Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 surgeries in 16 months……..now looking at Gastric bypass

Hi

a little on what’s happened to me. 16 months ago I had to have gastric sleeve as my hiatus hernia and other issues had strangled my stomach. I had the hiatus hernia repaired at the same time. 4 weeks later I had to go in for a stretch as I couldn’t stomach soft foods. 3 months later I was still on purée and soft soft foods. We did more testing and surgery again to fix the hiatus. Things didn’t progress past the purée. I was sent to our state capital to see the head surgeon. After running more tests they found more issues. My stomach had moved above my heart. Causing most of my eating issues. I had surgery #4, 8 weeks ago. After a 3 Hr operation they repaired the hiatus, fixed my Nissan fundoplication and had to staple more stomach away as I had a pouch.
I was on liquid for 3 weeks, purée for 3 weeks. But a day after starting soft foods I am back to liquids/purée as everytime I ate it felt like an air bubble was blocked and I was vomiting.
now everytime I drink/eat/swallow saliva I get a sharp stabbing pain.
The surgeon has said I may have to have bypass. how has everyone coped with GB and any tips for me please?

Sleeve2bypass has been through a similar situation. Hopefully she'll see this and respond to you.

I agree ...........Sleeve2bypass has had so many things done,she's an expert by now , bless her heart ! I hope you can get the advice you're looking for :)

You’ve been through a lot and I pray your next surgery will fix your tummy issues and be your last surgery.

Hi there!!! I have been summoned, I see lol Ok, so a little about what I've been through, and then I'll give any advice I can.

I had the sleeve in May 2022. Initially, I was doing awesome. Lost a lot of weight, got off several meds, health issues corrected, it was awesome. Right up until it wasn't. Around 6 months post op, I started noticing some reflux issues (which I had never had before). It steadily got worse and I had to have a barium swallow (NASTY!!!) to see what was happening. I had severe GERD, gastritis, and esophagitis. I also had a narrowing esophagus.

So I was put on Nexium (40mg once per day). The GERD steadily got worse and worse until I was put on 80mg of Nexium daily as well as Pepcid for break through (which I took daily). It still didn't completely help. I was on such a high amount of PPI for such a long time that I ended up developing an OBSCENE amount of polyps all through my stomach and duodenum.

This year, I had 7 surgeries to remove all of the polyps, stretch my esophagus, and have a revision to a bypass. I also had to have the part of the stomach that's bypassed removed because that's where so many of the polyps were forming. When I had the sleeve, I had so much pain, trouble tolerating anything cold, trouble taking pills, trouble getting in enough Water. It was completely miserable. With my revision to bypass, it was like the heavens opened up and the angels started singing to me. No pain meds at all beyond Tylenol. Up and around within 4 days. Was able to take pills from day 1. No GERD at all. No Constipation like with the sleeve. Able to get my fluids in from day 1 (drank a 20 oz of water in the hospital within 2 hours of getting back to my room from recovery), no issues with temps of liquids. My only regret is that I didn't just get the bypass to begin with. Because of all the surgeries, my abdominal wall weakened and I developed a ventral hernia that was repaired 3 weeks ago. Still recovering from that one.

I was freaked out at first at the thought of getting a bypass. It's why I opted for the sleeve to begin with. I was afraid of dumping, I was afraid of malabsorption, I was afraid of getting a stricture. Well, I only dump if I have too many carbs, so I just avoid them for the most part (I never even get to my allotted amount, I'm always way under). I haven't had any stricture, but if I do, it's a super easy fix (and after everything I've already been through, I'm not even a tiny bit worried). And malabsorption is only an issue with extended release meds (I don't take those now) and Vitamins (take bariatric ones or double up on the regular ones). There was nothing to be worried about, but I let the chatter from those that weren't in my position freak me out and cause me to choose the sleeve instead of the bypass.

My advice to you is to not listen to anyone else. You and your doctor know what's best for you. The revision will give you your life back. Being pain and complication free is worth its weight in...well...everything. When you look at everything you've been through up until this point, the recovery from the revision will be a walk in the park. It's better for your health (physically and mentally) and it will allow you to get back to your life. This surgery is supposed to afford us the chance to have the life and health we've always been meant to, and complications can really do a number on us. The revision will be a godsend to you, mark my words. I don't have a single regret.

Hi Sleevetobypass

thank you for taking the time to respond. Prior to this surgery I had 2 barium swallows. The first time I couldn’t get the liquid in. I was just vomiting. So he got some videos and we rescheduled. I’ve had the dye contrast ct scan.
I had bad GERD and was on medication for about 6 yrs. That is not good. Before surgery I regurgitated with every meal. This time round I’ve regurgitated about 5 times. The surgeon said my oesophagus is narrow leading in to the stomach as some oesophagus was removed. I’ve told him I don’t want the stress as I had that last time and then all the issues started.
he told me at initial consult this time round in October that bypass would be the last resort. And now 3 months later it’s on the table.
I was never really big 105kg. They just had to remove parts of the stomach and the hiatus. Now in the last 48hrs the constant pain is in my right hip area. The ER said they can’t do anything as they need my records and everything here is closed.
I wanted a better quality of life and I’m not achieving this no matter what I do by the book. I haven’t had eggs, bread, rice or Pasta in 16 months and only 2 cans of fizz no sugar. That was towards the end when he told me I could as it wouldn’t damage anymore damage then is already done.
I guess I just have to keep taking the pain killers and wait for the 2nd Jan on his decision.

3 hours ago, Char V said:

Hi Sleevetobypass

thank you for taking the time to respond. Prior to this surgery I had 2 barium swallows. The first time I couldn’t get the liquid in. I was just vomiting. So he got some videos and we rescheduled. I’ve had the dye contrast ct scan.
I had bad GERD and was on medication for about 6 yrs. That is not good. Before surgery I regurgitated with every meal. This time round I’ve regurgitated about 5 times. The surgeon said my oesophagus is narrow leading in to the stomach as some oesophagus was removed. I’ve told him I don’t want the stress as I had that last time and then all the issues started.
he told me at initial consult this time round in October that bypass would be the last resort. And now 3 months later it’s on the table.
I was never really big 105kg. They just had to remove parts of the stomach and the hiatus. Now in the last 48hrs the constant pain is in my right hip area. The ER said they can’t do anything as they need my records and everything here is closed.
I wanted a better quality of life and I’m not achieving this no matter what I do by the book. I haven’t had eggs, bread, rice or Pasta in 16 months and only 2 cans of fizz no sugar. That was towards the end when he told me I could as it wouldn’t damage anymore damage then is already done.
I guess I just have to keep taking the pain killers and wait for the 2nd Jan on his decision.

The sleeve is never, ever recommended for someone with reflux or GERD. It's known to make it so, so much worse. I didn't even have it and the sleeve created it. My concern is that the bypass will cause significant weight loss, and if you're already not that big (231 pounds = 105kg) then it could be an issue. However, depending on your height, it might actually get you within normal height/weight proportions and get you into a normal BMI (body mass index). I can tell you, it WILL alleviate your GERD issues, your inability to eat anything, and get rid of most of what's causing your pain. You definitely will get your life back, and the recovery really isn't bad. You'll need to be careful with how much sugar and carbs you eat, and you will definitely eat much smaller portions, but give the current issues you have I think that might actually be a good thing. Going based off only what you've told me, I really think the bypass will be a good thing for you. I know it sounds scary, but I promise it's not. Especially when you consider everything you've already been through, and the benefits of the surgery itself.

3 hours ago, Char V said:

Hi Sleevetobypass

Ok I just checked your bmi. You're 5'1" (157cm) and 231 pounds. That puts your bmi at 43.6 which puts you in the obese category. So actually, the bypass will help with that, as well as your other health issues you have going on. So I'm not worried about the weight loss now, which was the biggest concern I had. I think, between the weight loss and the other health concerns you have and your inability to eat, you will do extremely well with the bypass.

Thank you for your advice.
I had originally gone in to repair the hernia. But some of my stomach was damaged and he had suggested as I was over weight to do the sleeve. I said to do what they needed to do. After he was unable to fix the ongoing issues I was referred to another surgeon who did all the repairs and moved away some more stomach. I had bulging pockets. It was an extensive surgery(3hrs)

I don’t have sugar or sugary foods. And as for carbs. I haven’t had them since surgery #1 and this surgeon has told me not to have them at this stage.

25 minutes ago, Char V said:

Thank you for your advice.
I had originally gone in to repair the hernia. But some of my stomach was damaged and he had suggested as I was over weight to do the sleeve. I said to do what they needed to do. After he was unable to fix the ongoing issues I was referred to another surgeon who did all the repairs and moved away some more stomach. I had bulging pockets. It was an extensive surgery(3hrs)

I don’t have sugar or sugary foods. And as for carbs. I haven’t had them since surgery #1 and this surgeon has told me not to have them at this stage.

If you're already staying away from sugar and carbs, you're ahead of the game. I think the bypass will definitely improve things drastically for you. The sleeve was never a viable option for you because of the GERD. I'm wishing you all kinds of luck, but I know you'll come through it ok. Don't be afraid of the revision. It's the easiest part of everything you've been through.

Edited by SleeveToBypass2023

On 12/30/2023 at 10:25 AM, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

If you're already staying away from sugar and carbs, you're ahead of the game. I think the bypass will definitely improve things drastically for you. The sleeve was never a viable option for you because of the GERD. I'm wishing you all kinds of luck, but I know you'll come through it ok. Don't be afraid of the revision. It's the easiest part of everything you've been through.

Hi Sleeve to Bypass.
good to know I never got the bypass. I was so worried cause of you saying the weight loss and all.

I ended up in Emergency NYE as I couldn’t intake anything. I was in so much pain and extremely dehydrated.
They went in and found I had to perforations. One just above the fundoplication on my oesophagus and the other in the stomach. A week in hospital on intravenous meds and now 1 week home and I am feeling so much better.