Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Surgery Buddies!

Hey all, Thought I'd check in. Had my sleeve and hiatal hernia repair done on 12/13. Most of it has gone pretty smooth with no nausea and little pain aside from one spot. This one spot is about two inches to the right of the right side incision and its deep. Like when they did the incision they did it at an angle and it has done nothing but burned and stung horribly from the beginning. It was the only thing that held me back from getting up and walking more during my overnight stay. Even once I got home it still took me way to long to get moving. The hysterectomy pillow I got has helped but the ab binder had been a life saver. It still burns and pulls and stings, but I am actually finally able to walk two houses down and half the block width now instead of just barely able to run laps in the house. I think its honestly the stitch they put in that incision. ugh. But bearing through it. As far as food, Full liquid until my follow up next Thursday and then I should be able to move to pureed at that point. Had a slight sensation in the base of my throat the first 3 days or so but after that haven't had any issues drinking 20 oz for lunch and Breakfast and dinner and another 17 oz through out the day. Getting in almost 90g of Protein and hitting my 70 oz of water/fluid intake in. Oh also went from 309.4 morning of surgery to 322.8 after. I finally was back to 310 this morning! Hope everyone else is doing well!

Edited by SmoknDudette

Hello! I just got my surgery last week on the 13th. At my last appointment at the weightloss centre I was 252 pounds. That was about 2 and a half weeks before surgery. But, at my pre op appointment, a week and a half before surgery, I was down to 247. On the 18th, 5 days after my surgery they weighed me at 240 I believe. This morning, my scale said 229. My doctors office is going by my last weight with them, but I'm going with my last preop weight. Either way it's almost 20 pounds in one week and two days! It's crazy! I don't see the 20 pounds gone yet, but that's okay! I am missing crunchy foods though! But the sugar free pudding, chili and mashed potatoes have been rather good to eat over that clear liquid diet!

5 hours ago, Healthyforyear30 said:

Hi all, I had my surgery 12/19. So two days post op. Something that really hit me like a frieght train was the nausea I knew about gas pains and such but the nausea has been crippling when getting any liquids in. Any tips?

I felt the same, it was awful.. The only way it went was getting anti sickness medication from the Dr and I was told to get get in me the most important meds and it will pass. Good luck x

VSG Day 12/18/23

I am just a few days post-op and feeling ok other than a bit of Constipation and gas pain in my shoulders from the surgery. I am struggling to meet my liquid goal of 64oz but I am getting enough to keep my urine clear according to the daily chart my surgeon has me filling our every day. I have a lot of bruising but almost zero pain. I didn’t take any of the pain meds they sent home. I don’t know if I have a high tolerance for pain or a really good surgeon. I’m a little loopy I think from not getting proper nutrition on the liquid diet, so my grocery order is being delivered.

I’m glad to hear for the most part everything is going well. I am 4 day until my surgery and I am so nervous. I am hoping it goes well recovery.

yeah I did all my grocery stuff before. I just have to refill some stuff.

I hope you continue to have a comfortable recovery. Keep us updated!!

hey everyone,

just a quick update, I’m now 4 days post op! Feeling way more human, been on a little walk around the village I live in, Protein Water is going down well and Collegan lattes. Struggling to sleep on my back but sure I’ll get used to it soon!

Hope everyone else is doing ok!! Xxx

Hi friends!
I’m now 9 days post op. I’m in the puréed food stage and although my diet plan had this amazing sounding broccoli and cheese Soup (puréed) recipe, it did not set well on my tummy. I ended up experiencing my first “dumping syndrome” last night as a result of about 3 teaspoons of that soup. I’ll say it has been a challenge to learn what my body will and will not tolerate. Just because it’s in a recipe book doesn’t always mean YOUR body can handle it. The experience I’ve had so far was that when I take a bite of something I’ll sit and let it digest a little to see how my belly feels about it. Most of the time it responds with gassy feelings, but the times where it feels PAINFUL, usually means it’s a no for me, at least for this stage. But last night the soup gave me no indication that it was going to end badly, so I had three teaspoons-to my delight as my family was eating it too-so I didn’t feel so “odd-man out” for this meal. But regardless, I’m feeling that cheeses, even smooth cheeses, for me may not be an option right now. If you’ve experienced the “dump”, what are some of the indicators you’ve had to tell you BEWARE?
Also, did you feel absolutely depleted afterward? I felt like I just ran a marathon and all I wanted was rest. It was awful!

Hey everyone, I am new here - Surgery coming up on the 28th! Hope everyone is doing great!

Hey guys!!! Day 9 🎉 I cannot believe we all made it!!! Those who already had surgery you all are killing it! Those with the date of the 27,28,29th!!! There is the light!!! I am beyond proud of myself and love this support group! I am very scared of this dumping phase and learning everything but I just can't wait to see the new me! This momma is tired and is long overdue for a new change for herself!

21 minutes ago, Felicia1288 said:

Hey guys!!! Day 9 🎉 I cannot believe we all made it!!! Those who already had surgery you all are killing it! Those with the date of the 27,28,29th!!! There is the light!!! I am beyond proud of myself and love this support group! I am very scared of this dumping phase and learning everything but I just can't wait to see the new me! This momma is tired and is long overdue for a new change for herself!

I’m sooooo happy for you!!! I’m 4 days until surgery. Struggling with the preop but making it work. I can’t wait to see the updates from you!!!

2 hours ago, Laura.1912 said:

hey everyone,

just a quick update, I’m now 4 days post op! Feeling way more human, been on a little walk around the village I live in, Protein Water is going down well and Collegan lattes. Struggling to sleep on my back but sure I’ll get used to it soon!

Hope everyone else is doing ok!! Xxx

So happy to hear. Yeah sleeping on your back is hard. I have never been able to but I guess I will have to figure it out. Good thing I have my cpap machine. Are you sleeping on your back because the incisions? Do you normally sleep on your side?

1 hour ago, CJanaro said:

Hey everyone, I am new here - Surgery coming up on the 28th! Hope everyone is doing great!

Hey! I’m the 27th! There are a lot of us around the same time. Getting off the new year to a bang ‼️. Hope your surgery goes well.

8 minutes ago, MLC3409 said:

So happy to hear. Yeah sleeping on your back is hard. I have never been able to but I guess I will have to figure it out. Good thing I have my cpap machine. Are you sleeping on your back because the incisions? Do you normally sleep on your side?

Thanks!

I normally sleep on my side/sometimes my front so it’s been a huge thing to get used to!! I’m propping myself up though too, and I’m sleeping on my back because of my incisions