use out there? Any brands you have tried that you seem to experience little to no side effects? Any other RELIABLE forms of birth control (besides abstinence) that don't rely on hormones?

I would really like to hear from you all out there. My doctor gave me the ortho-tricyclen LO. Anyone on that brand?? How do you guys like it? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Happy Holidays to everyone!! :clap2:;) I out!

hello, I have been on orth-try cyclen regular (generic version called tri-nessa is what i actually take) for over 5 years. I stopped it before my surgery and then started it again 2 months after...i didn't have any problems with it. But the reason i go with the generic is because it makes me less nauseous then the actual stuff. But my OBGYN and surgery doc find it strange, since they are the same chemicals...but that is just the fact. So i would try the regular stuff see how you feel then maybe try the generic stuff and compare the two...That is my experience, i hope that helps...

Have a nice holiday....

Aside from barrier methods (condom, diaphragm) there is only hormonal control.

You do know what they call people who only practice the rhythm method don't you? Parents!

I used the regualr Ortho Tri Cyclin.

I had no problems. Gained about 5 pounds and had bouts of acne. But after being diagnosed with PCOS the acne it seems has never gone away completely.

I was going to try Mirena or one of the newer pills where you only have a menstruation 3-4 times a year. Or the Nuva ring??

I, unfortunately needed a hysterectomy in Jan and there's no need for birth control anymore.

Susan

Any other RELIABLE forms of birth control (besides abstinence) that don't rely on hormones?

A vasectomy. I've never used hormonal birth control--the whole concept always seemed too risky and unwise to me. I used a diaphragm for almost 20 years before deciding I wanted to get pregnant, and then after our second child was born hubby went and got snipped.

Speaking of diaphragms, it's important to know that you should be re-fitted after losing 20 or 30 lbs. Internal anatomy changes too.

Stay away from the sponge. It is not reliable, even if used correctly.

I used an IUD for about 5 years with no side effects at all. You might want to ask your doctor.

Stay away from the sponge. It is not reliable, even if used correctly.

Just a side note, the company that makes the sponge has filed for bankruptcy. Guess the time off the market in the early 90's really damaged their sales (Today Sponge was at one time THE most popular form of birth control, bar none).

And I agree with Alexandra...snip snip.

But if that is not an option, I am on OrthoNovum (I take the generic Necon) 1/35/28. NOT a multi phasic/multi dose pill pack. I've never had any trouble with nausea, been on it since I was 18 (save for a couple of months here and there, inc the month before and couple months after my banding).

I have tried alot out there. The Ortho tricyclen made me a crazy woman. I tried Merena...made me crazy too. I could be sitting on the cough watching TV with my hubby and all of the sudden get pissed off for no reason. I mean teeth gritting, ears red, wanting to throw something pissed off. I also tried the diaphram, my hubby didn't like it cuz it would rub the head of his penis raw....sorry I know TMI, but its true. Plus it is a pain to put in and take out. I liked today's sponge. I used it for about a year after I decided it was the Ortho tricyclen making me crazy. Again it is a pain to put in and take out. My doc finally believed me when I told her the hormone birth control and others like it were gonna eventually make me kill somebody so she changed me to Ortho Novum which has the opposite hormone that tricyclen does....I have been on it for about 4 months now and it seems to be working out good for me. Every one is different though. The trick is finding what is best for you!

i have used April which is the generic form of Desogen for many years.

i love it. no issues.

i even skip a white week every once and awhile and go right to a new pack without any issues.

Birth control pills don't work with me, and I've tried 4 different brands.

I also tried the patch and the ring. The ring irritated dh and the patch was good with the exception of falling off all of the time. And I also had a reaction to the glue/adhesive from it.

So right now I have the Mirena IUD. I use it to reduce my period's severity and length, not for birth control. Anyway I've had it since June and really love it. It does release hormones and has to be replaced every 5 years.

Hope this helps.

I have the copper IUD. I got it 3 years ago. LOVE IT, I refused to go on any more hormonal BC for the last 15 years, since I gained a lot of weight with all the different pills and Depo Provera that I tried back then. The copper IUD caused more bleeding and cramping for the first few months but by 6 months everything was back to how it was pre-IUD. I love it. And it only has to be replaced every 10 years, which is nice, not that I think I will have it that long, as we want to have a baby in the next couple years. Good luck.

Gwen

Thank you for all the responses. IUD's are not an option for me. I don't have children, and I know infertility is a risk with those, so I would rather just stay away. Plus having one foreign object in my body is enough to deal with for me. lol . I will try the birth control pills :rolleyes. I really don't want them, but I really don't want to be get pregnant (and only 2 months out, so I can't get pregnant). Thank you all again for sharing your experiences. I will ask my doctor about some of the brands you all mentioned. Thank you, Thank you. Take care everyone. HAPPY HOLIDAYS! :whoo:

Actually IUDs don't increase risk for infertility, and fertility returns as soon as the IUD is removed.

hey iluvcarbs! i've been one "the pill" since i was 16 after having an ovary removed because i had a big ol tumor on it and then having really bad periods after that. i was scared to go on the pill since i've only got the one ovary and didn't want to have any fertility problems in the future. i was on about 3 different brands before going on Yasmin. everything else was making me feel sick but i've had no side effects with Yasmin. some friends of mine also use it and they haven't had any weight gain from it or other side effects. i think the most important thing is to work with your md and just know that the first thing you try might not be right for you but you'll find one that is a good fit. :rose:

I took my BC pill on my 2nd day after surgery (I had to or else my period would start and not even liquid Vicodin would be able to help that pain). I crushed it up and took it with a little liquid Protein and everything was fine. Even though they are tiny, I'm still crushing them.

I have PCOS and actually can't lose weight unless I'm on the pill (the pill keeps my hormones in line by preventing new cysts from forming on my ovaries).

Any tri-cycle type pills make me crazy (too much hormone shifting)-- but I'm on Ovcon 35 (a pill that's been around since the 60's I think) and I love it. I also love Yasmin, but it was too expensive so I went back to Ovcon.

I'm on Yasmin... but the first couple days of the past two packs i get nauseous and i always have a headache (headaches may be from something else because still had them on th placebo "sugar" pills):cry