Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Posted (edited)

Okay I am a second timer. I had gastric sleeve 3/9/21 and I gained it back. I am considering the SADI and I am looking for information about it. I have posted on the revision forums and the duodenal switch forum without response. Is this just a really rare procedure or am I posting in the wrong place? I worry that even if this is the right surgery for me I may regret it if I can’t find the support along the way because it is less common.

Edited by ShoppGirl

like the DS, it's not a common surgery - but in addition, it's also fairly new - which is probably why you haven't seen much about it. It supposedly as fewer complications than the DS (although it's sort of a new-fangled version of it)

19 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

like the DS, it's not a common surgery - but in addition, it's also fairly new - which is probably why you haven't seen much about it. It supposedly as fewer complications than the DS (although it's sort of a new-fangled version of it)

Yea. He said it’s definitely a more aggressive option than the bypass for revision with a few more risks but better weight loss for most people. I read somewhere that when you eat the wrong foods that it causes gas pain and bathroom issues which if that’s true I think as much as it would not be fun it may be just what I need to remind me to keep making the right choices. Also If I understood correctly it does more to reduce the hunger hormone which was definitely my biggest issue. From day one with the sleeve I was able to eat more than expected at every given stage. I just chose not to and that was easy while the hunger was gone but when it came back it came roaring back so I lost most of my weight and then gained it all back like a yo yo. In the beginning I was still eating all the right foods but I was starving so I ate more than I should have. I am really hoping that this procedure the hunger hormone remains less intense for good.

the malabsorption from it also helps - you won't absorb all the calories you eat (or the nutrients, either, so keeping on top of your supplements will be more important than ever..). I know some people with the DS get really gassy (and sometimes get loose stools) if they eat too many carbs - not sure if that's an issue with the SADI or not.

7 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

the malabsorption from it also helps - you won't absorb all the calories you eat (or the nutrients, either, so keeping on top of your supplements will be more important than ever..). I know some people with the DS get really gassy (and sometimes get loose stools) if they eat too many carbs - not sure if that's an issue with the SADI or not.

One site says that the gas and more frequent/ loose bowel movements are a little less than the DS but definitely an issue with the SADI and the gas can be quite stinky as well which is probably the biggest fear I have right now aside from the real scary risks.

I THINK the bathroom issues are just when you eat bad and if that’s the case that may actually help keep me on track because I obviously don’t want to have those issues. I have an appointment tomorrow morning with my family PA and that’s definitely a question I will be asking her if she knows.

I think the supplement question is more likely going to be one for the surgeon but I will ask her about that as well. I have until the end of next month when I meet with the surgeon to come up with a list of questions for him (whatever I can’t get answers for before then).

Thanks again and please Let me know if you think of anything else I should ask. Until yesterday morning hadn’t even heard of this procedure. At least I have a list of questions to start with now.