Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2024 Surgery Buddies?

3 hours ago, BlueParis said:

Hows everyone getting on ? I'm abroad at a conference as so can't weigh myself - but I'm exhausted and struggling with all meals being communal. I'm feeling slightly miserable to be honest. My cysitis has sort of calmed down but I'm struggling to drink more than 2 liters (68oz) a day and from past experience I know thats the only way I will be able to get rid of my Water infection....

Sorry to hear about the struggles. Only issues I'm having so far is how slow my weight loss has been since surgery. I'm going to eat two meals and add Protein Soups and shakes for my other meal and Snacks. I've been getting at least 1000 calories and 100 grams of protein a day. Along with doing exercise daily. My Dr said it's expected to lose slow. Just seems odd to me.

44 minutes ago, RonHall908 said:

Sorry to hear about the struggles. Only issues I'm having so far is how slow my weight loss has been since surgery. I'm going to eat two meals and add Protein Soups and shakes for my other meal and Snacks. I've been getting at least 1000 calories and 100 grams of Protein a day. Along with doing exercise daily. My Dr said it's expected to lose slow. Just seems odd to me.

I’m not counting macros calories or even protein - I just know I’m eating not a lot - even if I’m having to eat out for every meal I’m trying to make good choices and eat protein first - I think I’m way way off 100g of protein a day though! My doctors did say not to stress the protein too too much though and aim for about 80g most days. I’ll be back in Paris to weigh myself for my 2 month surgerversary but haven’t been able to weigh myself since last Wednesday which was 6.5 weeks post surgery - I’d lost 12.5kg which is 27.5lbs - I’m happy enough with that as I had a lower starting weight. I have another 20 pounds to loose to hit a healthy BMI but I know things will slow down weigh loss wise fast for me and I’d like to loose another 44lbs total to be back at my pre Covid happy/non near constant leg pain weight.
it’s hard not having access to scales here and not being able to walk as much as I’d like because Cairo at night isn’t the safest place for solo female walks at night and I’m basically screwed to a chair in a conference center from 9-5 and night falls here at 6.15pm !

5 minutes ago, BlueParis said:

I’m not counting macros calories or even Protein - I just know I’m eating not a lot - even if I’m having to eat out for every meal I’m trying to make good choices and eat protein first - I think I’m way way off 100g of protein a day though! My doctors did say not to stress the protein too too much though and aim for about 80g most days. I’ll be back in Paris to weigh myself for my 2 month surgerversary but haven’t been able to weigh myself since last Wednesday which was 6.5 weeks post surgery - I’d lost 12.5kg which is 27.5lbs - I’m happy enough with that as I had a lower starting weight. I have another 20 pounds to loose to hit a healthy BMI but I know things will slow down weigh loss wise fast for me and I’d like to loose another 44lbs total to be back at my pre Covid happy/non near constant leg pain weight.
it’s hard not having access to scales here and not being able to walk as much as I’d like because Cairo at night isn’t the safest place for solo female walks at night and I’m basically screwed to a chair in a conference center from 9-5 and night falls here at 6.15pm !

I try to get more than 90 g of protein and less than 40 g of carbs. That's the range my dietitian wanted time to be at. Calories don't matter, I mention it as a guide. They just wanted the protein and carbs. I log what I eat and drink everyday on the Baritastic app. The dietician can also see what I log as well.

Posted (edited)

Ooof. Had my 6-week post-op appointment today and it felt a little like the Spanish Inquisition - my days vary so much that it was very hard to explain what my meals look like! (Mostly, frankly, I hate eating, so it's not a highlight of my day.)

They finally satisfied themselves that I really have been drinking enough Water and having enough Protein and few enough carbs, though, so it went pretty well. All the bits seem to function. Only issue we're both concerned about is that my exhaustion levels are pretty high, especially if I try to exercise, so the doctor was like, "go have some carbs already!"

After how hard they drilled into me not to eat them, the idea sounded pretty foreign, Not like they want me to go ham or anything, but just to eat half a piece of whole wheat bread (whole wheat bread here is pretty serious) with some protein on it before I exercise or something.

Tried it this afternoon and it was like someone had flipped a switch on XD

Also put on a dress that I haven't worn for 8 years thinking it was going to still be too small.

IT LOOKS LIKE A TENT. Had to give in and actually admit I need new clothes XD

Hope everyone else's week is going well...

Edited by kissabeth

On 3/22/2024 at 3:39 PM, NickelChip said:

Here is my 4-week post-op update:

Highest weight: 251

Start of 2 week pre-op diet weight: 238

Day before surgery weight: 226

Today's weight: 214.8

I had a stall that began exactly at the 3-week post-surgery mark and lasted 7 days. Below are photos taken before surgery and this morning.

Weight Comparison 3.22.24.png

:) Well done!

Posted (edited)

15 minutes ago, kissabeth said:

Ooof. Had my 6-week post-op appointment today and it felt a little like the Spanish Inquisition - my days vary so much that it was very hard to explain what my meals look like! (Mostly, frankly, I hate eating, so it's not a highlight of my day.)

They finally satisfied themselves that I really have been drinking enough Water and having enough Protein and few enough carbs, though, so it went pretty well. All the bits seem to function. Only issue we're both concerned about is that my exhaustion levels are pretty high, especially if I try to exercise, so the doctor was like, "go have some carbs already!"

After how hard they drilled into me not to eat them, the idea sounded pretty foreign, Not like they want me to go ham or anything, but just to eat half a piece of whole wheat bread (whole wheat bread here is pretty serious) with some Protein on it before I exercise or something.

Tried it this afternoon and it was like someone had flipped a switch on XD

Also put on a dress that I haven't worn for 8 years thinking it was going to still be too small.

IT LOOKS LIKE A TENT. Had to give in and actually admit I need new clothes XD

Hope everyone else's week is going well...

My dietician wanted me to get at least 90g of protein a day and 30g or less carbs. My energy has been sapped as well. But I also work 55-60 hours a week. So that doesn't help much along with getting in some exercise daily. So, I've been getting in 40-45 g of carbs and that seemed to help some. But I've also had no more than 100 grams.of caffiene every couple days. I use the baritastic app and log everything. It's helps a lot. My dietician can log in and see what I've been doing. She hasn't said anything, but I also don't have an appointment with her until next month. I think my issues are getting enough Vitamins and minerals. My hair used to grow very fast, now it doesn't. I take three Multivitamins a day and two B-complex vitamins. Along with calcium chews. I also have an appointment with the bariatric center where I had the surgery. I'm certain they will have another round of blood tests to see if I have any deficiencies. Sorry this was a book. 😁

Edited by RonHall908

31 minutes ago, RonHall908 said:

My dietician wanted me to get at least 90g of Protein a day and 30g or less carbs. My energy has been sapped as well. But I also work 55-60 hours a week. So that doesn't help much along with getting in some exercise daily. So, I've been getting in 40-45 g of carbs and that seemed to help some. But I've also had no more than 100 grams.of caffiene every couple days. I use the baritastic app and log everything. It's helps a lot. My dietician can log in and see what I've been doing. She hasn't said anything, but I also don't have an appointment with her until next month. I think my issues are getting enough Vitamins and minerals. My hair used to grow very fast, now it doesn't. I take three Multivitamins a day and two B-complex Vitamins. Along with calcium chews. I also have an appointment with the bariatric center where I had the surgery. I'm certain they will have another round of blood tests to see if I have any deficiencies. Sorry this was a book. 😁

I think we all have books to write right now :) The vitamins/minerals are tough - I swallow a daily horsepill along with Calcium tablets, and I only had my first blood work today, so we'll see where this goes.

Hope all is OK with you when they check up - fortunately, at least they can see what we lack and help fix it!

April has been the month of stalls for me. I was stuck at 210.6 for 4 days, dropped to 208.8, and then stayed there for 4 days. Finally inched down to 208.4 yesterday and 208.0 today. Only losing 3 pounds in 10 days when I had been on track to lose closer to 5 is frustrating to say the least! The closer I get to being below 200, the more the universe wants to mess with me, apparently.

But on an unrelated note, I drove to see the total eclipse in Vermont on Monday and it was amazing! Thank goodness for stopping to get some Vermont cheddar on the drive because healthy food options were scarce. I actually ended up eating McDonald's chicken nuggets for lunch. I managed to eat two of them, and they were okay, but I have no idea how I used to eat a box of 10 plus fries. Next time I venture out, I'm going to need to pack food for myself.

7 minutes ago, NickelChip said:

April has been the month of stalls for me. I was stuck at 210.6 for 4 days, dropped to 208.8, and then stayed there for 4 days. Finally inched down to 208.4 yesterday and 208.0 today. Only losing 3 pounds in 10 days when I had been on track to lose closer to 5 is frustrating to say the least! The closer I get to being below 200, the more the universe wants to mess with me, apparently.

But on an unrelated note, I drove to see the total eclipse in Vermont on Monday and it was amazing! Thank goodness for stopping to get some Vermont cheddar on the drive because healthy food options were scarce. I actually ended up eating McDonald's chicken nuggets for lunch. I managed to eat two of them, and they were okay, but I have no idea how I used to eat a box of 10 plus fries. Next time I venture out, I'm going to need to pack food for myself.

The stalls keep hitting me as well. Losing weight after Gastric bypass is a lot slower than I expected. Only fast food I've ate was grilled chicken nuggest from chic-fil-A and chicken Protein bowl from subway. Both last a couple meals. Instead.of trying to eat any meal. I just eat a few bites of protein and veggies. At 4-5 times a day.

22 minutes ago, NickelChip said:

I only weigh once a week, and it's been slow going the past few weeks. But as long as I'm losing, I think I'm ok with it. I was told to expect stalls around this time. The hard thing for me is waiting a week to step on the scale. We have been away for 5 days at the beach. That's always been a big eating event for me. This has been quite different. We only ate out 2 times... one Breakfast and one dinner. It was uneventful... not the wonderful experience it used to be.

Happy to read everyones progress! I

@LisaCaryl I feel you I'm still in Cairo so haven't weighed yet... I have no idea if I've lost at all this week or stalled or gained. Ramadan is over now so it'll be back to getting lunch normally etc, but I'm not sure it'll be a joy like it used too... even though I love the food from north africa to the middle east. Also Bit freaked that I have another week until I can weigh myself.

@kissabeth It's so amazing to fit back into old clothes isn't it! Well done you. And well done for making it through the interrogation.

@RonHall908 I know how depressing the stalls are ... but you've already lost over 100 pounds ... thats amazing I mean thats like the average weight of a 13 year old ... you've lost the équivalant of a teenager!

@NickelChip How was the eclipse?

4 hours ago, NickelChip said:

I’ve only managed to lose 4lbs since my stall. It’s discouraging! I’ve lost 28lbs since my surgery but I’m ready to start losing again. I still throw up once in awhile. I’m going to ask my surgeon about it when I finally get my post op appt. She was out on the day they had scheduled me so I’ve been put off til the 25th. Other than that just trudging along right now.

@BlueParis The eclipse was so incredible. I went with a friend and my two teen daughters. We were all impressed beyond belief by the totality. But it was a very rural area and the small roads couldn't handle the traffic leaving the area all at once so it took 7 hours to drive home instead of 3.5. I counted myself lucky to get chicken nuggets. Stopping for a real meal (the original plan) was out of the question with the crowds.

@Noelle74 The stalls are frustrating for sure. I know I could stop weighing myself daily, but at this point I am enjoying having a record since I do it in a smart scale app. I think it'll be worth it being able to look back later and remind myself of how it went. But I'm at 7 weeks post-op today and would love to see the scale shift a bit before the 8 week mark. I'm only down 17lbs since surgery. I've also had some incidents of throwing up. It seems to be when I eat too fast or don't chew enough.

46 minutes ago, NickelChip said:

@BlueParis The eclipse was so incredible. I went with a friend and my two teen daughters. We were all impressed beyond belief by the totality. But it was a very rural area and the small roads couldn't handle the traffic leaving the area all at once so it took 7 hours to drive home instead of 3.5. I counted myself lucky to get chicken nuggets. Stopping for a real meal (the original plan) was out of the question with the crowds.

@Noelle74 The stalls are frustrating for sure. I know I could stop weighing myself daily, but at this point I am enjoying having a record since I do it in a smart scale app. I think it'll be worth it being able to look back later and remind myself of how it went. But I'm at 7 weeks post-op today and would love to see the scale shift a bit before the 8 week mark. I'm only down 17lbs since surgery. I've also had some incidents of throwing up. It seems to be when I eat too fast or don't chew enough.

That’s awesome you got to see the eclipse. I’m in Kansas so we didn’t get a total. My little nervous Nelly 10yr old did not want to look at it because she was scared she would go blind. I finally convinced her to look once at 1/2 and once when it was as close to total as western Kansas got to see. We didn’t travel to see it but we did travel last weekend. I try to eat Protein when we go out so eggs lol. Whatever it is it has eggs. I never have issues throwing up when we eat out so it is definitely an issue with not chewing enough or swallowing too soon. I get sidetracked at home.

1 hour ago, Noelle74 said:

Whatever it is it has eggs.

Haha, me too! I've been out to breakfast twice and both times I had eggs. One time I ordered one egg scrambled with sausage, hold the toast. The other time I went with a friend and she ordered the big breakfast special that had pancakes, eggs, sausage, home fries, and toast. She gave me the eggs and sausage and ate the rest. We both had leftovers from a meal intended for one person! I also went to a NY style deli in CT last week and ordered the smoked whitefish salad appetizer. It was perfect! I ate half at the table and took the rest with me to eat a couple hours later. I was slightly sad to decline the offer of their fresh rye bread, but no way could I eat it.