Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So many things to learn

Hello! My name is Christine. I am 23 years post-op and due to how long ago I had my surgery and all they have learned since.... there is so much I need to learn. I have to keep telling my doctors "I wasn't told that..." I am now in the process of losing weight to repair hernias from my initial full cut surgery. I had a Gastric Bypass/Roux en y, back in 2000 (before so much was known and so many products were available). I thought I was ready with the proper mindset to have the surgery and be successful. I lost 95 lbs., but hit a plateau and became very discouraged. Over the years I put the weight back on plus some. I am now retired and realizing I need to get this weight off, not only to fix the hernias but to improve my quality of life in my "Golden Years".

Hello Christine and congratulations on your retirement. Nice to run into fellow traveler that had the full cut, though my team called it 'open.' For me the full cut / open surgery with accompanying staples were the worst part of the whole process. Once the staples came out I was a happy camper.

Since we're in Rants and Raves, I'll dip my toe into rants...

I somewhat agree with your frustration with the changes in nutrition and supplements over the years. So much of what we're told more and more is pulled out of thin air, or from studies taken out of context, or study results that are exaggerated beyond reason, or just conflicting information that people just didn't think through.

We're bombarded with all this 'new', 'critical' information that is neither new or critical. It's just the same old stuff packed in a way that will get clicks. People are still looking the buy or sell a new magic bullet to solve their weight and other problems they didn't know they had. It's the same old mundane nothing that does not match up to the hype.

First world problems.

Good luck on your repairs.

Tek

Posted (edited)

Thanks! I am hoping it works... my whole abdominal wall is atrophied and my "guts" just hanging out (but still inside) so my belly is lopsided. It will be nice to have my insides back inside again...lol....

Edited by JerkyGirl

hi Christine.

I find the reverse is just as true too. Where the most commonly experienced effects of surgery just aren’t shared with patients by their team. How many post do we see from people upset, depressed & frustrated about stalls, Hair loss, foamies, etc. Though I know there could be things missed simply because there is so, so much information we’re given & have to absorb.

I do advocate sticking to the plan given to you by your team but we know there is no one size fits all (in life, clothing or plans). If something isn’t working for you, ask for alternatives, other options or suggestions as to what you can do or eat or drink, etc. Take suggestions & experiences people offer here & ask your team if you could try them. They’re supposed to know you & are best placed to advise what will support you without compromising your recovery or progress.

Hope your upcoming surgery is successful & everything is put back to where it’s supposed to be.

PS - Fellow teacher here too - well was one of my careers. What year levels or subjects did you teach? Congrats on your retirement.

I taught Kindergarten for 23 years, first for 5 years & also technology for 5 years.... a total of 33 years. But in this order.... 1st/K/1st/TRT/K