Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Healthy food expense

Hi everyone, has anyone noticed that everything has risen in prices even the organic products and unhealthy foods too, why is the economy so bad >

36 minutes ago, Rose perez said:

Hi everyone, has anyone noticed that everything has risen in prices even the organic products and unhealthy foods too, why is the economy so bad >

Airfare and hotels: 36% and 31%, since April 2021

Gas is up 22%

Electricity and piped gas are up 21% and 26%, respectively

and if you pay rent; its up 20% in the last two years.

Because of all the above the cost of food has gone up 20% since April 2021.Prices have increased year over year since 2021.

No comment as to the "why" of it.

3 minutes ago, Rose perez said:

Yeah but mostly recently is that all food increased in cost

I've noticed the economy and prices have been bad for 3 years, I'm not sure why you're just now noticing it...

I never said i didn't notice, i mean unhealthy foods are also expensive now, before only usually healthy or organic foods were very expensive

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, Rose perez said:

I never said i didn't notice, i mean unhealthy foods are also expensive now, before only usually healthy or organic foods were very expensive

Probably because the cost of gas, storage, transport, fertilizers, ..everything..etc..eventually has to be passed onto consumers.

Edited by BlondePatriotInCDA

Prices have always gone up. A price increase in one area drives the price up in another.It’s an accumulative cycle. Consider how a price increase in electricity affects the cost a business incurs just in keeping their doors open. So they raise their prices to offset the more they pay for electricity. Then wages go up because people are struggling to pay their electricity bill. Wages go up so employers have to increase their prices to compensate for the wage increase. The wages go up for the electricity companies too so they increase their charges and prices go up again.

Recently in Australia, the government bought in a wage increase that anyone working a public holiday is paid triple time (up from double time). Consequently, nothing is open today Good Friday (except churches) because they simply can’t afford to pay their staff if they open. The fall out is greater though. Weekly sales are down so they may have to offset this with an increase in charges in some items because they still have costs. The shop is closed but they still are using electricity (refrigeration, lighting, security, etc.). They still pay rent or rates on the property for the day they’re closed. They still pay insurance on the property & product. There may lose product (food going bad). Casual workers aren’t paid for days they don’t work, so less income coming into those households for the week. Some businesses also have to pay a payroll tax here. If your payroll (wages) is higher than a certain amount you are taxed. So wages go up, you pay more tax & consequently increase the cost of your product or service.

And they’re usually percentage increases so as the years pass and prices go up the percentage increase is greater.

And round and round it goes.

Here endth my lesson on this Holy day. LOL!

19 hours ago, Arabesque said:

Prices have always gone up. A price increase in one area drives the price up in another.It’s an accumulative cycle. Consider how a price increase in electricity affects the cost a business incurs just in keeping their doors open. So they raise their prices to offset the more they pay for electricity. Then wages go up because people are struggling to pay their electricity bill. Wages go up so employers have to increase their prices to compensate for the wage increase. The wages go up for the electricity companies too so they increase their charges and prices go up again.

Recently in Australia, the government bought in a wage increase that anyone working a public holiday is paid triple time (up from double time). Consequently, nothing is open today Good Friday (except churches) because they simply can’t afford to pay their staff if they open. The fall out is greater though. Weekly sales are down so they may have to offset this with an increase in charges in some items because they still have costs. The shop is closed but they still are using electricity (refrigeration, lighting, security, etc.). They still pay rent or rates on the property for the day they’re closed. They still pay insurance on the property & product. There may lose product (food going bad). Casual workers aren’t paid for days they don’t work, so less income coming into those households for the week. Some businesses also have to pay a payroll tax here. If your payroll (wages) is higher than a certain amount you are taxed. So wages go up, you pay more tax & consequently increase the cost of your product or service.

And they’re usually percentage increases so as the years pass and prices go up the percentage increase is greater.

And round and round it goes.

Here endth my lesson on this Holy day. LOL!

Exactly.

Yep, gonna keep my opinion to myself about the "why" the economy is so bad right now, and even over the last 3ish years. Not gonna go there on here lol

But one thing I've noticed for YEARS now is that healthy and organic foods have always cost more. It seems to have gotten worse lately, but that contributes to why people tend to consume unhealthy foods. It's cheaper, easier to purchase, more accessible, and have better sales and catchy advertising and flavors. Why healthy foods are always so expensive, I don't know. It's horrible and unfair, but it is what it is.

8 minutes ago, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

Why healthy foods are always so expensive, I don't know. It's horrible and unfair, but it is what it is.

basically, "healthy" foods are more expensive to produce and distribute, as well as have a much shorter shelf life than the processed stuff.

Don’t forget you’ll be eating a lot less so your food bill won’t be as high. And you won’t be buying as many or any treats (chips, sweets, carbonated drinks, etc.) any more. Another saving.