Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am about 4 months post op and for some reason I have gotten off track.. I don't know if it is because I am free to eat anything so I am pushing my limits with sweets, my gym time is getting less and less, I am forgetting my Vitamins. Things are getting out of control quickly... please tell me I am not the only one that this is happening too.. I honestly had no idea that this would be like a full time job keeping track of everything.. Tonight I get back control of this but man this is way harder then I thought it would be...

It sounds like maybe you would benefit from a stricter routine. At least, I know I tend to flounder when I am just let loose without many rules. If I have to figure out what to do every day and each day is different, I get totally off track with stuff. But when I get into a routine, it's way easier. I haven't gotten off track yet simply by virtue of not being able to eat very much right now, but I know that establishing habits and routines is the most important thing for me to do before I get to the point where I could.

Here are some suggestions, just in case they help!

• Put your full week's worth of Vitamins in a weekly pill case (I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C6XZN1YH). It's especially helpful if you get the kind where you can take the day's box with you for those later in the day doses like Calcium.
  • Make the same thing for Breakfast and lunch every day, or have a rotation of things you can do that are all close to the same in Protein value. Plan a dozen dinners that are also roughly the same in protein. Add them up and make sure any breakfast, lunch, and dinner chosen from your repertoire will hit your protein goal. If not, plan for a snack or two in the same way.
  • Don't eat things that are not nutrient dense, and if you do have a treat on occasion, make sure you're limiting yourself to once a month, not once a day! (And if you happen to love chocolate, consider this for one of your daily calcium supplements: https://procarenow.com/products/calcium-dark-chocolate-500mg-calcium-500-iu-vitamin-d)
  • Consider getting something like the Portion Perfection plates and meal prep containers if you struggle with portion size
  • Buy a bariatric cookbook to help with food choices and portions
  • Put your gym or exercise time on your calendar and treat it like you would a doctor's appointment (I struggle with this so much)
  • Or, if you hate the gym, choose exercises you'll actually look forward to. Going to a gym is not a requirement but moving your body is.
  • Put all your reminders for vitamins, mealtime, snack time, and exercise time in your phone so you get reminders

Thank you NickelChip for these ideas. I'm also having trouble. I asked my surgeon if my sugar addiction was going to be a problem after surgery and he said "no". Since I had the sleeve, I don't get dumping syndrome when I eat sugary things. I start over every morning, every afternoon, and every evening - lol. Because of back pain, I hadn't been able to walk very often, but I've been trying to get around the neighborhood a 1-2 times a day on the days I work from home. I want to get serious with weight loss so that my pain will lessen. I know sugar is an inflammatory agent - but, sugar addiction is real. brandycsiz we can do it!

I dose out my Vitamins for a whole month at a time using these pill cases: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08QR78YP3 Sometimes you can find them (or a similar brand) with a coupon for a bit more off, but honestly they are cheap enough to get 4 and still not break the bank. Start with 1 or 2 though until you know you like them. I love how colorful they are, it helps me not lose them when I carry around the day's doses. Then I set a medication reminder (iphones have this in the health section, but you can get apps for it too). I have to take vitamins and meds 4 times a day, so doing this really helps me remember to take them and to not get behind.

Finding movement you enjoy is important. Gyms aren't necessary and for many of us they hold a lot of negative associations. If you love the gym then disregard this suggestion, but if you don't, you might be much more likely to do an exercise that actually feels GOOD in your body to do.

Also, I carry Protein Snacks with me at all times. And when I get off track and forget, I stop at a store or gas station to get little packets of nuts and Jerky, instead of stopping at a fast food place or eating a bunch of simple carbs. I keep reminding myself that just because I'm cleared for "all foods" does not mean that "all foods" are "right now" foods. Some things are not for us in this first 18 months, even if we can technically digest them fine. When I relax into that awareness and get myself back into ketosis, I usually feel better and stop craving simple carbs so much. Except for chocolate. I will always want chocolate. LOL

It’s not only a full time job but a lifetime job. I found eating & drinking to a routine very helpful while losing & maintaining. I still watch what I eat (nutrients & calories) & how much I eat. I know I can’t eat whatever I want otherwise I’ll be back where I started. Of course I have more flexibility now in regard to certain foods & how much & how often I have them.

Some great suggestions from the others. You can start by slowly incorporating a couple every week or two & see how you go.

While you are still losing it’s very important to stick closely to your eating plan. Though I would question a plan that says you can eat whatever you like at 4 months. Maybe go back to your dietician and ask for more guidance around your food choices, & ideas for ingredients or cooking styles you can swap in or incorporate.

Also you may find speaking with a therapist helpful. Many do. A therapist will help you work through your eating & relationship with food, what drives you to eat, support you develop strategies to manage challenges like cravings.

You can do this.

This is something that never stops. You have to watch what you eat, how much you eat, how often you eat. You have to move your body more. Prioritize Protein first, then veggies, then carbs, then healthy fats. Fluid intake never stops. You have to get 64oz at least. Avoid the slider foods, avoid grazing. Cut the salt. And switch to sugar free and no sugar added sweets if you really can't stay away from them (I have never been a big sweets person. I'm not even a huge fan of chocolate). This is something I would thing your surgeon and nutritionist would have gone over with you before you had the surgery. This isn't a magic cure all. It's a tool to use to get your weight and health where it needs to be.

On 3/27/2024 at 12:20 PM, brandycsiz said:

I am about 4 months post op and for some reason I have gotten off track.. I don't know if it is because I am free to eat anything so I am pushing my limits with sweets, my gym time is getting less and less, I am forgetting my Vitamins. Things are getting out of control quickly... please tell me I am not the only one that this is happening too.. I honestly had no idea that this would be like a full time job keeping track of everything.. Tonight I get back control of this but man this is way harder then I thought it would be...

I'm the same way, one little off step for me is a slippery mountain. Knowing this I am very regimented, I have a schedule/routine for taking my Vitamins etc., it becomes muscle memory for me that way. One "just this time" and I start sliding full clip.

Unfortunately, it IS a full time job, but as the saying goes the best for your future is to be your own boss - you never get rich working for others. Work towards your health and future. This is how I put myself on a routine:

1. Purchased a "Hidrate Spark" (water bottle that lights up to remind me to drink with an app to track and also remind me) annoying but it helps.

2. Purchased a 4 times a day 7 days a week Vitamin container that I have set up with reminders on my phone I put right next to my coffeemaker. I used Velcro to attach it to my phone case. Its always with me.

3. A picture of myself on my frig/cabinets at my heaviest to remind me why.

4. Remove ALL temptations from the house. My husband wants junk food he goes out.

Lastly, I hate hate working out so I purchased a weight vest and weight gloves which I wear all the time as I'm cleaning, walking etc. I also, IF I want a "treat" (Yasso Greek yogurt ice cream bar) or a no sugar fudgcicle I do some squats, leg lifts before I treat myself etc..

Just remember its baby steps, if I deny myself all at once I become resentful and angry. So, start with one improvement and do it consistently until you no longer have to remind yourself or you do it regularly then add the next health improvement to your routine. If I can do it, YOU can do it. I come from an entire family of smackers and grazers who are all thin - I recognize its a battle, unfortunately now its a lifetime battle and I finally decided being thin is soooooooo much better than being fat so I strap on my warrior armor and do what I have to do.

Ask yourself what YOU want out of life and win the battle - period!

How are things going now? Have you gotten yourself back on track?