Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss SLOWING way down!

Hi Me again!

So I am noticing that I am losing 1.5-2lbs a week last couple of weeks, I had surgery 1/24 for Gastric Sleeve so I am 14 weeks post op. I have lost a lot of weight fast in the beginning so I am assuming that's why its slowing down? I am incorporating a lot of exercise now including weights so maybe that's why too? I am trying to get into the mind set that I am focusing on how I feel and not so much what the scale says.

Just want to make sure this is normal?

Weight when I entered the bariatric program: 297lbs

Surgery Day Weight: 266lbs

CW: 205lbs

GW: 170lbs

From what I've been reading and a video from Dr. John Pilcher I recently watched, it's definitely normal. You usually lose the most in your first 3 months, around 1/2 the weight you're going to lose. After doing some poking around to clarify, it seems that number is calculated using your day of surgery weight. Between 3 and 6 months, you continue losing at 1-2 lbs a week, and this slows to maybe just a few pounds per month between 6 months and a year. So, let's say you lost 50lbs in the first 3 months, it's going to take you 9 months to lose the other 50lbs, but you most likely will lose it as long as you keep doing the right things.

Oh that is absolutely normal and actually still a great loss streak!

The weight loss path is not a straight path down. It will slow and even stall as your body is adjusting. Weight training can add to it, but honestly your body will adjust throughout. And yes the smaller you get, the slower it gets. I lost about 30lbs in the first month and a half (including the pre-op diet) and yet it's taken me nearly 4 months to lose 12lbs.

You are still early on since surgery and have done fantastic. We started about the same weight. We are in this for life so keep doing what you're doing and let everything else speak for itself - the way you feel, take pictures and measurements. The scale is just one factor.

5 minutes ago, NickelChip said:

From what I've been reading and a video from Dr. John Pilcher I recently watched, it's definitely normal. You usually lose the most in your first 3 months, around 1/2 the weight you're going to lose. After doing some poking around to clarify, it seems that number is calculated using your day of surgery weight. Between 3 and 6 months, you continue losing at 1-2 lbs a week, and this slows to maybe just a few pounds per month between 6 months and a year. So, let's say you lost 50lbs in the first 3 months, it's going to take you 9 months to lose the other 50lbs, but you most likely will lose it as long as you keep doing the right things.

Okay! This is encouraging. So my stats (I love numbers) First 3months I lost 60lbs. I really only want to lose 35 more lbs so this should be very achievable by my Year Anniversary?

1 minute ago, Shanna NYC said:

Oh that is absolutely normal and actually still a great loss streak!

The weight loss path is not a straight path down. It will slow and even stall as your body is adjusting. Weight training can add to it, but honestly your body will adjust throughout. And yes the smaller you get, the slower it gets. I lost about 30lbs in the first month and a half (including the pre-op diet) and yet it's taken me nearly 4 months to lose 12lbs.

You are still early on since surgery and have done fantastic. We started about the same weight. We are in this for life so keep doing what you're doing and let everything else speak for itself - the way you feel, take pictures and measurements. The scale is just one factor.

Thank you so much! Girl you are soooo right!! The scale is ONE factor. Gotta take pictures. I am still working on the mental part of all this, I am tired of the yo-yo so I have been overthinking and over analyzing this entire journey

This is totally normal---but freaks you out just the same because what if it stops, right!?! The first 3 months are normally fastest. But the closer you are to your goal weight, the slower it gets. Each surgery has a bit different loss rate, but if you stay the course, even as you slow down, you will get to goal. If you have hit 50% of your excess weight by 6 months you are doing really well according to most surgeons.

I definitely didn't lose 50% in the first 3 months, most people I see lose 50% by month 5 or 6. But it also depends on how much you have to lose and your individual body's pace. Some lose it really rapidly and are at goal by month 7 or 8. Some take 18 months to hit the same goal. My body is a slow poke and likes to have 6 week stalls! So I hit my 50% mark at close to 5 months but have been stalled for a month since and actually regained 6 lbs, lost it, and then just gained 15 lbs in Fluid from surgery again. My weight tracking app looks like an absolute mess. LOL

Working out can seem to cause stalls and slowing down too, because you are trading fat for muscle and muscle weighs more. Plus the act of working out changes the fluid balance and such in your body, so sometimes you appear to gain some weight when you start working out in earnest, but it'll balance out over time.

Your experience is totally within normal limits of loss OP!

I know you'll be reading the posts here of others who have lost really slowly but still reached or exceeded their goal. I lost really steadily but most of us don't.

If you stick to your programme you will lose lots more. I did, and my last few months saw me lose 1 or 2lbs max per month - still a loss! Keep the faith.

On 4/24/2024 at 2:23 PM, AmberFL said:

Okay! This is encouraging. So my stats (I love numbers) First 3months I lost 60lbs. I really only want to lose 35 more lbs so this should be very achievable by my Year Anniversary? 

your experience so far is VERY similar to what mine was (BMI wise, at least - as i am much shorter than you).

we were both BMI 43-ish at start.

we were both BMI 40-ish on surgery day.

we were both BMI 30-ish at 14 weeks (yes, i tracked all my stats religiously and have all the records, ha!)

so if there is anything we could glean from this series of coincidences (which, by the way, there ISN'T, because we are totally different people, and my experience is totally different and separate from yours, yada, yada), we can at the very least say that what you are looking for is POSSIBLE, since you seem to be travelling the same trajectory as i did, and yes, i got to BMI 25 (your goal) by my one year anniversary. To be more specific, i got to BMI 25 just a little after my 6 month post-op mark (6 months + 1 week to be exact)

you're doing great. keep doing what you are doing and you'll keep losing until you don't (i also lost 2-ish lbs a week after the first 2 months...seriously we are like weight loss twins)

many have said it before, and i'll say it again, losing the weight is the easy part (comparatively). keeping it off is where the harder work comes in.

p.s. i am now past my 5½ year post op mark and i have maintained a BMI 21-22 since reaching goal almost 5 years ago. cross my fingers this continues, but i am not so ignorant that i actually believe i will be this weight forever...though i am definitely enjoying it while i am.

13 hours ago, ms.sss said:

your experience so far is VERY similar to what mine was (BMI wise, at least - as i am much shorter than you).

we were both BMI 43-ish at start.

we were both BMI 40-ish on surgery day.

we were both BMI 30-ish at 14 weeks (yes, i tracked all my stats religiously and have all the records, ha!)

so if there is anything we could glean from this series of coincidences (which, by the way, there ISN'T, because we are totally different people, and my experience is totally different and separate from yours, yada, yada), we can at the very least say that what you are looking for is POSSIBLE, since you seem to be travelling the same trajectory as i did, and yes, i got to BMI 25 (your goal) by my one year anniversary. To be more specific, i got to BMI 25 just a little after my 6 month post-op mark (6 months + 1 week to be exact)

you're doing great. keep doing what you are doing and you'll keep losing until you don't (i also lost 2-ish lbs a week after the first 2 months...seriously we are like weight loss twins)

many have said it before, and i'll say it again, losing the weight is the easy part (comparatively). keeping it off is where the harder work comes in.

p.s. i am now past my 5½ year post op mark and i have maintained a BMI 21-22 since reaching goal almost 5 years ago. cross my fingers this continues, but i am not so ignorant that i actually believe i will be this weight forever...though i am definitely enjoying it while i am.

This is very encouraging! I would love to be at 30BMI so I can qualify for plastics, that is my first goal and I RIGHT there, so anything less is going to be amazing! Although I look at myself in the mirror and wonder where else can I lose this weight? LOL At any point did you wonder the same thing?

We are total weight loss twins! hahah I love it!

On 4/25/2024 at 12:48 PM, ChunkCat said:

This is totally normal---but freaks you out just the same because what if it stops, right!?! The first 3 months are normally fastest. But the closer you are to your goal weight, the slower it gets. Each surgery has a bit different loss rate, but if you stay the course, even as you slow down, you will get to goal. If you have hit 50% of your excess weight by 6 months you are doing really well according to most surgeons.

I definitely didn't lose 50% in the first 3 months, most people I see lose 50% by month 5 or 6. But it also depends on how much you have to lose and your individual body's pace. Some lose it really rapidly and are at goal by month 7 or 8. Some take 18 months to hit the same goal. My body is a slow poke and likes to have 6 week stalls! So I hit my 50% mark at close to 5 months but have been stalled for a month since and actually regained 6 lbs, lost it, and then just gained 15 lbs in Fluid from surgery again. My weight tracking app looks like an absolute mess. LOL

Working out can seem to cause stalls and slowing down too, because you are trading fat for muscle and muscle weighs more. Plus the act of working out changes the Fluid balance and such in your body, so sometimes you appear to gain some weight when you start working out in earnest, but it'll balance out over time.

One of the hardest things that I am trying to teach myself that is is not a diet! this is a lifestyle. In life we eat right 90%-95% of the time and work out 3-4x a week, and the whole purpose of this was for me to be healthy. It is scary to think of being 297lbs again because of how unhealthy and how much pain I was in. I have to reflect on my "Why".

Thank you as always for your words of wisdom! ❤️

On 4/25/2024 at 3:30 PM, Spinoza said:

Your experience is totally within normal limits of loss OP!

I know you'll be reading the posts here of others who have lost really slowly but still reached or exceeded their goal. I lost really steadily but most of us don't.

If you stick to your programme you will lose lots more. I did, and my last few months saw me lose 1 or 2lbs max per month - still a loss! Keep the faith.

I am keepin the faith!! Just trying to teach myself that this is marathon not a sprint!

5 hours ago, AmberFL said:

This is very encouraging! I would love to be at 30BMI so I can qualify for plastics, that is my first goal and I RIGHT there, so anything less is going to be amazing! Although I look at myself in the mirror and wonder where else can I lose this weight? LOL At any point did you wonder the same thing?

We are total weight loss twins! hahah I love it!

if i'm not mistaken, you are already at 30 BMI? Out of curiosity, who is enforcing a qualification weight for plastics? is this because you are looking to get it covered by insurance? (because if you are self pay, you can get plastics at any weight you want...)

Though truth be told, when i was at 30 BMI (around 3.5 months p.o.), i could still totally see places where i could stand to lose some more fat. I don't think i was being overly critical either, i think it was just the truth.

Am attaching a link to a collage i often share on here which is my progress in pictures the first 3 years (i'm 5.5 yrs now).

I was at 30.4 BMI in the last picture on the first/top row.

The very last pic at the bottom i was BMI 21.2.

This morning i clocked in on BMI 21.6.

one day i'll make an updated collage with more recent pics, but i'm pretty lazy, lol.

24 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

if i'm not mistaken, you are already at 30 BMI? Out of curiosity, who is enforcing a qualification weight for plastics? is this because you are looking to get it covered by insurance? (because if you are self pay, you can get plastics at any weight you want...)

Though truth be told, when i was at 30 BMI (around 3.5 months p.o.), i could still totally see places where i could stand to lose some more fat. I don't think i was being overly critical either, i think it was just the truth.

Am attaching a link to a collage i often share on here which is my progress in pictures the first 3 years (i'm 5.5 yrs now).

I was at 30.4 BMI in the last picture on the first/top row.

The very last pic at the bottom i was BMI 21.2.

This morning i clocked in on BMI 21.6.

one day i'll make an updated collage with more recent pics, but i'm pretty lazy, lol.

I am not sure if it has to do with where I am located (CA) but the surgeons that I have looked up want 30BMi or lower, there are only a select few that will operate on plus size people. I am also 5'9, so I am stretched out, I mean there is defintely places I could! LOL I am not a rail or where I want to be. I wish I had your thighs! Mine are so saggy! lol you look AMAZING