Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve Veteran researching revision to SADI



Recommended Posts

I had gastric sleeve 3/9/2021 and I lose quite a bit of weight but as soon as the hunger came back I started gaining and didn’t stop. I recently revisited the surgeon and he thinks I may be a good candidate for the SADI. I am trying to research but I am not finding alot if good information about anything except the scary statistics. am hoping to find someone who had this procedure or has at least heard of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there have been people on here who had the SADI (some might still be on here). It's sort of an altered, new-fangled version of the DS. There would be more potential complications with that than with the RNY or VSG, because it's a more complicated surgery, but on the other hand, I think that like the others, major complications aren't that common. And like with all the WLS surgeries, you'll hear about horror stories because people are much more likely to post when they have problems than if everything is hunky-dory. It's because they're usually looking for support or advice.

one thing to think about is that regular (PCP) physicians are all pretty familiar with the RNY and sleeve since they're so common, but you might come across some who aren't familiar with the SADI - so if you have issues in the future, you MAY have to see a specialist, but then that might not be a big deal for you. On the plus side, people tend to lose more weight (and maintain their loss more easily) with that one than the sleeve and RNY, so there's that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

there have been people on here who had the SADI (some might still be on here). It's sort of an altered, new-fangled version of the DS. There would be more potential complications with that than with the RNY or VSG, because it's a more complicated surgery, but on the other hand, I think that like the others, major complications aren't that common. And like with all the WLS surgeries, you'll hear about horror stories because people are much more likely to post when they have problems than if everything is hunky-dory. It's because they're usually looking for support or advice.

one thing to think about is that regular (PCP) physicians are all pretty familiar with the RNY and sleeve since they're so common, but you might come across some who aren't familiar with the SADI - so if you have issues in the future, you MAY have to see a specialist, but then that might not be a big deal for you. On the plus side, people tend to lose more weight (and maintain their loss more easily) with that one than the sleeve and RNY, so there's that.

Thanks. I never thought about the PCP not knowing as much about it. My PCP is a PA and she is younger so there is a higher likelihood she has at least learned about it while in school but that’s definitely something to consider. I think I am due for blood work soon, I may just schedule to actually see her and see what she has to say about the procedure in general (it can’t hurt).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Duplicate post

Edited by ShoppGirl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

duplicate post

Edited by ShoppGirl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out Fluscheeitaway on IG. She had the SADI 2 years ago and her husband had it as well a few months back. She also recently started a podcast with her bariatric surgeon so that might be a good source of information. It definitely isn't as common as the sleeve and bypass since it's a bit newer and not all insurances cover it, but I have heard it is slightly easier to go from a sleeve to the SADI since they may not have to resleeve you just reroute the rest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Shanna NYC said:

Check out Fluscheeitaway on IG. She had the SADI 2 years ago and her husband had it as well a few months back. She also recently started a podcast with her bariatric surgeon so that might be a good source of information. It definitely isn't as common as the sleeve and bypass since it's a bit newer and not all insurances cover it, but I have heard it is slightly easier to go from a sleeve to the SADI since they may not have to resleeve you just reroute the rest.

Thanks. I will check her out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Catwoman, you prompted me to make an appointment with my PCP. I figure she can answer some questions and I can figure out what she knows about the procedure before I god forbid have any issues. and Shanna NYC I am not super social media savvy but I did see pictures that I assume are along her journey. That’s amazing progress. I also think I found her podcast the skinny truth. Fingers crossed my journey will be similar to hers. I will be checking out her podcast as well. Thank you both for your suggestions.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi ShoppGirl, I replied to you in the DS forum. You'll probably find the answers you need in the Facebook group I'm in. It says it is for the Duodenal Switch, but we also have plenty of SADI patients in the group and we have veterans of both surgeries in there. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1799552573392212 I highly suggest joining that group and posting your questions.

Regarding gas, yes, the SADI can have gas issues if you eat too many simple carbs. And eating too much junk food may make your bathroom visits rather unpleasant. I had the DS done about 4.5 months ago and I don't usually have any gas issues and my bathroom visits are pretty normal except my stools are pale colored now due to the fat malabsorption (perfectly normal). But I stay below 50 total carbs per day and eat about 120 grams of Protein a day and about 100 grams of fat. With the SADI or DS surgery you are more focused on your macros than calories because we malabsorb a portion of everything but simple carbs.

If you keep your carbs low after the SADI you will lose weight better and maintain weight better...and you should minimize the side effects. You'd also want to stay away from sugar alcohols and you might find that some foods digest differently, like lettuce or other leafy greens. Usually most SADI or DS patients learn within the first year what their trigger foods are and learn to eat them at home at night or not at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, ChunkCat said:

Hi ShoppGirl, I replied to you in the DS forum. You'll probably find the answers you need in the Facebook group I'm in. It says it is for the Duodenal Switch, but we also have plenty of SADI patients in the group and we have veterans of both surgeries in there. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1799552573392212 I highly suggest joining that group and posting your questions.

Regarding gas, yes, the SADI can have gas issues if you eat too many simple carbs. And eating too much junk food may make your bathroom visits rather unpleasant. I had the DS done about 4.5 months ago and I don't usually have any gas issues and my bathroom visits are pretty normal except my stools are pale colored now due to the fat malabsorption (perfectly normal). But I stay below 50 total carbs per day and eat about 120 grams of Protein a day and about 100 grams of fat. With the SADI or DS surgery you are more focused on your macros than calories because we malabsorb a portion of everything but simple carbs.

If you keep your carbs low after the SADI you will lose weight better and maintain weight better...and you should minimize the side effects. You'd also want to stay away from sugar alcohols and you might find that some foods digest differently, like lettuce or other leafy greens. Usually most SADI or DS patients learn within the first year what their trigger foods are and learn to eat them at home at night or not at all.

Hello ChunkCat. I don’t do Facebook but thanks for the suggestion. I am actually thinking that if eating bad is what causes the side effects and eating good does not it may be just want I need to keep myself on track. I need to definitely meet with the dietician a couple times to learn about the simple vs complex carbs and other macro stuff. I only focused on calories and Protein post sleeve and I’m sure that was half of my issue of why I gained it back. Do you have to take a lot of Vitamins post SADI or is it just a multi and Calcium like the sleeve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

Do you have to take a lot of Vitamins post SADI or is it just a multi and Calcium like the sleeve.

Yes, you have to take more Vitamins than you did with the Sleeve. The most common to supplement are a multi twice a day, Calcium 4-5 times a day in divided doses, and vitamins A, D, E, and K which your bariatric office will tell you to get in one ADEK supplement, but often you have to break down into the individual vitamins as labwork dictates, depending on your individual absorption. You'll have labs drawn several times the first year, then yearly afterwards to make sure you are getting enough vitamins and Iron. But yes, vitamins daily are a way of life for SADI patients. It is also smart to take a probiotic, and sometimes you need extra B1 or B12.

Learning about macros is important! I highly recommend tracking your food through the Baritastic app, it will track your macros for you. Don't be surprised if your dietician is useless about things. Sadly, a lot of dieticians don't understand the proper eating routines for a SADI or DS patient and will give you advice meant for a RNY or Sleeve patient. That is why support groups like the Facebook one are so important, because the veterans of these surgeries often know a lot more about them that the surgeon or dietician do.

I know a lot about the SADI because I considered it before going with the DS surgery. So ask whatever you want and I'll see if I can answer it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ChunkCat said:

Yes, you have to take more Vitamins than you did with the Sleeve. The most common to supplement are a multi twice a day, Calcium 4-5 times a day in divided doses, and Vitamins A, D, E, and K which your bariatric office will tell you to get in one ADEK supplement, but often you have to break down into the individual vitamins as labwork dictates, depending on your individual absorption. You'll have labs drawn several times the first year, then yearly afterwards to make sure you are getting enough vitamins and Iron. But yes, vitamins daily are a way of life for SADI patients. It is also smart to take a probiotic, and sometimes you need extra B1 or B12.

Learning about macros is important! I highly recommend tracking your food through the Baritastic app, it will track your macros for you. Don't be surprised if your dietician is useless about things. Sadly, a lot of dieticians don't understand the proper eating routines for a SADI or DS patient and will give you advice meant for a RNY or Sleeve patient. That is why support groups like the Facebook one are so important, because the veterans of these surgeries often know a lot more about them that the surgeon or dietician do.

I know a lot about the SADI because I considered it before going with the DS surgery. So ask whatever you want and I'll see if I can answer it!

Wow that’s a lot of vitamins. I guess like anything else it just takes getting down a routine to remember all that. If you don’t mind me asking how much do you spend on all those vitamins?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

Wow that’s a lot of Vitamins. I guess like anything else it just takes getting down a routine to remember all that. If you don’t mind me asking how much do you spend on all those vitamins?

I take a lot of vitamins, more than that list. My advice is to buy these containers, enough for a month, and dose out all your vitamins for the month. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08QR78YP3/

I spend about $200 every other month. You could do it a bit cheaper depending on the brands you buy (for instance, Citracal Petites are more cost effective than the bariatric calcium chews and both are Calcium citrate) and which ones you take. I take a lot because I had some deficiencies pre-op. But they all fit in those cases! I just grab my little container for the day and carry it around with me. I set alarms to remind me to take them. I put my meds in with the vitamins. The way I look at it, my junk food budget is now my Vitamin budget, and I feel a lot better taking those vitamins than I ever did eating junk food! LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ChunkCat said:

I take a lot of Vitamins, more than that list. My advice is to buy these containers, enough for a month, and dose out all your vitamins for the month. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08QR78YP3/

I spend about $200 every other month. You could do it a bit cheaper depending on the brands you buy (for instance, Citracal Petites are more cost effective than the bariatric calcium chews and both are Calcium citrate) and which ones you take. I take a lot because I had some deficiencies pre-op. But they all fit in those cases! I just grab my little container for the day and carry it around with me. I set alarms to remind me to take them. I put my meds in with the vitamins. The way I look at it, my junk food budget is now my Vitamin budget, and I feel a lot better taking those vitamins than I ever did eating junk food! LOL

That’s a really good way to look at it. Or that’s it’s an investment in what would have been future medical costs. I was thinking I would have to set alarms until I get into the swing of it. It’s good to know that they do fit in a little pill reminder too. Thank you so much for all of your time!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update. I just met with my PCP and it was a total waste of time in terms of getting my questions answered but it gave me more to think about. I mean I appreciate her honesty but she hadn’t even heard of the SADI procedure. She said in terms of whether I am fit for surgery or whether she thinks I am a candidate for bariatric surgery she can answer that and I am but in terms of which surgery is the best fit she would defer to the specialist. It kinda scares me a bit her not knowing much about it. Not that I can’t make a decision now without her just that what if I have a long term complication that’s surgery related and she doesn’t know it because she doesn’t known the surgery. I can just see me on a wild goose chase trying to get to an answer on something that someone familiar with the procedure would know about. I guess if I have a medical issue I can always ask her if it could be related to my surgery and she will search it online?? She said if I had any issues immediately post op we would call surgeon and ask if it could be related to surgery or if I should call my pcp but I don’t know if something happened say two years out whether she would realize if it was related to my altered anatomy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • jparadigm

      Happy Wednesday!
       
      I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

        Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

    • ChunkCat

      Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

        omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

      2. gracesmommy2

        Hope you’re doing well!

      3. NickelChip

        I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

    • jparadigm

      Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

      Having gall bladder surgery in a few days and I so hope the recovery is easier than the one from the modified DS! I could use a bit of luck/pep talk for a change. I'm starting to be able to walk around without experiencing dizziness, but it would be great if the random pain in my chest and abdomen would go away!!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Dawn 1974

      4/4/2024 - new patient orientation. Wt 313
      4/5/2024 - got all my lab work done.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×