Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2024 Surgery Buddies?

Posted (edited)

Thanks @LisaCaryl @NickelChip @RonHall908 For your support yesterday ... t'was a very angry day for me because it bought up a lot of the disregard I've had to deal with these last few years because of my weight!

Today is a better day. I'm just off to meet my physio ... who will no doubt make me do squats but who also emailed last night that he'd found a list of fat friendly doctors in my area for me ...

Also I'm a metric girl... and I've hit below 80kg - I'm 79.6kg this morning (175.1lbs) ... and breaking that 80's barrier hasn't happened for me since 2021 so I'm very encouraged this morning.

also I took liquid Iron the parmacist reccomended no problem at all... and she mentionned my visible weightloss in a very chic, discreet and also commercially savy way ... bascially asked me if I wanted to get myself a new lip gloss or Shampoo at the pharmacy too... I asked her why and she said with a smile "to congratulate yourself on these little changes you seem to be making" . She won, I got an expensive pharmacy face cream... 🙂

Do you folks have very dry skin? Mine is really not great at all... especially my legs.

Edited by BlueParis

On 1/2/2024 at 5:53 PM, NickelChip said:

After having my surgery cancelled last month due to the abrupt closure of my hospital's bariatric practice, I have a new date at another hospital in the area and can hardly wait for the time to fly by. I'm scheduled for gastric bypass on February 21. Any other February peeps out there?

11 hours ago, BlueParis said:

Do you folks have very dry skin? Mine is really not great at all... especially my legs.

In my line of work, I've always had to use lotion. Mainly on my hands, arms and Face. But I apply on my lower legs as well. I've had cellulitis (infection of the skin) a few times over the past 8+ years. Ever since, they seem to be really dry. But I haven't noticed any more than usual.

@BlueParis My skin has been so dry! I've been using more lotion than usual and my hands still feel like sandpaper. Maybe because I barely eat any fat right now? I'm not convinced the advice for non-fat milk and yogurt makes sense right now because I basically get no fat when all I'm having is Protein Powder and dairy.

On 1/6/2024 at 1:19 PM, ToucanSam said:

February

February 26th for me!

February 26th for me!

February 26th for me!

My surgery was February 2nd. 8 weeks post-op & it's been so much more overwhelming than I thought! food hurts going down & feels like rocks are piling up in my stomach. This is only 3-4 very small bites, well chewed, approved foods that are moist, eating slowly & no drinking Water with meals. Sometimes I'm in terrible pain! Even water feels like it's backing up. My doctor scheduled me for an endoscopy Wednesday thinking I might have a stricture & possibly an ulcer. My stomach still hurts more than I thought it would in certain areas. Can anyone else relate? I thought I was very well prepared for this surgery but gosh!

1 hour ago, Holly W. said:

My surgery was February 2nd. 8 weeks post-op & it's been so much more overwhelming than I thought! food hurts going down & feels like rocks are piling up in my stomach. This is only 3-4 very small bites, well chewed, approved foods that are moist, eating slowly & no drinking Water with meals. Sometimes I'm in terrible pain! Even Water feels like it's backing up. My doctor scheduled me for an endoscopy Wednesday thinking I might have a stricture & possibly an ulcer. My stomach still hurts more than I thought it would in certain areas. Can anyone else relate? I thought I was very well prepared for this surgery but gosh!

Oh no! I'm just over 5 weeks out and I've been put back on liquids due to vomiting. It started just before 3 weeks with what I thought was an isolated incident because of some fish that was too dry. I had four hours of agony before I was finally able to expel everything from my stomach and have the pain stop. But 4 days later it happened with something else, and then three days after that it seemed that anything I tried to eat was triggering pain and vomiting. So I had to go back to liquids. I've been having Protein Shakes and cream Soups. It's been 9 days and I haven't had any more pain. I see the surgeon on Tuesday and am hoping he'll say I can start trying soft Protein again. I hope your doctor gets to the bottom of the issue for you soon! I'm grateful that water isn't causing any issues for me.

Hi @Holly W How are you feeling today ?

@NickelChip No pain is good at least ... how are you holding up with being back on liquids?

@RonHall908 So I'm might be betraying a secret of worldwide womanhood here but I think you'll find that most women use lotion all the time, everywhere... I certainly do am using Cerave as usual but my skin is scaly! I think @NickelChip might be right... maybe it's the lack of fat ...

I had gastric sleeve surgery on 21st February 😀

1 hour ago, Briss72 said:

I had gastric sleeve surgery on 21st February 😀

I was the 22nd. How are you feeling?

Hi @Briss72 I had mine on the 16th! How are you getting along ?

5 hours ago, BlueParis said:

@NickelChip No pain is good at least ... how are you holding up with being back on liquids?

So bored by liquids, but I'm managing. I seem to be losing an average of 1/2 pound a day, so that's nice, at least. If it continues at that pace, I'll be under 200lbs in less than a month from now. But I really miss variety in my diet and being able to chew. I like Soup, but there's only so much of it I can eat before losing interest.

8 hours ago, LisaCaryl said:

I was the 22nd. How are you feeling?

Most days I’m ok - still can’t tolerate eggs 🥲 and I love eggs. Currently at the I’m too scared to try again stage…

I have gotten better at Water intake 1.5 to 2 litres on average a day now (except yesterday don’t know what happened there I think I just forgot to drink)

sometimes I get pain when I try that one more bite (I haven’t learnt to listen to the full cues yet)

im back on coffee YaY! - one every couple of days with tasteless Protein Powder ( it’s my go to treat)

I need to walk more - but back in the pool

Most days I’m ok - still can’t tolerate eggs 🥲 and I love eggs. Currently at the I’m too scared to try again stage…

I have gotten better at Water intake 1.5 to 2 litres on average a day now (except yesterday don’t know what happened there I think I just forgot to drink)

sometimes I get pain when I try that one more bite (I haven’t learnt to listen to the full cues yet)

im back on coffee YaY! - one every couple of days with tasteless Protein Powder ( it’s my go to treat)

I need to walk more - but back in the pool

@Briss72 I don't have pain after one bite but when I eat too fast I deffo feel very very uncomfortable for the next 30-
45 minutes. I can't wait to start swimming again, the pool next to me is closed for maintenenace which is boring!