Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded in 2008 new band 2014 now it's not doing anything so we are going to sleeve.

Nervous to say the least, my doctor is great but wants to do 2 surgery's. Removal then wait 2- 3 months and Sleeve.

385lbs in 2008 lost 100lbs first yr then blow it out and removed. Banded again in 2014 only lost 35-40lbs, now 390lbs.

I know these are tools but how different will the Sleeve be then the Band.

My understanding is that they do cut the part of stomach that sends hungry signal to brain.

What should I expect in terms of the feeling between the two?

Did your surgeon discuss Gastric Bypass or the SADI or Duodenal Switch with you? With your starting weight, you might want something that gives you more than the restriction of the sleeve. Especially if you only lost 100 lbs with the band... All three of those surgeries have varying degrees of malabsorption which help you lose weight for longer and the SADI and DS are usually used in patients with a high BMI. But, not every surgeon is trained to do these surgeries. If your surgeon didn't offer them to you, I'd highly recommend finding a surgeon that will. The convo is worth it.

Unfortunately I can't comment on how the sleeve feels vs the band, since I never had the band. I have a sleeved stomach (as well as rerouted small intestines) and for the most part it feels normal. Do NOT believe anyone who tells you that you won't be hungry post op. Some are lucky enough to lose their hunger for the first year, a few lose it permanently, but some of us never lose it at all. I woke up in recovery hungry and boy was I mad! LOL But my surgeon had warned me that not everyone loses hunger. The portion of the stomach that is cut out contributes to a number of hormones that can affect hunger and satiety... The rerouting of the intestines that the Gastric Bypass, SADI, and Duodenal Switch do controls a whole host of hormones too, some different than the ones in the stomach, this is why these surgeries are more effective at helping with comorbidities like diabetes and high blood pressure, and why they are a bit more effective for higher BMI patients.

Great information! I will ask again since surgery was delayed for 2 months. I was concerned about certain limitations with other procedures with medications I take and other negative side effects. Back in 2008 I was so opposed to even the band at that time and wanted the least evasive procedure.

I will do a little more research and ask, I do have some time due to having 2 procedures, (1) Removal and heal (2) ? sleeve, SADI, GB etc.

To be honest if I loss 100lbs I will be so happy and just pray I can keep it off, it's a realistic number and my doctor agrees. Of course we all want to be at ideal weight but to loss 100lbs off my knees would be great. I'm 59 and 6'1 so I can live with that number.

Thanks so much.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches