Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2024 Sleeve Surgery Buddies (Houston TX)

Posted (edited)

Hello ALL! Oh my gosh! Finally got approved it was a long ass journey! Is their any Texas peeps getting surgery in April?! In a way I'm mad I couldn't get disciplined enough to do it on my own, the other half is like take my whole stomach away 😂😂. I have type two diabetes and fatty liver, this is only a tool! I have to get this weight off!!! I can say Ozempic has had that sleeve feeling effect I can barely eat. It's a great drug and has aided in some of my weight loss pre surgery.

starting weight: 290

we shall see look forward to hearing from you all

IMG_2255.jpeg

Edited by Mspretty86
Spelling

Not having surgery in April...I had it Jan 24th. But I'm in the Houston area. Magnolia. Where are you? Good Luck!!

5 hours ago, Nan CC said:

Not having surgery in April...I had it Jan 24th. But I'm in the Houston area. Magnolia. Where are you? Good Luck!!

Hi I'm in the inner Houston Area! How did your surgery go? How's the food ? lol

4 hours ago, Mspretty86 said:

Beforehand I was really worried about what it was going to be like in the weeks after the surgery because I couldn't imagine being so limited. I couldn't imagine not caring about what I ate. But actually, I found it easier than I thought it was going to be. At first I wasn't hungry at all so I didn't care whether or not I ate, and sipping liquids was just fine. Natural hunger returned during the pureed food stage for me (it's different for everyone.) And then it was more about getting 2 oz. of something to satisfy the hunger and (far) less about what it was I ate. I guess that is the result of the vertical sleeve gastrectomy reducing the appetite hormones. Here's what I ate: Clear Liquids are obviously pretty limiting but I did Water, Protein water (check Amazon-I couldn't find it in the store), flavored water (like Crystal Light) and Jello. I didn't care about eating and wasn't hungry. For the full liquid portion, I continued with all of the above and added Protein Shakes, yogurt, cottage cheese, and milk. At the pureed stage, I couldn't bear the idea of pureeing up meat---so I stuck to all of the previous liquid and full liquid stuff and I added mashed sweet potato, refried Beans (recipe in The Gastric Sleeve Cookbook by Sarah Kent but any will do), banana, applesauce. I wasn't into cooking veggies and pureeing them, so I actually had some baby food vegetables with a little salt added for adult tastes. I also made egg salad with olive oil mayo and a little bit of dijon mustard and Tony Chachere's. I finely flaked up tuna fish and made tuna salad with olive oil mayo and a little bit of Pickle Juice for flavor. I tolerated that very well. I'm on soft food now and I find I can eat just about anything (except seeds or nuts) as long as it's soft. If it isn't something soft, I am chewing it up really well. I thought I'd have a hard time with that--before surgery I couldn't imagine chewing that much. But I'm finding that my body instinctively does it as it seems to have learned my new stomach won't tolerate it unless I do. On the 15th I will progress to a regular diet.

A long answer to your short question, but I was so anxious before surgery and I thought if you were too, some detailed information might be reassuring. You can do it!!

4 hours ago, Mspretty86 said:

Also, my surgery went well! I had the expected gas, which was no picnic. But after a couple days it was much better. I didn't need pain meds after the first day post op, although everyone is different. I haven't had any heartburn or nausea. I felt fine except for minor pain at the incision sites and soreness on my left side. I felt pretty good after about a week and still feel great!

44 minutes ago, Nan CC said:

Also, my surgery went well! I had the expected gas, which was no picnic. But after a couple days it was much better. I didn't need pain meds after the first day post op, although everyone is different. I haven't had any heartburn or nausea. I felt fine except for minor pain at the incision sites and soreness on my left side. I felt pretty good after about a week and still feel great!

Thanks that's is awesome! I laughed at the point when you said you couldent imagine "puréed" meats 😂😂😂. I always joke with my parents that when they get older and loose their teeth I'm going to purée their food (hilarious ). welp surgery on April 11th I'm preparing my mind. Growing up in. Southern family the mashed potatoes, bread, all those starches that I love will no longer be! But I'm trying to live a bit longer so I'll have to do what I have to do. Which Vitamins are you taking? Glad you healed well this the scary part. I hope my surgeon has a good nights rest lmao. I do not want any leaks haha.